France officially to bid to host 2025 Rugby League World Cup

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Troy Grant of the IRL said during the RLWC press conference that FFR XIII is still committed to a World Cup in France in 2025. Full speed ahead etc.

Great, but I fear this debacle will not help them in negotiations to secure government funding.

On 25/07/2021 at 18:49, The Future is League said:

My interest in the game is hanging by a thread with whats happened over the last 2 or 3 years or so. If the World cup doesn't go ahead and the NRL take over the running of the IRL I'm 90% certain that's me finished with it and i don't think i will be the only one

You can then change your name to - 'The future is to give up'

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Damien said:

A cracking article in the history of the game in France and why they should hold the 2025 World Cup:

https://www.zerotackle.com/why-a-french-rugby-league-world-cup-in-2025-makes-sense-112584/

Very informative, that's the first place I've seen the Protocol governing the game's reinstatement in France spelled out.

21 hours ago, Damien said:

A cracking article in the history of the game in France and why they should hold the 2025 World Cup:

https://www.zerotackle.com/why-a-french-rugby-league-world-cup-in-2025-makes-sense-112584/

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Very informative, that's the first place I've seen the Protocol governing the game's reinstatement in France spelled out.

I agree that it is, overall, a good piece.  The slightly odd omission is that there is no explicit mention of the fact that the very idea of a world cup was essentially a French one. 

Maybe less surprising is the omission that the first, 1954 cup was, allegedly, almost undermined by the Australians.  I have seen it said that they threatened to pull out and were only persuaded to take part by an offer relating to travelling costs made by the French.

RL is not, of course, the only team sport in which the French have played a formative role in respect of international governance.  The international governing body for soccer still has French initials - FIFA.  The first international body for ice hockey was the LIHG - Ligue Internationale de Hockey sur Glace.

14 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I agree that it is, overall, a good piece.  The slightly odd omission is that there is no explicit mention of the fact that the very idea of a world cup was essentially a French one. 

Maybe less surprising is the omission that the first, 1954 cup was, allegedly, almost undermined by the Australians.  I have seen it said that they threatened to pull out and were only persuaded to take part by an offer relating to travelling costs made by the French.

RL is not, of course, the only team sport in which the French have played a formative role in respect of international governance.  The international governing body for soccer still has French initials - FIFA.  The first international body for ice hockey was the LIHG - Ligue Internationale de Hockey sur Glace.

FIA too 

Just now, Big Picture said:

And FIBA, la Fédération Internationale de Basketball.  It's as if the very idea of International governing bodies for sports is of French origin.

I think Barriere also formed the IRLB.

Difficult to know whether the ‘protocol’ mentioned was actually correct as Zero Tackle don’t reference it.  Either way, it’s quite clear how restrictions were placed and continue to be placed in France, based on what contributors to thus Forum have experienced.

I wonder whether making this era (and the history thereafter) a focal point for the 2025 WC will do the French game any good.  Certainly something for debate.

23 hours ago, Damien said:

I have found in the passed that most previous presidents from the FFR13 didn't want to rock the boat with the government in regards to the historical rape and pillage of the game by the Vichy regime.

Sadly a few enjoyed the privileges and freebies too much + being part of the Olympic set up.

Luc Lacoste is a self made person and on a different level and doesn't need the ego trip he has discovered and fallen in love with the game in a very simple way.

* He invested some money in USAP and visited Perpignan for a match

* He read about the Dragons in the local paper and decided to go and watch a match as a paying spectator.

* Fell in love with it on the spot and said to himself why i am wasting my time and money on Rugby Union this game is far better.

Simple as that 

Paul

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I wonder whether making this era (and the history thereafter) a focal point for the 2025 WC will do the French game any good.  Certainly something for debate.

Yes I agree that it would probably be best not appear too bitter, although they certainly have a right too.

This  may be a case where backgrounding journalists or media outlets on what happened and then let them inform the public, the public will then make their own minds up.

Probably best to focus on the positives and the strength and joie de vivre that French League was known for and  how good they were.

But ultimately one of the main things I would be promoting would be the fact that that the Cup itself is named after a Frenchman, that should really make people sit up and take notice, I`d have it travelling the country side leading up to the tournament, setting up in town squares with old footage the lot.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep - guilty 

Well now we know Google is  Union fan.

I've informed them that they are getting it wrong at least 5 times and they don't react.

8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Try 13 times...

I'll do it another 16 times, if you promise to do it another 8?

Maybe we can start a campaign.

Archived