Rugby League Heroes: Gary Connolly

A pleasure and a privilege to watch him play.

A good read that too.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

A good read and the first time I have heard the story of how he left Saints. Back then players really were treated like pieces of meat. It also shows how out of order all the abuse he got for years from Saints fans was too.

11 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

I read that he played a few games for Widnes but can't remember it for the life of me.

In 2005 he scored four tries and kicked a solitary goal during 21 appearances mate.

I think all four tries might have come in a game against Hull FC...

Bit of news from when he signed :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/widnes/3751488.stm

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

21 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

What a player Connolly was, I only wish that Saints hadn’t done what they did and good for Connolly to get his side of the story out.

Another excellent interview. 

In the end I still think Saints got the best part of the deal, the huge wad of cash they got from Wigan they used to buy Newlove.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

21 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

In the end I still think Saints got the best part of the deal, the huge wad of cash they got from Wigan they used to buy Newlove.

I think it’s fair to say it worked out for both clubs. 2 of the best centres of their generation, of any generation. Different types of centre but both top class.

22 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Newlove was certainly (cliche alert) the final piece in the jigsaw for Saints when you look at what they achieved in 1996, but, and I hope you don't me pointing this out, but it's a bit of a stretch to say they bought Newlove with the Connolly money as the two transfers were two years and three months apart. One was a terrible piece of business. The other sensational.  

50 minutes ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Glad the Connolly interview was enjoyed. The next two interviews are with Matthew Elliott and Olsen Filipaina. Then hopefully, in no particular order, Tim Sheens, Doug Laughton and George Fairbairn.

Doug Laughton, my absolute hero! Make sure you ask him about Goulding and Schofield. 😍

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

They must have kept that money aside for a few years then if that was the case, which of course it isn't.

Still even if it was the case it doesn't excuse the way that Saints treated Connolly, a home grown product and a Saints fan to boot, never mind the rubbish he has had to endure from Saints fans over the years.

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

didn't he have a few flirtations with the dark side too?

He played for Harlequins RU during the off-season one year. I was working with a Harlequins fan at the time and he said he'd never seen anyone tackle so hard.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

He played for Harlequins RU during the off-season one year. I was working with a Harlequins fan at the time and he said he'd never seen anyone tackle so hard.

lots of those tackles would have had to be sent to the video revue these days  to be nitpicked upon with instant sin bins and bans 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Glad the Connolly interview was enjoyed. The next two interviews are with Matthew Elliott and Olsen Filipaina. Then hopefully, in no particular order, Tim Sheens, Doug Laughton and George Fairbairn.

These interviews are great.  There are no sound bites or platitudes, just players sharing their experiences and giving really honest opinions.

I very rarely read sports interviews as they are so bland but these are completely different. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

In 2005 he scored four tries and kicked a solitary goal during 21 appearances mate.

I think all four tries might have come in a game against Hull FC...

Bit of news from when he signed :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/widnes/3751488.stm

It would seem my efforts to forget that season were more successful than I thought.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

1 minute ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

It would seem my efforts to forget that season were more successful than I thought.

I feel your pain pal.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

He played for Orrell and Munster too at the end of his career.

Archived