No, not the question of Murray retiring, or the new generation of British tennis players, or how Djokovic is a machine.

None of those, just our favourite commentator trending on Twitter for all the best reasons.

image.png.0e9759cc6994e7967e30c399258a50cc.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Anyone complaining about Barrie'n'Terry on Sky's SL coverage, count your blessings.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Was a shame about Raducanu having to retire. It was a good game to watch. I hope she's ok and that there's nothing to worry about going forwards.

I've loved Wimbledon since the late 80's, but since they added the roofs I think it went up another level, as you always get some play.

Shame for Raducanu. She's been built up beyond all reason. Heroine worship.  What's not to like for the Wimbledon groupies?  She's young, good looking, speaks well and is a really promising talent. The pressure on her, the expectation, must have been immense.  

I think Wimbledon let Raducanu down badly , firstly with the womens QF being on tuesday , they always schedule the womens last 16 matches on manic Monday first , to avoid the the scenario we had last night , where we have a womens match still ongoing after 9pm , with the winner having to come back the next day .They should have put her on an outside court with an 11am start like they did with Laura Robson when she made the last 16 .

• Like 1

On 05/07/2021 at 22:12, tim2 said:

No, not the question of Murray retiring, or the new generation of British tennis players, or how Djokovic is a machine.

None of those, just our favourite commentator trending on Twitter for all the best reasons.

image.png.0e9759cc6994e7967e30c399258a50cc.png

And now someone (and it wasn't me!) has started a change.org petition to stop him commentating on any more Tennis matches. :kolobok_biggrin:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-stop-john-inverdale-as-tennis-commentaor?recruiter=100736800&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=f0b2dbea6df8427c9951309e63cb85bf&recruited_by_id=303372f7-9cc7-4549-83a3-723d1e5122ef

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 06/07/2021 at 08:08, JohnM said:

Shame for Raducanu. She's been built up beyond all reason. Heroine worship.  What's not to like for the Wimbledon groupies?  She's young, good looking, speaks well and is a really promising talent. The pressure on her, the expectation, must have been immense.  

born in Canada to parents high in finance - put in to a tennis academy  aged five down in that London while our kids were playing marbles in the potholes in the playgrounds of the north - says nothing to me about my life 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

born in Canada to parents high in finance - put in to a tennis academy  aged five down in that London while our kids were playing marbles in the potholes in the playgrounds of the north - says nothing to me about my life 

0030411300000258-3230117-image-a-106_144

• Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I always thought tennis was a bit ###### because you seem to spend more time fetching the balls back than actually playing. 

Didn't realise the Assclown was into it, but it seems apt that he is.

Apologies Futtocks, I know you like a bit repetitive tennis grunting and groaning and what have you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

You forgot to add that she's a Grammar School girl, too. 😀

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

What annoys me is the way everyone was fawning about her giving up because she was losing.

Where we are the establishment have zero tolerance and sympathy if anyone can't carry on in an exam for an example. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

What annoys me is the way everyone was fawning about her giving up because she was losing.

Ok, Piers.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Ok, Piers.

I don't read what he thinks.

However I've seen 18 year old girls cope with adversity and disability with amazing courage. 

Young people have had to cope with Covid and losing family. I just feel the sympathy is way over the top in comparison. 

When it began the health workers, nurses were seen as the real heroes. Now it seems to be the tennis players and footballers again. 

You usually have some good views, so maybe I am being over harsh. 

Edited by Niels

4 hours ago, Niels said:

I don't read what he thinks.

However I've seen 18 year old girls cope with adversity and disability with amazing courage. 

Young people have had to cope with Covid and losing family. I just feel the sympathy is way over the top in comparison. 

When it began the health workers, nurses were seen as the real heroes. Now it seems to be the tennis players and footballers again. 

You usually have some good views, so maybe I am being over harsh. 

No "maybe" about it. In any case, there's room for compassion for more than one sector at one time- except of course for the national media. 

Looks like Federer and Murray both have big decisions to make. Mind you, I thought Federer had had it about 5 years ago. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

No "maybe" about it. In any case, there's room for compassion for more than one sector at one time- except of course for the national media. 

I still think there are 18 year olds who work on hospital wards who havent the option to give up though. 

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

I still think there are 18 year olds who work on hospital wards who havent the option to give up though. 

I'm really not sure how that is relevant to anything.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

Should we not feel sympathy towards a young girl suffering breathing difficulties? 

Apparently not. At least according to various media figures who make a living going on and on about how much they hate women and/or foreigners.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...
On 08/07/2021 at 10:15, JohnM said:

Should we not feel sympathy towards a young girl suffering breathing difficulties? 

No sympathy required today, as Emma Raducanu became the first player ever to reach the semi-finals of the US Open after coming through the qualifier rounds. Straight sets in every match, too, including her latest victim Belinda Bencic (11th seed).

I'm sure Piers "Morgan" Moron will be doing a 180 degree switch and jumping on her bandwagon some time about... now.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

An exceptional performance from her today. In my view, performances like this can have a positive influence on getting youngsters to take up the sport. Equally, there is now a danger that once the honeymoon period is over, the negative comments will start.