Mon 5 Jul: SL: Warrington Wolves v Leeds Rhinos KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/21 at 19:15

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Do you not think that looking at the squads named Wire shouldn't comfortably beat that Leeds team? 

To me it is pretty obvious. They underperformed badly. 

Just bear with me a second, I need to just pop over to the England game thread for something relevant from you to paraphrase. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, DoubleD said:

What’s happened to Ashton? Not heard about him for a while, is he injured? I was surprised to hear Wire linked with Dufty when they’ve got Ashton and Rashford. Can’t say I’ve seen anything from Thewlis to suggest he’s going to be a top player

I wondered about Ashton as well and was surprised nobody mentioned him before you did.

Thewlis looks like a good lad though, I think he just had one of those games, sadly.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

10 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Do you not think that looking at the squads named Wire shouldn't comfortably beat that Leeds team? 

To me it is pretty obvious. They underperformed badly. 

Got one....

Not only were you wrong, but they actually got beat by a team down to 11 men at one point.

Based on those facts, I actually do think there is some misplaced arrogance in there! 👍🏽

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Got one....

Not only were you wrong, but they actually got beat by a team down to 11 men at one point.

Based on those facts, I actually do think there is some misplaced arrogance in there! 👍🏽

Down to 11 because they were cheating 

12 minutes ago, MZH said:

I'm still not totally sure what to make of Leeds. In pre season I had them on the edge of playoff contention and just couldn't understand why some people expected them to do so well. But since they got over some early season injuries they look a decent side. They have a very strong pack which will make them tough to beat. The halves and backline are still lacking though.

Depth is their problem, but if they stay fit we could have a really good playoff race on our hands.

This Leeds team, to me, have looked hugely impressive for most of the season. Even, in fact particularly, when they had most of the team out injured but still put in some outstanding performances.

As you say the pack is immense, I think with another year on them plus Bentley next year possibly the strongest in the league. The halves next year will be Gale + Sezer, the backline has Jack Walker, Richie Myler and Harry Newman to add back to tonight's.

I'm ridiculously, almost unnaturally, confident about how the next couple of years are going to pan out for Leeds.

Ashton had ankle surgery in mid-May. It was expected to be a three month lay-off at that point.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 hours ago, MZH said:

I'm still not totally sure what to make of Leeds. In pre season I had them on the edge of playoff contention and just couldn't understand why some people expected them to do so well. But since they got over some early season injuries they look a decent side. They have a very strong pack which will make them tough to beat. The halves and backline are still lacking though.

Depth is their problem, but if they stay fit we could have a really good playoff race on our hands.

Depth is our problem? Last night we had players with squad numbers 20, 24, 25, 26 and 27 all playing and we beat the form team of Super League. 

Leeds have Internationals Richie Myler, Luke Gale, Zane Tetevano and King Vuniyayawa as well as young stars Jack Walker, Harry Newman and Cameron Smith all still to return. Leeds have more depth of quality players than any other side in Super League. 

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Wire did more than enough to win the game , but poor execution of the last pass and good scrambling defence from Leeds got them the points 

It has already been touched on in the thread, but the commentary and analysis of this game was appalling and so simplistic as it didn't really tell the story of the game at all.

The level of analysis was that Leeds were fantastic and Wire were horrendous. That is a dumb level of analysis and doesn't help anyone understand what has happened. 

Phil Clarke clearly doesnt like Leeds and was grumpy, but his analysis was closer to the reality of what happened, and Richard Agar also called it correctly when saying that Leeds lost their way in the 2nd half. The performance in general was quite dominant from Wire in terms of pressure, breaks and half chances, but as you say a combination of errors, poor final pass execution and the defensive efforts from Leeds when it mattered got them over the line. 

As people have highlighted here, Leeds are no mugs, and the game finished 3 tries apiece. I am interested in seeing the stats, but this is another area where we are treated like simpletons in RL - Sky show stats at half time, but not fulltime, and the SL website literally does not mention the game last night - it has been missed from the fixtures and results section. 

Whilst I was frustrated with some of Wire's errors, I can live with it as some of the play was rather exciting, but the game for me was a compelling battle, with momentum shifts, great play (followed by errors usually!) and some big defence - instead the Sky team had in their head that Wire are higher in the league so hot favourites and a loss for them equals Wire=bad, Leeds=great. 

It really is disappointing that you can't get any decent level of discussion by the pundits on games - RL is a far more complex and interesting game than they make out.

Well done Leeds, they were good for their win, but I thought it was a good game of RL .

Here are my observations from last night's game which thoroughly enjoyed.

The Leeds forward pack were great, in particular their starting front row of Olędzki and Prior and Holroyd off the bench.  Their big men won the battle of metres in the middle against Hill, Cooper and Philbin.

The momentum shifted in the second half as Warrington deliberately sped up the ruck with Clark making scoots and the outside backs and Austin running the ball more.  As soon as the Warrington team started winning those fast play the balls the space opened for their shift plays.

While Warrington made a fair number of breaks and the last pass let them down a couple of times I thought, more worryingly, they lacked creativity in the Leeds 20 and the combination of Ratchford and Austin in the halves lacked the guild to open up the Leeds goal line defense.  The same can be said of Leeds of course with several of the Leeds sets resulting in a turnover rather than an attacking kick.  I think it is evident from the execution from both sides that they were lacking their first choice 7.  It made for an entertaining game but one that lacked precise execution.

Warrington lacked some execution on their final pass and Leeds were having to scramble at times but execution and scrambling defense are part of the game and so Leeds deserved the win.

13 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Down to 11 because they were cheating 

You arent getting many bites are you ? But ok you can add me ,but that's all 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Here are my observations from last night's game which thoroughly enjoyed.

The Leeds forward pack were great, in particular their starting front row of Olędzki and Prior and Holroyd off the bench.  Their big men won the battle of metres in the middle against Hill, Cooper and Philbin.

The momentum shifted in the second half as Warrington deliberately sped up the ruck with Clark making scoots and the outside backs and Austin running the ball more.  As soon as the Warrington team started winning those fast play the balls the space opened for their shift plays.

While Warrington made a fair number of breaks and the last pass let them down a couple of times I thought, more worryingly, they lacked creativity in the Leeds 20 and the combination of Ratchford and Austin in the halves lacked the guild to open up the Leeds goal line defense.  The same can be said of Leeds of course with several of the Leeds sets resulting in a turnover rather than an attacking kick.  I think it is evident from the execution from both sides that they were lacking their first choice 7.  It made for an entertaining game but one that lacked precise execution.

Warrington lacked some execution on their final pass and Leeds were having to scramble at times but execution and scrambling defense are part of the game and so Leeds deserved the win.

The SL site now has some of the stats, but has Bodene Thompson missing, so they are distorted, but Leeds certainly made more metres over the whole game.  Interestingly Mike Cooper was the front rower who made most metres in the game, and Hill made only c10m less than the 2 Leeds props over the game. Where there is a real weakness for Wire is the use of some of the other forwards including those from the bench. Philbin made 25m, Davis 42 and Butler 27. Akuola did ok with his 77m, but we really need more from the likes of Philbin - he did 31 tackles - but his strength in his game is his strong running and we didn't use it at all - rather like when we used to waste BMM.

Agree with much of your assessment, although I think the creativity was less of an issue when you consider we made 10 breaks to 2 (unless Boden T made a load as his stats are missing). I don't think we spent large amounts of time camped on the Leeds line unable to score, as we had often made an error as we broke into their half (19 errors).  

Like I say, I thought it was a good game, and as a Wire fan I was disappointed with some of our play, but that is me looking critically at my team as a fan - I'm not sure why the pundits took such a negative angle - instead of looking at some of the detail of the battle.

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leigh have given away 92 penalties so far this season, more than any other club. Leeds are at 66.

Thats because they had 7 hookers and 6 wingers in the squad though....

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The SL site now has some of the stats, but has Bodene Thompson missing, so they are distorted, but Leeds certainly made more metres over the whole game.  Interestingly Mike Cooper was the front rower who made most metres in the game, and Hill made only c10m less than the 2 Leeds props over the game. Where there is a real weakness for Wire is the use of some of the other forwards including those from the bench. Philbin made 25m, Davis 42 and Butler 27. Akuola did ok with his 77m, but we really need more from the likes of Philbin - he did 31 tackles - but his strength in his game is his strong running and we didn't use it at all - rather like when we used to waste BMM.

Agree with much of your assessment, although I think the creativity was less of an issue when you consider we made 10 breaks to 2 (unless Boden T made a load as his stats are missing). I don't think we spent large amounts of time camped on the Leeds line unable to score, as we had often made an error as we broke into their half (19 errors).  

Like I say, I thought it was a good game, and as a Wire fan I was disappointed with some of our play, but that is me looking critically at my team as a fan - I'm not sure why the pundits took such a negative angle - instead of looking at some of the detail of the battle.

Problem with the stats it doesn't give the complete picture, e.g. Oledzki didn't play much in the 2nd half due to an injury but when he played he broke the tackle often and when he tackled he stopped the opposition player making many yards. Hill certainly made yards but some of it was coming from deep behind the play the ball but when tackled he was stopped in his tracks more often than not...

Plus Warrington sprang into life and making many yards but then it was really too late...

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

It has already been touched on in the thread, but the commentary and analysis of this game was appalling and so simplistic as it didn't really tell the story of the game at all.

The level of analysis was that Leeds were fantastic and Wire were horrendous. That is a dumb level of analysis and doesn't help anyone understand what has happened. 

Phil Clarke clearly doesnt like Leeds and was grumpy, but his analysis was closer to the reality of what happened, and Richard Agar also called it correctly when saying that Leeds lost their way in the 2nd half. The performance in general was quite dominant from Wire in terms of pressure, breaks and half chances, but as you say a combination of errors, poor final pass execution and the defensive efforts from Leeds when it mattered got them over the line. 

As people have highlighted here, Leeds are no mugs, and the game finished 3 tries apiece. I am interested in seeing the stats, but this is another area where we are treated like simpletons in RL - Sky show stats at half time, but not fulltime, and the SL website literally does not mention the game last night - it has been missed from the fixtures and results section. 

Whilst I was frustrated with some of Wire's errors, I can live with it as some of the play was rather exciting, but the game for me was a compelling battle, with momentum shifts, great play (followed by errors usually!) and some big defence - instead the Sky team had in their head that Wire are higher in the league so hot favourites and a loss for them equals Wire=bad, Leeds=great. 

It really is disappointing that you can't get any decent level of discussion by the pundits on games - RL is a far more complex and interesting game than they make out.

Well done Leeds, they were good for their win, but I thought it was a good game of RL .

Sums up my thoughts perfectly 

Just now, redjonn said:

Problem with the stats it doesn't give the complete picture, e.g. Oledzki didn't play much in the 2nd half due to an injury but when he played he broke the tackle often and when he tackled he stopped the opposition player making many yards. Hill certainly made yards but some of it was coming from deep behind the play the ball but when tackled he was stopped in his tracks more often than not...

Of course, and the only stat that is ultimately important is the scoreboard. A slight issue I have with the Wire pack versus the likes of Oledzki is the lack of dynamism. Hill and Cooper do a lot of hard yards, but a lot of it is trundling forwards, which is of course valuable, but it's where you also then need the likes of Philbin and Akuola livening things up. I think our pack plays within itself too much, but Price obviously puts value in the likes of Hill, Cooper, Hughes, J Clark etc. often at the expense of Philbin, BMM, Akuola etc. 

Anyway, Leeds play again, for the fourth time in twelve days (fifth in 14 for the rep players) on Friday night against the league leaders in the latest bout of scheduling insanity.

If Catalans' game hadn't been cancelled yesterday it would be a reasonable match-up I suppose but regrettably I think it's almost inconceivable Leeds can win that game and I'd be tempted just to rest as many as possible.

56 minutes ago, M j M said:

Anyway, Leeds play again, for the fourth time in twelve days (fifth in 14 for the rep players) on Friday night against the league leaders in the latest bout of scheduling insanity.

If Catalans' game hadn't been cancelled yesterday it would be a reasonable match-up I suppose but regrettably I think it's almost inconceivable Leeds can win that game and I'd be tempted just to rest as many as possible.

As it happens, the suspensions/covid situation we've had might actually help us here, if we can get Gale, Tetevano and Smith back for example it will be a bit of a boost and may let us rest Oledski and Prior unfortunately I don't think our two hookers will get a rest and they must be gassed!

I don't actually think Leeds were that good.

Warrington should have destroyed them.  They spent most of the second half tearing them to bits then making a ridiculous error.  Leeds hanging in is one way of looking at it, but Wire were just appalling in terms of patience and execution and should have won comfortably.

12 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I don't actually think Leeds were that good.

Warrington should have destroyed them.  They spent most of the second half tearing them to bits then making a ridiculous error.  Leeds hanging in is one way of looking at it, but Wire were just appalling in terms of patience and execution and should have won comfortably.

I think that's unfair on Leeds, who were comfortably the better side in the first half and our dominance meant that Wire were chasing the game all whilst having had to make more effort in defence in the first half, which would have meant already tired players making errors due to fatigue.

I don't get the 'should have destroyed them' comment? should have why?

Archived