I've just been reminded that GB's Joe Salisbury has won the men's and mixed doubles titles at the US Open this year, so this has already been a good tournament for the Brits.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Raducanu wasn't even in the main draw for the tournament, so has played an extra week of qualifiers. Now she's close to winning a Grand Slam title without dropping a set... and demoting Kris Radlinski to #2 in my (admittedly short) list of favourite Radders.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Also, GB's Gordon Reid and Alfie Hewett have won the wheelchair title.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blood, sweat and tears of joy. She's just become one of the hottest properties in sport. Oh, and she passed her A Levels too, apparently.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Blood, sweat and tears of joy. She's just become one of the hottest properties in sport. Oh, and she passed her A Levels too, apparently.

Genuinely unbelievable - from relatively nowhere to right up there as one of the most famous sports personalities on Earth!

I think that cheque also gives her the highest earnings of any British female sports star. Nice to see Virginia Wade in the crowd, and Emma's got some sort of inspirational rapport with Tim Henman going on too. Linking with generations of former players.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I think that cheque also gives her the highest earnings of any British female sports star. Nice to see Virginia Wade in the crowd, and Emma's got some sort of inspirational rapport with Tim Henman going on too. Linking with generations of former players.

Never seen him look so nervous as in that last game she had.

3 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

That must go down as the best result for a British sports competitor. 18 years old,came through qualifiers,won the title. Absolutely amazing.

One of the best results for anyone. Her second event, plays ten rounds and doesn’t lose a set to win the whole thing. It’s unprecedented. Can’t ever recall a career go from zero to 100 in a matter of weeks. She has won a slam and has yet to feature in the main draw. It was also the manner in which she won it. It was unflappable  dominance throughout. Way before my time but Pele winning the World Cup as a 17 year old and scoring twice in the final is another quick-fire humongous success that springs to mind. Olga Korbut as a 17 year old winning the floor event at the Olympics and redefining gymnastics is possibly another (tho gymnastics is a very young people’s event, so not really that out of the ordinary for her age).

1 hour ago, clogdance said:

What an incredible achievement, well done Emma !  

Her display is the result of being in a sport that has given women a fair chance...

1 minute ago, Mark S said:

Phenomenal achievement.

I hope she has a good support network though. She will be a media darling until they turn on her, Meghan Markle style.

They're already done the turning on her to an extent - with Piers Morgan leading the charge calling her a choker. (He obviously has found a way of making this result all about him and how he was right.)

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, DC77 said:

Never seen him look so nervous as in that last game she had.

One of the best results for anyone. Her second event, plays ten rounds and doesn’t lose a set to win the whole thing. It’s unprecedented. Can’t ever recall a career go from zero to 100 in a matter of weeks. She has won a slam and has yet to feature in the main draw. It was also the manner in which she won it. It was unflappable  dominance throughout. Way before my time but Pele winning the World Cup as a 17 year old and scoring twice in the final is another quick-fire humongous success that springs to mind. Olga Korbut as a 17 year old winning the floor event at the Olympics and redefining gymnastics is possibly another (tho gymnastics is a very young people’s event, so not really that out of the ordinary for her age).

Her display is the result of being in a sport that has given women a fair chance...

... and invested seriously in youth development.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

What a remarkable achievement. In my view, she's going to need protection from the sort of stress she'll never have had from just playing. Sure, Morgan is a #### ####### ##### but this thread is not the place to exploit Raducanu just to have a go at Morgan.

What Morgan actually posted was.“From Wimbledon choker to US Open champion in 3 months…. never seen a more brilliant illustration of mental strength & resilience than @EmmaRaducanu’s win. That’s what elite sport is all about – facing up to loss/adversity & going again with no whining & steely determination.”

She has faced up to loss/adversity.

She has gone again with no whining.

She has steely determination.

She clearly is no choker, though.

46 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What Morgan actually posted was ...

"I've been totally vindicated. She took my advice and won."

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"I've been totally vindicated. She took my advice and won."

Navratilova on the Andrew Marr show , " we've seen criticism of her previously , I'd just say to them STFU , you don't know what your taking about " 😉

• Like 2

Plus she's been charming a very big potential audience with this.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

And, in case you didn't like her enough already...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ralph Waldo Emerson