Random Sporting Clubs/Team Names.

Many Gaelic games clubs take their names from either saints (Irish or otherwise) or people, factions or movements in Irish nationalism.  For instance, when my local city, Salisbury, had a hurling team, they were Salisbury Eire Og, while either Gloucester or Cheltenham (I forget which) had a club called St Patrick's.

However, across in Ireland, the club which has always intrigued me, in terms of its name, is Longford Slashers.  I have just checked and am delighted to discover that they still exist!  Here is the link:

Home | Longford Slashers GAA Club

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Many Gaelic games clubs take their names from either saints (Irish or otherwise) or people, factions or movements in Irish nationalism.  For instance, when my local city, Salisbury, had a hurling team, they were Salisbury Eire Og, while either Gloucester or Cheltenham (I forget which) had a club called St Patrick's.

However, across in Ireland, the club which has always intrigued me, in terms of its name, is Longford Slashers.  I have just checked and am delighted to discover that they still exist!  Here is the link:

Home | Longford Slashers GAA Club

Named after Myles "The Slasher" O'Reilly:

https://secretireland.ie/myles-the-slasher-o-reilly-ireland-s-braveheart/

There used to be a club called "Slashers" in Cavan as well.

On 10/07/2021 at 19:07, Johnoco said:

I used to have a great T-shirt of the Gridiron side Notre Dame Fighting Irish, who I think were a college side?

A mate bought it for me from the states and said it was suitable. 

Were and are. Huge enough to have their own TV deal.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 12/07/2021 at 14:57, gingerjon said:

Were and are. Huge enough to have their own TV deal.

Probably the biggest name in American Football in the era when there was no NFL and College teams were the pinnacle. 

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

American Football and College football names interest me. We moan about names not having any connection with the area in RL but surely not all NFL teams have connections.

A lot of college names are highly specific and localised.

Nebraska Cornhuskers for example.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Probably the biggest name in American Football in the era when there was no NFL and College teams were the pinnacle. 

I hate them with a deep and abiding passion.

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I hate them with a deep and abiding passion.

And yet you support other American sport like MLB?

I think College Football is an interesting phenomenon, when college teams are/were regularly watched by more people than attend the University or College, and more than their local NFL Team.

Thanks to Twitter, I just learned that there is a women's team called the Tampa Mischief.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived