Dewsbury v Sheffield

Crown Flatter

Another must win match coming up on Sunday. 
I noticed that the Sheffield team against Toulouse lacked a few of the usual names, saving them to play against us perhaps?

Dewsbury  24-20 Sheffield 

FTS: Gabriel 

MoM: Annakin!

Att: 464

Legs, Dews, Legs.

19 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I noticed that the Sheffield team against Toulouse lacked a few of the usual names, saving them to play against us perhaps?

Rams 12 - Ex Rams 16

FTS: Rob Worrincy !!!!!

att: 456

5 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Feeling optimistic, Sheffield have had some poor results and we should have a few back hopefully like Day and Walton. 

Let's hope we show a bit more creativity near the line and improve our kicking game.

Garratt is in the 21, but no Sam Day again:

Martin; Gabriel, Fleming, Oakes, Dixon;

Sykes, Finn; Magrin, Buttereorth, Garratt, Walton, Knowles, Annakin

Hall, Speakman, Beckett, Smith

Storey, Stevens, Carr, Hawksworth. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

A really difficult game to predict given that we don't know as yet which players will be available for either side. We have one or more coming back, possibly a player on debut but lost a couple to injury last week. Sheffield had quite a few missing against Toulouse but a couple of their players have been absent for a few weeks now, whether due to injury r other reasons nobody knows (very little information ever seems to come out of that club). We picked up a bit last week and they haven't been doing well but it really could go either way.

One important factor for us will be the attendance. Meaning no disrespect to the small band of very loyal supporters that Sheffield have, they never bring many under normal circumstances, and these are anything but. Hence the size of the crowd will be a direct reflection on how much interest there really is amongst our fans in attending games. I am hopeful but not optimistic in this respect.

I will plump for:

Rams 24 - 19 Eagles

FTS: Oakes

Att: 725

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

22 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I think we might just scrape a win also.If that is the att.though it has got to be a worry.You can understand why to a point,but will they come back?

7 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

Garratt is in the 21, but no Sam Day again:

Martin; Gabriel, Fleming, Oakes, Dixon;

Sykes, Finn; Magrin, Buttereorth, Garratt, Walton, Knowles, Annakin

Hall, Speakman, Beckett, Smith

Storey, Stevens, Carr, Hawksworth. 

I suspect that there are a couple of random names in that 21 just to confuse the opposition. Day was missing due to Covid so he mustn't have got past his isolation period yet, otherwise he would surely have been in the 21.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Very tough game and some excellent defence. Sheffield were the usual niggly, cheap shot, collection led by Farrell. Thought the referee was too easily influenced by Eagles players appeals. Sheffield were a mile offside to block Knowles drop goal attempt

Good first half and showed some good touches. Second half we just lacked organisation near their line. 

Thought Beckett was excellent, Garratt did another 80 minute stint and backs worked their socks off. Lewis Carr looks a class act, just needs half a gap 

Credit to Thackeray, he made or scored all their tries and excellent kicking game. Still a class player.

And glad to see Eagles fans getting their drum back after the game.

Not lacking effort again,but we fall the same players antics every time we play against him.We all know who that is.  We got penalised for putting somebody hard on his back- should that have been a penalty?  Mr.Thackeray was outstanding with his kicking game.How much did we get for him-certainly not enough since the pain he caused  us since he left. No points scored in the second half again.O well at least we got something.

Great effort from the lads and cracking defence throughout but a draw almost certainly a fair result.  Just disappointing that it happened so late on and by a penalty.  Still lack ideas on attack but can’t fault the effort.  
They are a one man team from what I can see and take their scrum half out of their team and pop him in ours and we’d have walked it.   

40 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

One thing that confused me yesterday was why we didn't kick more at Worrincy given his weakness under the high ball. One kick in his area got a try and then we never did it again.

Agree 100%.    Poor thinking really.  Did we kick to him once ?

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Felt like a defeat yesterday,18-4 up and cruising. We started to react to the grubby tactics of Sheffield,mainly by Joel Farrell and our discipline was poor poor 2nd half.

I felt the same way and LG said much the same on Radio Leeds. Also on the radio, Davey Dixon said that the lads had discussed Sheffield’s sinister tactics and warned each other not to get drawn in. Pity Finny wasn’t involved the discussions.

I want to watch the highlights to see if Thackeray’s pass for their final try was forward and check if WR is correct in saying that the Eagles were offside at Knowles’ rushed DG attempt. I shouted for a DG attempt in the first half and also in the second period when the HT score hadn’t changed.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

5 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I felt the same way and LG said much the same on Radio Leeds. Also on the radio, Davey Dixon said that the lads had discussed Sheffield’s sinister tactics and warned each other not to get drawn in. Pity Finny wasn’t involved the discussions.

I want to watch the highlights to see if Thackeray’s pass for their final try was forward and check if WR is correct in saying that the Eagles were offside at Knowles’ rushed DG attempt. I shouted for a DG attempt in the first half and also in the second period when the HT score hadn’t changed.

The pass from Thackeray to Brown looked forward. 

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

One thing that confused me yesterday was why we didn't kick more at Worrincy given his weakness under the high ball. One kick in his area got a try and then we never did it again.

If you watched closely they didn't place Worrincey in the corners for kick offs but had him positioned closer to half way, protecting him from this type of attack - quite clever really and we didn't seem to either notice or exploit this. We only ever seem to kick towards our right, never left and generally the same applies in our passing movements - too predictable. The kick that did result in a try was actually a miskick as Sykes was being tackled when he got boot to ball, which made it much more difficult for their player (not Worrincey) to catch.

I didn't think that we were ever in control: we played most of the game in their half due in part to regularly giving up easy yards but also due to our inability to hold on to the ball - a couple of players in particular have been guilty of this over the last few games. I dread to think what our completion rate was but it looked quite poor.

Everyone, including the players (but often not referees apparently) know how Sheffield will play - every niggly trick under the sun - but they have to be prepared for that and not get drawn into it. I think that we failed in this respect in the second half.

Overall a draw seemed like a fair result, no matter how galling it is to let such a lead slip.

43 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

The pass from Thackeray to Brown looked forward. 

It will be interesting to see the video - maybe it was a case of Stevo's "momentum rule"?

To be honest I thought we were fortunate to be 14 points up in the first half. Knowles scored a great try running at speed onto an accurate pass near the line to score, but apart from that we were lucky and Sheffield always looked more organised than us. Without Knowles we would really struggle as his tackling and attacking are really forceful not to mention his disruption of the opponents game. We still send Gabriel running into big forwards and our right wing is wide open. This is not to criticise the players on the right edge however but to point out that we seem to have more players in the area around the opponents play the ball than are needed. You thus get more players attacking our right edge than we have defenders. Some players must be moving to the wrong side to defend rather than where they are needed. Isn’t it the full backs job to tell them where we are short on players? ( although his general play is good ) Nobody can be faulted on effort but we play as individuals on attack and never look organised and dangerous. Even Swinton can attack with more formation than us. Altogether I came away from the game very disappointed and dare not think how many Batley will score against us. — but hope I am wrong.  ( replies not invited )

We need a Thackeray!

11 hours ago, myview said:

To be honest I thought we were fortunate to be 14 points up in the first half. Knowles scored a great try running at speed onto an accurate pass near the line to score, but apart from that we were lucky and Sheffield always looked more organised than us. Without Knowles we would really struggle as his tackling and attacking are really forceful not to mention his disruption of the opponents game. We still send Gabriel running into big forwards and our right wing is wide open. This is not to criticise the players on the right edge however but to point out that we seem to have more players in the area around the opponents play the ball than are needed. You thus get more players attacking our right edge than we have defenders. Some players must be moving to the wrong side to defend rather than where they are needed. Isn’t it the full backs job to tell them where we are short on players? ( although his general play is good ) Nobody can be faulted on effort but we play as individuals on attack and never look organised and dangerous. Even Swinton can attack with more formation than us. Altogether I came away from the game very disappointed and dare not think how many Batley will score against us. — but hope I am wrong.  ( replies not invited )

We need a 26 year old Thackeray!

Fixed your typo.

😃

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Fixed your typo.

😃

Well. Highlights in and “that” pass was a mile forward.   The last minute penalty decision looks a shocker too.  From what I can see the Thug just picks a fight with Finny and ended up with a penalty.  Was initially happy with a draw on the balance of play but it sticks in the craw now. 

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Well. Highlights in and “that” pass was a mile forward.   The last minute penalty decision looks a shocker too.  From what I can see the Thug just picks a fight with Finny and ended up with a penalty.  Was initially happy with a draw on the balance of play but it sticks in the craw now. 

I watched the same highlights Nick and the pass looked OK to me. It just goes to show how difficult it is to judge these things instantly.

The penalty was galling but Farrell provoked Finn into retaliating and, sadly, retaliation is regarded as more worthy of punishment. It is water under the bridge now but I still don't understand that particular decision.

Archived