French Competitions 2021/22

On 14/08/2021 at 18:30, BJW said:

IIRC the original talk of SL had Paris, Barcelona and Milan from the start. PSG did make some mistakes but compared with those from the RFL then these were minimal. Can give many examples but will refrain as they may identify the sources. However, prime example is the management team RFL installed for second season after Jacques Fouroux as this is open info and shows the level of knowledge at RFL!

Milan? Seriously? 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Eddie said:

Milan? Seriously? 

May have been Rome but certainly Italian team. Was asked off the record if interested as wife fluent in Italian but never heard anything back. Though given some of the other proposals (Merging on the Ridiculous?) and what happened to those . . . . . 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

1 hour ago, BJW said:

May have been Rome but certainly Italian team. Was asked off the record if interested as wife fluent in Italian but never heard anything back. Though given some of the other proposals (Merging on the Ridiculous?) and what happened to those . . . . . 

They could get all the lads who do that fighting football thing in Florence to make up a team, purple kit and play at Fiorentina’s ground - straight into the Championship. Hope that’s ridiculous enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

See that Amine Miloudi has joined up with Elite 2 Ille-sur-Tet for the new season. He was with his older brother Hakim at Palau last season. They certainly get around! Hakim presently with Barrow and previously at Carcassonne, Hull FC, Toronto and Doncaster. Amine is a talented lad and should do well up the Tet river. Hope he sticks at it. With the Margelet brothers back home from champions  Lezignan too - on board will be one to look out for in a promising Elite 2 competition.

Hearing that Greg Bird will be assisting  at Elite 2 Baho for the time being too. With the likes of Bird and Maloney getting involved - a lift for the French game.

Amine-Miloudi-FC-Lézignan-2019.webp

Greg-Bird-Baho.webp

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

See the Federation now looking at promoting three Elite 2 sides next year to get to the 12 that they're after. That would leave second division to 10 clubs. But the hope is that two sides from the third tier would also move up to see a 12 side Elite 2. Fingers crossed.

Pia, Ille-sur-Tet and Baho from the Catalan region could well be in the mix.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

France v England 100% confirmed Perpignan October 23rd had a call from Luc yesterday.

Meeting today to confirm TV looks like BEIN SPORT in France with SKY SPORTS doing a delayed telecast (According to those on the ground in France) however I fully expect SKY SPORTS to broadcast the match LIVE.

So all moving forward down there, am back next week after 2 days watching some proper Cricket at Canterbury Monday/Tuesday:)

Paul

10 hours ago, audois said:

See that Amine Miloudi has joined up with Elite 2 Ille-sur-Tet for the new season. He was with his older brother Hakim at Palau last season. They certainly get around! Hakim presently with Barrow and previously at Carcassonne, Hull FC, Toronto and Doncaster. Amine is a talented lad and should do well up the Tet river. Hope he sticks at it. With the Margelet brothers back home from champions  Lezignan too - on board will be one to look out for in a promising Elite 2 competition.

Hearing that Greg Bird will be assisting  at Elite 

Amine-Miloudi-FC-Lézignan-2019.webpGreg-Bird-Baho.webp

Has anyone noticed Greg Birds tee shirt, (Johnny Cash) ^^^^^

• 2 weeks later...

Appears Gadwin Springer is returning to France and joining Villeneuve for the new season. The Aquitaine club though could be losing the services of Stan Robin who wants to re-locate to the Perpignan region.

On 03/09/2021 at 13:52, audois said:

See the Federation now looking at promoting three Elite 2 sides next year to get to the 12 that they're after. That would leave second division to 10 clubs. But the hope is that two sides from the third tier would also move up to see a 12 side Elite 2. Fingers crossed.

Pia, Ille-sur-Tet and Baho from the Catalan region could well be in the mix.

Any further news on this @audois, or anyone else? I have googled but as I only got a grade B GCSE French in the mid 90s and have forgotten half of that I haven’t had much luck. 

I think the three you mentioned are all very close to Perpignan? It would be nice to see one or two of the teams from a wider area considered, if they were ready, to give it a broader spread - one of the teams nearer Albi or Avignon? 

1 hour ago, audois said:

Appears Gadwin Springer is returning to France and joining Villeneuve for the new season. The Aquitaine club though could be losing the services of Stan Robin who wants to re-locate to the Perpignan region.

This is disappointing.  I thought he was a decent lad.   I think if he had stayed at Catalans he would be a regular now.  Hopefully he can find a way back to the pro game via VSL.

Pia, ille and especially Baho have squads that would hold their own in elite 1, it's the 20000 euros to just to play in the league that puts teams off, no prize money etc, Villefranche have a decent team with top quality foreigners, villeghailanc are the reserve of Carcassonne so will use their squad players so will be a good team, Lyon will struggle but they're building for the future, no real news from Toulon, 4 Brits have arrived for Montpellier sharks and a Georgian should be arriving soon. Gratentour is a new team at this level but hopefully will win a couple of games, salon have been quiet about recruitment. Carpentras always have a solid team, But I can't see anyone really challenging the three Catalan teams 

Alan - that would be putting the Catalan region back to where they were before with the Dragons. 4 teams in Elite 1 Back then it was  X111 Catalan , St Esteve, St Cyprien and Pia. I think the success of the Dragons is a major factor here.

First sign of Elite movement this afternoon at Pia. 4 teams take part Lezignan, Limoux, Dragons reservers and the Elite 2 side hosts Pia Baroudeurs. Play 20 minutes each way against each other way. If James Maloney and Jason Baitieri can't make it others like new comer Corentin Rey from SOA to St Esterve will be on show.

safe_image.jpg.f2a0380f29e8aaa1cf1dc9befacebf66.jpg

Ambert Challenge this year went to the Grizzlis of Limoux beating FCL (2-0) in a downpour watched by the new French coach Laurent Frayssinous. Baby Dracs fielded Roman Franco, Tiaki Chan and Florian Vailhen as well as twenty U19s. Despite the presence of Lacans and Stacul  Lezignan couldn't cross the line. Decided by Lilmoux's Australian full back Zak Santos boot. Now awaiting the Elite 1 opening 16th October.

Hearing Toulon and Lyon are struggling to get a team together for the coming season, my old club Villeneuve Minervois too, the federation is looking to mix the u19s national and elite league as there are only 15 teams left after the 2 years without playing, which will mean the Catalan u19s  playing against teams with players who are just learning the game, they did a play off system to get into the elite u19s league a few years  and the scores where massive against the weaker teams (most went onto cancel away games against the bigger clubs)  , we won a few games with 80 points, the elite clubs all have strong u19s teams except for st Gaudens, 

The new fixtures are out and in elite 1 it's a strange set up, especially if you're successful, to finish the season it's a week off, then  the playoffs first round, the week after its the semi final of the cup, the week after semi final play offs, the week after final of the cup, the week after its the final of the play offs! So the cup final is planned on the 22 nd may and the grand final the 29th may, 

So two finals in two weeks. 

I'm not sure if La Coste knew how bad of a state the game was in when he took over  but the new ideas they're bringing out  are not the best except for the world cup bid. 

I knew there was one team in Nantes (Nantes, who I think play in National 2) but according to this article on the FFR website there is at least one more, Vertou XIII. It’s good to see the game is being played outside of the SW. 

https://www.ffr13.fr/plus-de-100-kangourous-licencies-a-vertou-xiii-rugby-44/?fbclid=IwAR3mDuv2RiSh64ebX_cfKlAooeYCXQCfmsgNKu-dbSU91KcET6ckAUwuWIw

7 hours ago, barnyia said:

Hearing Toulon and Lyon are struggling to get a team together for the coming season, my old club Villeneuve Minervois too, the federation is looking to mix the u19s national and elite league as there are only 15 teams left after the 2 years without playing, which will mean the Catalan u19s  playing against teams with players who are just learning the game, they did a play off system to get into the elite u19s league a few years  and the scores where massive against the weaker teams (most went onto cancel away games against the bigger clubs)  , we won a few games with 80 points, the elite clubs all have strong u19s teams except for st Gaudens, 

The new fixtures are out and in elite 1 it's a strange set up, especially if you're successful, to finish the season it's a week off, then  the playoffs first round, the week after its the semi final of the cup, the week after semi final play offs, the week after final of the cup, the week after its the final of the play offs! So the cup final is planned on the 22 nd may and the grand final the 29th may, 

So two finals in two weeks. 

I'm not sure if La Coste knew how bad of a state the game was in when he took over  but the new ideas they're bringing out  are not the best except for the world cup bid. 

Sad to hear about Toulon and Lyon as they are major cities 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Sad to hear about Toulon and Lyon as they are major cities 

I have already said they need to reinvent the game in some traditional areas.

I have a list of ceased clubs on a sheet down stairs in the garage somewhere under my train set I will dig it out and take a photo it's staggering.

Paul

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I have already said they need to reinvent the game in some traditional areas.

I have a list of ceased clubs on a sheet down stairs in the garage somewhere under my train set I will dig it out and take a photo it's staggering.

Paul

It would be useful to see that list. Were there many clubs around the Lyon area when they were at their peak? 

Archived