Inglis released with immediate effect

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I think Inglis was worth the risk when you consider the cost of the deal.

I keep hearing remarks along these lines but what was the cost of the deal? How does anyone even know?

I can't imagine Inglis coming out of retirement and jeopardising his long term health, as well as giving up a media career, for peanuts. This is particularly so in the midst of a global pandemic which can potentially leave you stranded at the other side of the world.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Like all clubs, we have made signibgs across the scale ranging from rubbish, to world class. 

Widdop, despite the challenges in his home life due to the pandemic, has turned out to be every bit the marquee player. Shame he’ll probably be going at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

He certainly played his part in that team. He didn’t play to the level we saw from the NRL, but maybe that was down to Price.

On the flip side, those two finals and the 2019 cup win wouldn’t have been possible without the defensive resilience that Price instilled in the team. If only he could get us playing clinical in attack and consistently well against ‘lower’ teams.

I'm not a Roberts fan, but I think he is deemed worse than he actually was because he wasn't a very exciting talent. I do think had we had a classy 6, even Austin alongside his time here may be remembered more fondly, as he was a solid organiser. 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I keep hearing remarks along these lines but what was the cost of the deal? How does anyone even know?

Because we didn’t have much cap space left and he believed he retired too early. He wasn’t going to get a second chance in the NRL, so why not give it a go at a club with a large fan base where he can supplement his income with sales of his clothing range? He also gets a nice house in the country for a year where his missus gets to work with horses.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I can't imagine Inglis coming out of retirement and jeopardising his long term health, as well as giving up a media career, for peanuts. This is particularly so in the midst of a global pandemic which can potentially leave you stranded at the other side of the world.

Yeah spot on. This signing player to sell shirts is bull dust unless that player actually makes some sort of impression. Which Ingles never was.

Strewth, they probably could have signed Usain Bolt and stuck him on the wing and got more value out of him than they did out this Ingles deal.

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah spot on. This signing player to sell shirts is bull dust unless that player actually makes some sort of impression. Which Ingles never was.

Strewth, they probably could have signed Usain Bolt and stuck him on the wing and got more value out of him than they did out this Ingles deal.

Leigh did it with the sprinter Mcdonald bailey I believe in the 50s or 60s

It’s all irrelevant anyway. We just saw a 19 year old Wire academy product outplay a current England centre. And an 18 year old fullback make Jackson Hastings look pretty ordinary.

If Warrington were mid-table without a confirmed coach for next year I’d be worried about Inglis-type signings. But we aren’t, we have a coach on the way who is proven at improving players and we have some excellent youth filtering through. Drop in the odd marquee player (which the club is able to afford) and things aren’t looking that bad. If the worst thing that happens at your club is consistently being a GF runner-up with a bunch of cup wins then so be it. 

Everyone knew it was a gamble and, unlike what the adverts like to suggest, they don't always pay off. I thought it was worth a try, and Inglis will still be an asset to the club as he's staying on in a mentoring role 'til the end of the season.

Maybe he can get a bit of TV/Radio punditry work too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Warrington are no mugs, they’d have been aware of the risks of signing him and it seems they acted accordingly (ie offering a one year deal). It’s not come off for them or for Inglis but Warrington seem willing to try these things, as they did with Burrell, where others don’t. If it comes off, they’re laughing, if it doesn’t, they’ve not lost out on much. 

As for Inglis, it’s a sad end to a stellar career. He was a superb talent in his prime. 

45 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Don’t think so. You can’t release a player who is injured to make space on the cap once they’ve taken part in the season. Well, that was the rule anyway. Maybe it’s changed.

I also think it’s a bit unfair to not mention that GI could just ###### off and spend the rest of the year in a holiday location with his missus until Aus relax the quarantine rules. Instead, he’s saying to mentor the academy players which is fantastic. Imagine working with one of the GOATs as a young centre or fullback. Any coincidence that Thewlis and Wrench were two of the best players on the field at Wigan this week? 

Yeap total coincidence 

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Yeap total coincidence 

As I say, maybe it’s changed. Not heard anything to suggest that but then we don’t usually hear about these things until it happens.

Maybe the RFL just want Williams back playing again. I can’t wait to see these boards if they’ve bent the rules for Warrington though. Ouch.

57 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Because we didn’t have much cap space left and he believed he retired too early. He wasn’t going to get a second chance in the NRL, so why not give it a go at a club with a large fan base where he can supplement his income with sales of his clothing range? He also gets a nice house in the country for a year where his missus gets to work with horses.

Inglis was being courted by NRL clubs though wasn't he, after he announced interest in resuming playing?

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

He certainly played his part in that team. He didn’t play to the level we saw from the NRL, but maybe that was down to Price.

On the flip side, those two finals and the 2019 cup win wouldn’t have been possible without the defensive resilience that Price instilled in the team. If only he could get us playing clinical in attack and consistently well against ‘lower’ teams.

I disagree, Roberts was ordinary in SL and he was also ordinary in NRL.............which is why Holbrook got shot of him when he went to the Titans. Much like Cogger, who has also been ordinary in both competitions............there's a theme here, but I can't quite put my finger on it 🤔

50 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

It’s all irrelevant anyway. We just saw a 19 year old Wire academy product outplay a current England centre. And an 18 year old fullback make Jackson Hastings look pretty ordinary.

Hopefully they get a starting squad number next year. History says they won’t though. 

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Hopefully they get a starting squad number next year. History says they won’t though. 

I’m almost certain Wrench will be alongside King (another academy product), with Mata’utia fighting for the spot too.

Thewlis probably won’t displace an England player in Ratchford just yet, but he regularly gets put in on the wing just to get him in the team.

Longstaff is another who has shown himself to be a potential star, he’s being kept out by an England international (Currie) and a Knights international (Hughes). I’m pretty sure he’ll take the place of Hughes first.

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I’m almost certain Wrench will be alongside King (another academy product), with Mata’utia fighting for the spot too.

Thewlis probably won’t displace an England player in Ratchford just yet, but he regularly gets put in on the wing just to get him in the team.

Longstaff is another who has shown himself to be a potential star, he’s being kept out by an England international (Currie) and a Knights international (Hughes). I’m pretty sure he’ll take the place of Hughes first.

I'm not sure we have missed out on much real quality talent by releasing them and not putting them in the first team have we? 

I can't think of many who have gone on to better things and we have been proven wrong. Gareth O'brien has had a decent career but he isn't better than Ratchford. 

19 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Asotasi

tyrone roberts

Burrell (not overseas, but a “star” from outside the game)

Widdop year 1

Austin years 2 and 3

Greg Inglis

Shocking recruitment from us for years now....

No more questions m’lud.

What a weird list. 

But are we just going to ignore the good signings? 

I’ve no doubt Warrington have a slightly higher proportion of well-paid failed NRL to SL converts than other clubs, but that’s in part due to a) having the money to spend on them, b) not much other talent available and c) an Australian coach who prefers to trust NRL talent.

Warrington haven’t been consistent enough, we all know that. It’s not solely down to underperforming marquee signings, and over the last 10 years we compare favourably in terms of trophies, shields and finals.

The big missing link now is getting a coach who can get the best out a good squad. Smith so nearly did it for a couple of years. Price did a few good things but neither of them managed to make good players even better. Hopefully Powell can. I think 2011-2013 was the last time we genuinely looked like being the new name on the SL trophy.

19 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Too right it’s a weird list!

Tell me all great signings then please.

We have had some great signings, depending how far back we are allowed to go. If we can go back over the last 10-12 years I’d have to say:

M Monaghan

J Monaghan 

Hicks 

Solomona

L Anderson

Hodgson

Goodwin

Widdop (year 1 doesn’t count as he was injured pre-season then his wife and kids disappeared back home)

*Austin would be on there if he wasn’t on a marquee salary.

Admittedly, there’s not many from the last 7-8 years, probably because it’s difficult to attract real NRL quality or compete with salaries.

5 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

We have had some great signings, depending how far back we are allowed to go. If we can go back over the last 10-12 years I’d have to say:

M Monaghan

J Monaghan 

Hicks 

Solomona

L Anderson

Hodgson

Goodwin

Widdop (year 1 doesn’t count as he was injured pre-season then his wife and kids disappeared back home)

*Austin would be on there if he wasn’t on a marquee salary.

Admittedly, there’s not many from the last 7-8 years, probably because it’s difficult to attract real NRL quality or compete with salaries.

Recruitment for the last 5 years has been pretty dire....IMHO.

11 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Recruitment for the last 5 years has been pretty dire....IMHO.

Not much return for the money spent recently, I’d agree. I’m happy enough with Widdop though, COVID just spoiled things there.

One thing is certain, there is a big break-up of the squad this year. Austin, Lineham, Mamo already confirmed as leaving. Hill seems to have taken up a two year deal at Hudds. Widdop probably off to the NRL to be back with his kids. A lot of squad players such as J Clark and Akauola going. Inglis retired. Davis and a few others out of contract.

Powell will hopefully be refreshing the whole mindset of the squad and there will be many younger eager players. What we really need though is an on-field leader and winner in the mould of A Farrell, Sculthorpe or O’Loughlin. Even Tomkins fits that bill.

Archived