Catalans becoming dominant or others slipping?

I really like Catalans - so this is not a slight on them - but wondered if they have actually suddenly clicked into being a top class SL club or whether they have just sustained their consistency (and a settled experienced squad) and other "big clubs" are losing their way?

The Dragons really have been disadvantaged having had to travel back and forth all the way through Covid but seem to be really clicking into gear this year. Is this an emergence of a powerhouse big club or a reflection of other clubs (and the quality) slipping? Catalans, if anyone, are the club who should be struggling, complaining and skint. They are currently showing the way despite all the challenges.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think they’ve particularly clicked at all. They’ve grown well since McNamara has gone in and since then they’ve won the Challenge Cup, finished 4th and got within 80 minutes of the Grand Final so it’s little surprise to see they’re up there and doing well. 

Their recruitment and retention has improved markably, with the odd blot (Hi Israel) and the likes of Tomkins, Davies, Whitley, McIlorum, Maloney, Whare are working well alongside the likes of the home grown talent in Mourgue, Yaha, Romano etc. 

While a first place finish is ultimately successful, it’s a different kettle of fish winning the Grand Final. 

According to the other thread, you know the depressing one about how dire the game on the field is now Catalans are profiting from how poor everyone but Saints have become.

Sorry if that ends this thread in its tracks.

Cal y ana Les Dracs!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Sam Tomkins talks about this on the latest Out of Your League (always worth a watch/listen in my view). They are all too aware that Catalans have been up and down more than a whore's drawers but they've actively worked hard on improving their consistency. 

I don't think a team ever rises to the top of the ladder without it being a combination of them improving and others slipping. They've built a good squad and have had a good run with injuries. If they keep it up, some people around here might even need to concede McNamara can actually coach a little bit!

33 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I really like Catalans - so this is not a slight on them - but wondered if they have actually suddenly clicked into being a top class SL club or whether they have just sustained their consistency (and a settled experienced squad) and other "big clubs" are losing their way?

The Dragons really have been disadvantaged having had to travel back and forth all the way through Covid but seem to be really clicking into gear this year. Is this an emergence of a powerhouse big club or a reflection of other clubs (and the quality) slipping? Catalans, if anyone, are the club who should be struggling, complaining and skint. They are currently showing this way despite all the challenges.

I consider that Catalan are playing as well if not better than they have ever done, but as for the second part of your question I think that collectively the standard of SL has and still is in decline in both quality and entertainment value and it has been happening season on season for a number a years, whether this can be attributed to rule changes or simply the standard of player's available these days, I suspect 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.

They have always been capable of putting in a great performance but this year they have added consistency especially away from home.

They now look a real good Superleague side and are a genuine contender alongside Wire & Saints.

Remember when loads of people on here were slagging off McNamara? Turns out he's a pretty good coach. He's made them very hard to beat, they are a nightmare to play against and have enough flair to open teams up. 

It just took time for the coaching set up to add consistency and for players to bed in. They signed well adding leaders in key positions too. I'm enjoying watching Catalans progress this year 

When you see Maloney's career you begin to understand.
The guy has been in consistently performing teams. He's not a passenger and we'll miss him when he goes.

It's no coincidence that we're clicking when Maloney is on the pitch with Tomkins running riot.
He's vocal, he knows the game, he's just better than most a leading a team.

11 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

When you see Maloney's career you begin to understand.
The guy has been in consistently performing teams. He's not a passenger and we'll miss him when he goes.

It's no coincidence that we're clicking when Maloney is on the pitch with Tomkins running riot.
He's vocal, he knows the game, he's just better than most a leading a team.

Is he finished after this season or is he open to an other year.

Shame he hasn't really seen the best of SL - magic weekend in the sun, playing infront of big crowds at places like Leeds and Wire - that's the real difference between SL and the NRL- the crowd atmosphere.

Used to love going to watch NRL games when I lived in Oz but match day experience us miles away from a top SL game infront of a big crowd.

They've been in positions like this before and then the wheels have come off. So I'm not totally convinced by them yet.

They look like a genuine contender though which is great. In fact I'd say we have 5 clubs who will genuinely think they can reach a GF this year. Catalans, Saints and Wire look slightly better than the rest, but Hull are still ticking along quite nicely and will now start getting some players back, and I certainly aren't writing Wigan off yet. I think any of those 5 are capable of beating eachother if they play well on the day.

For me a key reason for Catalans improvement is Sam Moa and Remi Casty moving on. Both were well past their prime.

The Dracs pack has more punch and has - so far - been more disciplined. It's been a while since we saw Catalans headhunting like a gang of drunken lads on a Friday night.  

Catalans aren't dominant, They're playing well at the moment and have put a good run together, but they've been knocked out the cup and there's a very long way to go before the GF. They've also been helped by being able to largely field a strong side week after week as they haven't been as badly affected by injuries as a lot of other clubs have so far this year. But as we all know that can quickly turn and they could easily find themselves losing 6 or 7 key players for long periods.

They've been here several time before and aside from their CC win they've always fallen short.

All the clubs are going to be hit by injuries, fixture pile-ups, multiple Covid postponements etc. at some point this year probably leading to a dip in form. They've also still got a fair few difficult fixtures like Saints away (twice), Wire away, Wigan away

So while they're top of SL now lets just wait see where they are come the end of the season.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I can't help but feel RL fans will only really be happy if Saints, Leeds and Wigan are beating everyone and continue winning every trophy. As soon as anyone even gets close to challenging them it is seen as an example of standards dropping. 

The consistency is much better (so far). The different between Les Cats on a good day and a bad day has narrowed, and in the right direction.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

The Dragons really have been disadvantaged having had to travel back and forth all the way through Covid but seem to be really clicking into gear this year. Is this an emergence of a powerhouse big club or a reflection of other clubs (and the quality) slipping? Catalans, if anyone, are the club who should be struggling, complaining and skint. They are currently showing the way despite all the challenges.

I have no doubt that if the Catalan Dragons were to win the Grand final the RFL/ SL would put many obstacles in there way for next season. Look what the inept RFL did the following season after the Catalans won the challenge cup

29 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The consistency is much better (so far). The different between Les Cats on a good day and a bad day has narrowed, and in the right direction.

Unlike Wigan and Castleford 😕 

53 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Catalans look the real deal this year. Leeds v Catalans a week today is massive, the 2 form teams in Super League, it’ll be a real test for them.

Leeds Form 😂 you site 7th in the table with a 50% win ratio and you last 3 victories have been against teams sitting lower in the table, 8th, 11th & 12th

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I can't help but feel RL fans will only really be happy if Saints, Leeds and Wigan are beating everyone and continue winning every trophy. As soon as anyone even gets close to challenging them it is seen as an example of standards dropping. 

Standards have also dropped at the club's you mention, just that the others have yet still to catch up, maybe this year?

Archived