Danny Ward leaves London

9 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

I don't think the result on Saturday was the breaking point but it cant have helped.

I am convinced he has told Hughes and Milner and Loubser we need reinforcements or else we have no chance, and they have just ignored him, more intent on this  f&*%ing stupid move to Wimbledon.

As each passing day goes by I am becoming less interested in this club and this Wardy situation merely reinforces matters.

Does buying reinforcements sell more tracksuits?

No, it does not.

Thus it is not a priority at this time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yeah I think I've realised it is kind of. I deliberately managed decline

Pretty sure Skolars will be the only semi pro side in the south this time next year

I wonder how the northern based clubs will supplement their academies once ours goes down the pan and with it, the vast opportunities presented by the greater London region; this at a time when the talent pool is reducing on the M62.

Just now, gingerjon said:

No, it does not.

They couldn't even be bothered to send out the free jerseys and tickets in lieu of letting them keep last year's season ticket money (I had three and never saw a game) - then £240 x 2 this season for this comedy organisation.

44 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

The efficiency in winding down the coaching and playing staff numbers to zero, as well as the supporters, is faintly impressive.

My final hope is that this is some kind of Brewster's Millions thing where Hughes has to spend £30m by midnight on the last day of the season and have zero assets and liabilities to show for it. The club then gets £300m to spend in 2022.

Just now, Magic XIII said:

I wonder how the northern based clubs will supplement their academies once ours goes down the pan and with it, the vast opportunities presented by the greater London region; this at a time when the talent pool is reducing on the M62.

Just now, Archie Gordon said:

My final hope is that this is some kind of Brewster's Millions thing where Hughes has to spend £30m by midnight on the last day of the season and have zero assets and liabilities to show for it. The club then gets £300m to spend in 2022.

To be fair to him - if £20m plus had achieved a crowd of 300 and a ton of apathy from ex fans, I am not sure I would bother with it in my golden years.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

To be fair to him - if £20m plus had achieved a crowd of 300 and a ton of apathy from ex fans, I am not sure I would bother with it in my golden years.

On the flip side, that £20m could have been say £12-15m had he made better decisions. 

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No, it does not.

I find it amazing that Hughes has not given Loubser and Milner the boot as they are clearly inept / incompetent, and have been stealing a wage.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

On the flip side, that £20m could have been say £12-15m had he made better decisions. 

I am sure he is not without blame - but even the SL season I doubt the locals amounted to more than 800 of the fans for games.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

On the flip side, that £20m could have been say £12-15m had he made better 

I am sure he is not without blame - but even the SL season I doubt the locals amounted to more than 800 of the fans for games.

Yeah, but he did start over a decade ago with about 3000.

51 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we saw Richard Agar become football manager at Leeds with Danny Ward new first team manager.

That would be a VERY good move. It does look very much like the end of the line for us, I'm afraid. When I think of the hard work that was put in to keep the club alive after Ernie Clay walked away back in the eighties it does make me, shall we say, a tad annoyed!

3 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Yeah, but he did start over a decade ago with about 3000.

Yup. It’s a special kind of brilliance to lose 90% of your fans *especially* fans who are, to a ridiculous degree, committed to the club and the game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Got to say I am not surprised. I did think after seeing a result that was worse than expected on Saturday that Danny Ward was doing his own career no favours staying on a sinking ship.

I find it interesting that Matt Shaw in his tweet was of the opinion that Danny was off anyway at the end of the season. That's not a vote of confidence in the ownership of the club.

Morale must be rock bottom at the club and it will be equally interesting to see if they win another game after this and how many of whatever remains of the fan base turns up to the remaining games.

I suspect Hughes is contracturally obliged to pay AFC Wimbledon £ 200,000 regardless of the move that killed the club and I would also suspect that London Broncos really are about to be wound up at the close of this season.

I am reconciled to the self-inflicted end of professional Rugby League south of Wakefield

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we saw Richard Agar become football manager at Leeds with Danny Ward new first team manager.

I think Bielsa is doing a good job 

At least now London, Oxford, Hemel, All Golds, Toronto, Ottawa and NY are dead or cancelled, we can concentrate on Batley and Wakefield and really grow the game with the additional resources.

Should be a win win.

37 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Without having any inside information in terms of the relationship we have with Ealing right now, it was a huge mistake, plus putting up prices by over 200% and not having proper deals for kids / families as well just was nail on the head.

I would be surprised if they sold 50 Full Season tickets this year, in 2019 they probably had over 400 ST holders at least. This was how badly it was botched. The quality of the Squad is the worst its ever been for over 30 years.

What I will say is all the money in Sport (outside of football, which is global in reach) is in London, all the main media, and TV / streaming deals are based down here.  Let me put this another way, the world cup is in doubt right now. If this was the Union World cup having the same discussions it would be all over the sports pages and wall to wall on Sky Sports News, but nothing in the papers or sport channels about the fact it could be cancelled again. I've lived in the South for 20 years now, and most people around me have no idea a World cup is even happening this year, let alone it might not happen

Thats the sad fact about the RLWC crashmon I would say that 99.999999999% here have no idea its on.

In terms of where the money is I would totally agree (Although foreign fintech companies now are 70% of my wifes sporting clients) Things are also changing fast the days of betting power tools beer and pies are coming to an end football is already seeing major changes to their sponsorship portfolios.

Back to London Broncos no-one has any idea of what is going on.

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

Thats the sad fact about the RLWC crashmon I would say that 99.999999999% here have no idea its on.

In terms of where the money is I would totally agree (Although foreign fintech companies now are 70% of my wifes sporting clients) Things are also changing fast the days of betting power tools beer and pies are coming to an end football is already seeing major changes to their sponsorship portfolios.

Back to London Broncos no-one has any idea of what is going on.

Other than the semi finals it is not really relevant though - other than a few of us, nobody is travelling up north to watch a game. The games would sell well in the areas they are held.

Other than the semi finals it is not really relevant though - other than a few of us, nobody is travelling up north to watch a game. The games would sell well in the areas they are held.

I remember one GB v Australia 3rd test matches in Leeds when the entire train (Over 500 persons) was made up of London based RL fans travelling up to Leeds for the day.

Paul

4 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I remember one GB v Australia 3rd test matches in Leeds when the entire train (Over 500 persons) was made up of London based RL fans travelling up to Leeds for the day.

Paul

This Millennium? 🙂  

17 minutes ago, Leonard said:

IN 2013 I actually took three weeks holiday for the world cup. I attended

• England / Aus and Italy / Wales at Millennium Stadium (who can forget the announcer singing Deliah as soon as Stevo tried to speak to the camera)
  • England / Ireland at Huddersfield
  • US vs Cook Islands at Bristol (Game of the Tournment IMHO)
  • Wales vs US at Wrexham
  • Wales vs Cook Islands at Neath
  • Tonga vs Cook Islands at Leigh
  • Aus vs US at Wrexham
  • Both Wembley Semi Finals
  • Final at Old Trafford

In 2021, assuming its on, I will go to one match and that is the Semi in London.... And I'm probably not the only one who is not really bothered with the World Cup this year....    But this is a Thread about London, not about Rugby League in General, so will not detrail the thread any more

47 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

What is London Broncos actually worth? Now, I don’t mean, what would Hughes like to recoup but actually what are they worth?

Asset wise?

The name, IP on the branding and whatever training kit they own.

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Hughes pulling out

Inevitable BB, he has been far more than generous for a long time now, he has kept investing when those apart from a very few diehards "darn sarf" couldn't give a flying one if a RL club didn't exist in their locality, perhaps had there been some interest in the club by the locals they could be thriving now, if Mr Hughes does throw the towel in what then?

Archived