Sun 11 Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Out of curiosity anyone know how many were at York last week. 

I was at York last week supporting Thunder. 2 stands open but both nowhere near full. I'd have guessed at around 1,200-1,500.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Are York having money troubles? This sort of slump can sometimes be associated with a bit of uncertainty in the playing group.

If not, the turn in fortunes is quite baffling.

Bradford had this issue a few years ago, coach decided needed experience, several older ex-SL players later, didn’t bring the performances expected and the younger guys who had got Bradford to a good position in the first place, had left

1 hour ago, kiggy said:

I reckon they will be playing twice in the playoffs, whoever loses the 1st game has an extra game, but they will meet again in the final...hopefully

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Is that the format? I thought it were 3rd v 6th and 4th v 5th then top plays the lowest rank and 2nd the remainding team? I struggled to find much confirming online though.

Pretty sure Oxy's correct, no second chance just a week off. Now where the final will be held....?

36 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I will be curious how much was Ford's decision this time and horrible  injuries.

Would give Ford next year but if York arent top 4 then wish him the Best. 

They'll be top 4 in League 1 if they carry on the way they are!!

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

As predicted.  York need a hard reset at end of season.  Expect batley to win thursday but if Dewsbury can nick it, puts them,  Widnes and a flying Newcastle in the playoff race.  

Winner of fax and Bulls in two weeks we can pencil in for the playoffs. 

Sadly can't see Rams beating Batley as we can barely raise 17 players. But despite being desperately poor, Newcastle only won by 12 today.

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I will be curious how much was Ford's decision this time and horrible  injuries.

Would give Ford next year but if York arent top 4 then wish him the Best. 

Other teams have injury problems , for instance Fev who have had more blokes out than us.

London today 34 points in front and still putting in ferocious tackles all over the pitch , we looked clueless.

7 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Sadly can't see Rams beating Batley as we can barely raise 17 players. But despite being desperately poor, Newcastle only won by 12 today.

A win is a win, we did also miss 4 conversions so thats another 8 possible points we didnt get, though as i say a win is a win.

I must admit I didnt expect Newcastle to be anywhere near the playoffs this year but they are stringing a lot of good results together now as a few of their rivals faulter. It just shows how quickly things can turn around in this league as when Fax were 34-0 down against Toulouse after 30 minutes if someone told me we had only conceded something like 10 tries in our last 9 games I would have laughed. 

Batley simply can't afford to lose midweek and then the following week theres some huge games with Batley V Newcastle and the Bulls V Fev and Widnes hoping to keep their chances alive away to the Broncos. At the other end Haven would in my opinion just about seal Oldham's fate with victory against them.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I must admit I didnt expect Newcastle to be anywhere near the playoffs this year but they are stringing a lot of good results together now as a few of their rivals faulter. It just shows how quickly things can turn around in this league as when Fax were 34-0 down against Toulouse after 30 minutes if someone told me we had only conceded something like 10 tries in our last 9 games I would have laughed. 

Batley simply can't afford to lose midweek and then the following week theres some huge games with Batley V Newcastle and the Bulls V Fev and Widnes hoping to keep their chances alive away to the Broncos. At the other end Haven would in my opinion just about seal Oldham's fate with victory against them.

Interesting thing is the four teams above them who they are chasing have to play FEV again and they don't so that may give them a helping hand but widnes just below them don't either so it's all swings and roundabouts bottom line they  still to have to play them all batley and fax away bulls and broncos at home so in reality  it's all down to them

one last thing TBO bulls v FEV is not a huge game😁

1 hour ago, POR said:

Interesting thing is the four teams above them who they are chasing have to play FEV again and they don't so that may give them a helping hand but widnes just below them don't either so it's all swings and roundabouts bottom line they  still to have to play them all batley and fax away bulls and broncos at home so in reality  it's all down to them

one last thing TBO bulls v FEV is not a huge game😁

Fev traditionally over the years have not done very well the week after big cup games. 😉 Luckily though for Fev this one should be like a training session for them. 🤣 For the neutral because of both teams form this probably holds about the same interest as watching Warrington V Wigan for the 10th time in a season. 🤣

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

As a Bulls fan, bar the Challenge cup the games versus York have felt like the biggest games of the season for the last few years. 

Looking forward to it , come August 29th there will be no restrictions on ground capacity the stadium still has to have 2 events of 2000 fans to comply with final safety certificate , this should be done and dusted as footy team have friendly's with Newcastle and Sunderland  .....so will be our biggest attendance of the season.

Archived