You just knew that the union loving BBC would have a ex union player involved in a question of sport

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was it ever in doubt? RU has already had more captains than any other sport, this simply doubles that lead to the next closest.

QoS has been going downhill for a long time and now sounds like it will be just like one of the many other things quiz shows that are knocking about.

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Was it ever in doubt? RU has already had more captains than any other sport, this simply doubles that lead to the next closest.

QoS has been going downhill for a long time and now sounds like it will be just like one of the many other things quiz shows that are knocking about.

It's been apalling for so long I'd have to get out copies of the Dead Sea Scrolls to find out when it was last enjoyable, relevant or interesting. The fact that Aunty once again shows establishment preferences in the lefty tradition is just icing on the boredom cake. Like more or less every soap opera on TV it's well past it's safe to eat date and illustrates just how lacking in ideas and innovation the media in general has become. Dressing it up with these new people is not just rebranding it's resuscitation! The programme is in need of a DNR bracelet.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Surprised its still going. I haven't seen it since Botham and Beaumont were the captains. Definitely couldn't watch it with Barker as host, I find her extremely twee and irritating.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 hours ago, Derwent said:

Surprised its still going. I haven't seen it since Botham and Beaumont were the captains. Definitely couldn't watch it with Barker as host, I find her extremely twee and irritating.

Paddy Mcg as host is a turn off for me as he ladels  his Bolt-on accent to the max.

It’s in the same bracket as have I got news for you , the dregs were squeezed out years back . Great with bill beaumont who knew loads , and emlyn hughes who was a joker . When Colman finished I think I stopped there . My QoS board game has bill and emlyn as skippers , I played it at Christmas with my young nephews and won easily 

never heard of either of the new captains- paddy is now just a pain in the..... but must have a great agent - clapped out -tired format - the bbc needs to be made an archive footage  govt funded service and ditch all these talentless idiots we are paying millions to in licence fees 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 hours ago, The Future is League said:

8 hours ago, Damien said:

8 hours ago, Oxford said:

It's been apalling for so long I'd have to get out copies of the Dead Sea Scrolls to find out when it was last enjoyable, relevant or interesting. The fact that Aunty once again shows establishment preferences in the lefty tradition is just icing on the boredom cake. Like more or less every soap opera on TV it's well past it's safe to eat date and illustrates just how lacking in ideas and innovation the media in general has become. Dressing it up with these new people is not just rebranding it's resuscitation! The programme is in need of a DNR bracelet.

7 hours ago, Derwent said:

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Very poor show, don't know why the BBC keep it going. 

1 hour ago, Stirlin said:

Paddy Mcg as host is a turn off for me as he ladels  his Bolt-on accent to the max.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

It’s in the same bracket as have I got news for you , the dregs were squeezed out years back . Great with bill beaumont who knew loads , and emlyn hughes who was a joker . When Colman finished I think I stopped there . My QoS board game has bill and emlyn as skippers , I played it at Christmas with my young nephews and won easily 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

never heard of either of the new captains- paddy is now just a pain in the..... but must have a great agent - clapped out -tired format - the bbc needs to be made an archive footage  govt funded service and ditch all these talentless idiots we are paying millions to in licence fees 

It's well past it's best before date with an outdated format and needs to be put out of it's agony

Just now, lucky 7 said:

It's well past it's best before date with an outdated format and needs to be put out of it's agony

thats 85% of the bbc

The odd thing is, I very occasionally watch a bit of it, and there's still a quite decent (and sometimes pretty challenging) quiz element to the show, but it's being smothered by all the laboured larking about.

I can't see the latest revamp being a positive move. Shouty McGuinness, the inevitable ex-RU player and Sam Quek, who has always struck me as pleasant but a bit boring.

But I suppose it's been around long enough to be deemed an "institution", so they can't axe it like they did 'They think it's all over' or 'Never mind the Buzzcocks', after (okay, too long after) they stopped being entertaining.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

it needs zoe ball to have another million quid thrown at her from our direct debits (or face prosecution) without choice to sit there and say 

i'm so exited

it's so exiting 

theres so much exitement 

or other brainless waffle sentences that include exiting things

12 hours ago, Oxford said:

The fact that Aunty once again shows establishment preferences in the lefty tradition is just icing on the boredom cake. 

So you think the BBC has "establishment preferences" and functions "in the lefty tradition".

Anyone suggesting that in the politics section gets savaged as a right-wing bigot.

I don't know whether to shunt this to the cross code forum or the politics forum now!

Jeez, so much grumpiness about a telly show.

If tha dunt like it, tha dunt have ter watch it yer know. 

6 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Fewer and fewer people in Bolton speak like that. In terms of accent the place has been swallowed up into the Mancunian conurbation.

Oddly, it`s only the ones still with Hovis vowels who get ont` telly. Including the roly-poly comic who, in my view, is a far better character actor than stand-up.

I used to love it as a kid (Beaumont vs Hughes/Botham era), but I drifted away after that. Not because I didn't like it anymore, but I just was doing other things. I've seen a few episodes over the years since then and I've always enjoyed them. I'm sure it will continue being good under the new host and participants.

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

This seem unreasonably temperate for the internet.

I find the programme dull but harmless. It must still have an audience or else the BBC had a good excuse to stop it for good.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

QoS was produced by BBC Sport until they dumped it to use the money elsewhere and BBC Light Entertainment took it over. Presumably it was seen as a nice, easy show to produce with a ready-built audience that they could continue to run without any real work necessary. That was when I worked there, which is too many years ago now to recall exactly when it happened.

Haven't watched it since Emlyn Hughes was a captain.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

11 hours ago, John Drake said:

I don't know whether to shunt this to the cross code forum or the politics forum now!

Jeez, so much grumpiness about a telly show.

What annoys people like me is the blatantly pro union agenda of the BBC and never in the shows 50 year plus history has there been a captain or host from our game.

11 hours ago, John Drake said:

f tha dunt like it, tha dunt have ter watch it yer know. 

I could say that about 95% of the bbc output but we still have to pay for it . My old Mam got hounded for ages by them despite being told dont worry about it after my dad died and she hardly ever watches the tripe they increasingly pump out so I’m on side for moaning at the bbc 

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I could say that about 95% of the bbc output but we still have to pay for it . My old Mam got hounded for ages by them despite being told dont worry about it after my dad died and she hardly ever watches the tripe they increasingly pump out so I’m on side for moaning at the bbc 

Watching the Euro finals on ITV is it?

That's proper self sacrifice.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

She doesn’t watch football 

"Nor do I, I support [insert team name of choice]"

I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Archived