Just now, The Future is League said:

For all you people out there with twitter accounts get on there and give the a#####e Morgan plenty of stick

If you @ him or # him on Twitter, that's exactly what he wants. He wants those attention stats even more than he hates women.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

I wonder if she'd arrived at Dover on a rubber boat the press would be shouting she's British.

The current message from a large number of identical Far Right social media accounts is that the Left are racist for making the point that the Far Right usually hate "foreigners" like Emma.

Many other suspiciously similar social media accounts are vehemently shouting that she isn't British because she has a foreign surname.

I'll admit, her surname is as foreign-sounding as "Farage", but I won't come to the same conclusion as either set of bots.

If she lived in England from the age of 2, she learned to play Tennis in England. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either the kind of pushy parent who probably needs certifying, or someone who hates foreigners. Probably 99.99999999% the latter.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The current message from a large number of identical Far Right social media accounts is that the Left are racist for making the point that the Far Right usually hate "foreigners" like Emma.

Many other suspiciously similar social media accounts are vehemently shouting that she isn't British because she has a foreign surname.

I'll admit, her surname is as foreign-sounding as "Farage", but I won't come to the same conclusion as either set of bots.

If she lived in England from the age of 2, she learned to play Tennis in England. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either the kind of pushy parent who probably needs certifying, or someone who hates foreigners. Probably 99.99999999% the latter.

That's not answering what I asked, as for Farage I can't stand the man, lots of hot air with no backbone

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

"I've been totally vindicated. She took my advice and won."

Ha -bloody-ha.  In my view he's an appalling person and why he merits any media exposure is beyond me.  But if you want to have a go at him,  at least base your opprobrium on facts. Try it.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

"Radu" is a popular Romanian name prefix. It is Slavic and means Happy. 

No-Vax Djokovic beaten in straight sets in the men's final. Maybe he was short of breath.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

Ha -bloody-ha.  In my view he's an appalling person and why he merits any media exposure is beyond me.  But if you want to have a go at him,  at least base your opprobrium on facts. Try it.

He did literally write that, John. I'm not sure how much more factual you want things to be.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

This is ludicrous, tell a lie it's actually pathetic. 

A young girl has been turned into a political football by all sides. The fact that she has overseas parentage has been used to pretend that Britain has never welcomed immigrants. Since when? Immigrants are not new but you'd think her parents were the first. 

Nobody with half a brain gives a toss about her heritage, except dickheads of all persuasions. 

Funny isn't it John , we get away with the plural , bit a single sweet and lovely person isn't allowed ? 😉

What Moron wrote for all too see was "...never seen a more brilliant illustration of mental strength & resilience than @EmmaRaducanu’s win. That’s what elite sport is all about – facing up to loss/adversity & going again ....

As a fair and open-minded seeker of truth,  I'm sure that you won't let your visceral hatred of Moron and what he stands for get in the way of endorsing those words.

Back on topic, I fear that the media feeding frenzy, including allegations that China is laying claim to her, will end in tears. Any money, as soon as she has a dip in form, they'll be on her back, sadly. They need to lay off and giver her some space.

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What Moron wrote for all too see was "...never seen a more brilliant illustration of mental strength & resilience than @EmmaRaducanu’s win. That’s what elite sport is all about – facing up to loss/adversity & going again ....

As a fair and open-minded seeker of truth,  I'm sure that you won't let your visceral hatred of Moron and what he stands for get in the way of endorsing those words.

Back on topic, I fear that the media feeding frenzy, including allegations that China is laying claim to her, will end in tears. Any money, as soon as she has a dip in form, they'll be on her back, sadly. They need to lay off and giver her some space.

I suppose it was too much to expect that you might at least acknowledge that I was actually quoting him.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm sure everyone on here would want to condemn John McEnroe when he wrote,"it appears it just got a little bit too much, as is understandable, particularly with what we've been talking about this over the last six weeks with Osaka not even here. How much can players handle." 

What a performance from Raducanu , coming all the way through qualifying to win the trophy , Fernandez played very well and was a very difficult opponent , but ER just edged it . Just looking at her , she seems to have the perfect all round game , she has a great forehand ,exceptional backhand , particularly her backhand DTL , great return of serve , exceptional movement , a good drive volley and the ability under pressure , and for me , there's still room for improvement , I just hope the media allow her to lose a few match's early on in tournaments and not get on her back , lets face it , Wimbledon , next year , is going to be absolutely mad .

On to the men's final , I was a bit torn between Djokovic creating a little bit of history and Medvedev winning his first slam , but there's no doubt the Russian ran out deserved winner , lets face it , he's been knocking on the door for a couple of years now .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

On to the men's final , I was a bit torn between Djokovic creating a little bit of history and Medvedev winning his first slam , but there's no doubt the Russian ran out deserved winner , lets face it , he's been knocking on the door for a couple of years now .

There have been three hugely dominant players in the game for a long time now. But the next generation seems to be losing the awe that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were once held in. In the women's game, you often felt Serena Williams had the match won as soon as she walked onto the court, such was the dominant presence she had in the sport.

Exciting new blood in the men's and women's game is great news.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

There have been three hugely dominant players in the game for a long time now. But the next generation seems to be losing the awe that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were once held in. In the women's game, you often felt Serena Williams had the match won as soon as she walked onto the court, such was the dominant presence she had in the sport.

I think we can safely say that Federer's grand slam winning days are over , Nadal has dropped down the pecking order as far as hard courts are concerned , his best bet is still clay , but he's no where near as dominant and will have 2 or 3 players as serious challengers , as for Djokovic , he'll contend on all surfaces , but Wimbledon will be his best bet .

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The length of time that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have been dominant for is extraordinary. Not sure we'll ever see a period like that again.

On 14/09/2021 at 19:18, gingerjon said:

The length of time that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have been dominant for is extraordinary. Not sure we'll ever see a period like that again.

Indeed , Andy Murray would have had 6/7 GS wins at least in any normal time 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I didn’t read the article but a headline at the BBC says “Are we saying goodbye to the goats at Wimbledon?” I thought the grass was mown. I suppose they both fertilise and mow.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion.