Saw him interviewed the other day, he certainly appears to be an affable big lug.

I`ll never forget once when he wanted more money from the Panthers he said if you don`t cough up I`m off to the All-Blacks. Good old Frank, talk about having tickets on yourself.

He converted to Islam a few years back, maybe that has helped him get the job in Turkey. Any way good-luck to him, should be a great experience and he was a pretty darn good player in his day, so he should have a lot he can teach them.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2021 at 02:02, The Rocket said:

He converted to Islam a few years back, maybe that has helped him get the job in Turkey. Any way good-luck to him, should be a great experience and he was a pretty darn good player in his day, so he should have a lot he can teach them.

I can only speak for my knowledge but Rugby League in Turkey is a bit of a beer drinking culture (sin in Islam) so religion certainly has nothing to do with it. 'Third half' is sometimes seemingly more important than the game at times here. I simply think he has been helpful in the past. I am also not sure he converted either but maybe, farketmez. 

Either way, it is great to see our nation getting more profile and support.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, İzmir Rugby League said:

I can only speak for my knowledge but Rugby League in Turkey is a bit of a beer drinking culture (sin in Islam) so religion certainly has nothing to do with it. 'Third half' is sometimes seemingly more important than the game at times here. I simply think he has been helpful in the past. I am also not sure he converted either but maybe, farketmez. 

Either way, it is great to see our nation getting more profile and support.

Hello from Oz to Turkey, amazing country with an amazing history.

We`ve got a young bloke over here called Emre Guler, of Turkish origins, plays front-row for the Raiders and scored a try on the weekend. His parents own a Turkish restaurant called Watsup Brothers, pretty cool.

Best of luck on your Rugby League journey, and go easy in that third half.👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

We`ve got a young bloke over here called Emre Guler, of Turkish origins, plays front-row for the Raiders and scored a try on the weekend. His parents own a Turkish restaurant called Watsup Brothers, pretty cool.

His parents own it?  Really?  Weren't they the main sponsor on the front of their national team shirt?

7 hours ago, langpark said:

His parents own it?  Really?  Weren't they the main sponsor on the front of their national team shirt?

I didn`t know about the sponsorship but they were talking about it on Thursday night on TV during the game. Actually to be more accurate it was the drongo Andrew Johns and he described it as a kebab shop, typical idiot johns couldn`t get that right, thinks every Turkish restaurant is a kebab shop, he probably thinks it is in a trailer parked in the forecourt of a service station. Anyway I googled it to see if it was true and it was described as a Turkish restaurant.

Johns the half-wit ought to get things like that right especially if they are a sponsor, some people might want to go to dinner there if they knew it was a restaurant, that`s what sponsorship is for, it`s a two way street, instead he tells half a million people on TV it`s a kebab shop and making dumb wise-cracks about free kebabs for all the Raiders players all year. God help us with half-wits like him involved in the game running down the sponsors for a cheap dumb laugh.

You`d never see that buffoonish behaviour in other codes, they`d be talking the place up and recommending it as a dining experience. Imagine what the Guler`s think listening to john`s brain-dead description on T.V.

Any way I thought the name `Watsup Brothers` showed a certain amount of pizazz and I liked it.

p.s. Yes I do believe it is a family run and owned restaurant and they are extremely proud of Emre playing NRL and are big League fans in general.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Good video just posted on the Turkish RL YouTube channel. Looks to be a mainstream TV feature. Bit of Union footage mixed in, but never mind.

Thumbnail - "Haber Global Rugby League Roportajmiz!"

Convenient moment to mention that one of my favourite games from this year was Turkey v Malta in the ERL Championship. Tone was set on the very first play when the Turks moved the ball and went 60 metres from the kick-off.

Demonstrates that you don`t need the best players in the world for RL to be a great game to watch. Just requires two teams with tolerable skill levels, willing to open up, not frightened to take risks, and allowed to get on with it by officials not suffering from knock-on/forward pass/obstruction derangement.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know what is happening in Turkey? I saw on social media that Kadikoy and Ankara (arguably their top two teams) have withdrawn from the competition, citing "unfairness" and general disagreement with the TRLA. 

A real shame. After they successfully staged the Euro Group D competition last year and recently their president got elected to the ERL board, I was hoping this was going to be the start of something special in Turkey, but it seems now that there are some serious cracks appearing. 

On 04/04/2022 at 22:59, langpark said:

Does anyone know what is happening in Turkey? I saw on social media that Kadikoy and Ankara (arguably their top two teams) have withdrawn from the competition, citing "unfairness" and general disagreement with the TRLA. 

Hey, I am here in Turkey. Unfortunately, there are some challenges to do with Union threatening bans on players and clubs who participate in RL (surprise surprise) and player distribution but I am fairly sure we will pass them soon. 

There is talk of a new Istanbul team and Ankara re-entering. Some very unforseen issues have happened which sounded promising but have undermined the wider game. No doubt, everyone will learn from these. 

The short is, I (as a coach and founder of Izmir Rugby League) am still confident in the future of the game here. 

Edited by Izmir Zaferi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Set to become an annual fixture preceding the yearly St. George v. Roosters ANZAC Day clash at the SCG.

NRL 2022: Jansin Turgut, Turkey, Australian Defence Force, ANZAC Day, SCG, live-stream, Super League, car park - NRL

Turkish Rugby League Association president Gurol Yildiz  said Turgut is one of four players who have travelled from England and Germany to join Turkish players based in Australia for the match, which will be live-streamed on NRL.com.

With the match against the ADF now in it's second year, Yildiz said he hoped it would become an annual event and eventually be expanded so Turkey played an ANZAC team comprising players from New Zealand as well as Australia.

"It is so unique, it has to become an annual event," Yildiz said. "This is a true ANZAC Day game that brings Turks and Australians together, so it is wonderful. Hopefully one day we can have the New Zealanders involved too."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick updates from Turkey. 

Bosphorus Wolves lost a close game to Rad Nicki 30 - 28 in the Balkan Super League. 

İzmir Zaferi will play Akdeniz Warriors on Sunday. Reserve players and youth will play a semi-contact game between Manisa Panthers and Karşıyaka Gorillas. 

A new club, Istanbul Lions, previously a dormant Union club (not active in competition) has switched and will play in the TRL Cup, likely with their first game against Izmir or Istanbul Dragon's. 

İt has been a tough restart for RL in Turkey but things are looking up with two new clubs so far entering. 

IMG_20220510_122956_514.jpg

IMG_20220510_122956_540.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1