Who now speaks on behalf of the UK game? And where are they?

We had a SL CEO who tried to become the mouthpiece of the elite professional game and he has gone. Ralph says very little and actively avoids being a prominent voice (not saying he doesn't work hard but he is rarely seen to be driving the game). Hetherington and Lenagan are both old farts now and rarely pipe up with any vigour.

The RLWC seems to have to drive its own way, John Dutton (CEO) does work hard on that but he does not speak for the whole game. We are in a very rocky place at the moment with cancellations, uncertainty and financial worries. Does the game actually need more leadership and direction or can it thrive on ghost press releases and anonymous strategies? The bar for tolerance and aspirational thinking has rarely been so low.

Whether its someone in a leadership position I am not sure. Sometimes you want CEOs who are competent rather than full of charisma; but do we want people in the public eye compellingly and engagingly advocating for the game? Yes. Do we have them? No.

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Us keyboard warriors should be running it:)

Lets all meet up at the golden lion in Batley on Monday and sort all out.

8 PM after the ladies darts 

8:01pm: the first fist-fight over conflicting notions for league restructuring.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Which one person speaks for any sport?

I suppose people may say Gareth Southgate speaks for football but actually he is just a coach. So tell me who speaks for football?  Nobody because just like Rugby League the clubs rule the roost.

That's because nobody will underwrite losses and pour millions in if they don't even get to have control.

53 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That long until an argument ? 

I blame a lack of punctuality in attendance.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 09/07/2021 at 15:46, ATLANTISMAN said:

Is it going to be every Monday? My mother was from Batley.

On 09/07/2021 at 15:46, ATLANTISMAN said:

Great 

I have a 5 year plan and a 10 year plan to present to everybody 

It talks about structure, finances. Development, government assistance, grass roots, and community clubs. 

I also discuss a 12 year international programme with GB test series against the kangaroos and the Kiwis plus a Pacific Island overseas tour in 2026 with a test match in Port Moresby, a test match in Fiji, a test match in Samoa and a test match in tonga 

The Great Britain amature team will also tour Jamaica and the USA in 2024 as well an PNG, the cook islands and Fiji in 2026.

The England academy team will play test matches on tours against the kangaroos and kiwis every four years. 

Super league will increase to 14 teams but relegation and promotion will only take place every 5 years 

Any promoted team to super league will have to have a turnover in excess of 3 million and have 4 community clubs under their umbrella. 

Any team that has developed their own players from academy level will be able to have them on their 30 man squad at zero cost to the salary cap. 

All super league teams must have an academy with educational programmes and degree placements.. 

1 hour ago, The storm said:

Great 

I have a 5 year plan and a 10 year plan to present to everybody 

It talks about structure, finances. Development, government assistance, grass roots, and community clubs. 

I also discuss a 12 year international programme with GB test series against the kangaroos and the Kiwis plus a Pacific Island overseas tour in 2026 with a test match in Port Moresby, a test match in Fiji, a test match in Samoa and a test match in tonga 

The Great Britain amature team will also tour Jamaica and the USA in 2024 as well an PNG, the cook islands and Fiji in 2026.

The England academy team will play test matches on tours against the kangaroos and kiwis every four years. 

Super league will increase to 14 teams but relegation and promotion will only take place every 5 years 

Any promoted team to super league will have to have a turnover in excess of 3 million and have 4 community clubs under their umbrella. 

Any team that has developed their own players from academy level will be able to have them on their 30 man squad at zero cost to the salary cap. 

All super league teams must have an academy with educational programmes and degree placements.. 

That's far to ambitious for some in our game

On 09/07/2021 at 19:26, Scubby said:

We had a SL CEO who tried to become the mouthpiece of the elite professional game and he has gone. Ralph says very little and actively avoids being a prominent voice (not saying he doesn't work hard but he is rarely seen to be driving the game). Hetherington and Lenagan are both old farts now and rarely pipe up with any vigour.

The RLWC seems to have to drive its own way, John Dutton (CEO) does work hard on that but he does not speak for the whole game. We are in a very rocky place at the moment with cancellations, uncertainty and financial worries. Does the game actually need more leadership and direction or can it thrive on ghost press releases and anonymous strategies? The bar for tolerance and aspirational thinking has rarely been so low.

On 10/07/2021 at 00:10, EssexRL said:

Whether its someone in a leadership position I am not sure. Sometimes you want CEOs who are competent rather than full of charisma; but do we want people in the public eye compellingly and engagingly advocating for the game? Yes. Do we have them? No.

On 10/07/2021 at 00:46, ATLANTISMAN said:

On 10/07/2021 at 00:49, Futtocks said:

8:01pm: the first fist-fight over conflicting notions for league restructuring.

For all his faults, Maurice Lindsey got the game column inches in the national press and non Rugby League people talking about the game and sponsors on board when he was head honcho and Uncle Mo was never short of a comment.

12 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

For all his faults, Maurice Lindsey got the game column inches in the national press and non Rugby League people talking about the game and sponsors on board when he was head honcho and Uncle Mo was never short of a comment.

Chairman Mo may not have been right about everything, and what he was right about may not have been good for everybody. But he got people in the game talking and thinking about about progress and he got people outside the game talking about RL. And he made things happen, for better or worse. Now we have cats in a sack.

It would have been so much easier for him carry on being a successful club chairman, possibly at the expense of the game as a whole.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Chairman Mo may not have been right about everything, and what he was right about may not have been good for everybody. But he got people in the game talking and thinking about about progress and he got people outside the game talking about RL. And he made things happen, for better or worse. Now we have cats in a sack.

It would have been so much easier for him carry on being a successful club chairman, possibly at the expense of the game as a whole.

I struggle to think who's out there with a love of our game who's not involved with the game at the moment who could take the game forward. Not necessarily someone who's played the game at a high level,or played the game at all, but someone with a love for the game who has been successful in business perhaps

The present crew are not doing too badly at present in my view. Ignore the Elstone (who?) debacle and in my view the RFL and clubs at all levels have done and continue to do well in keeping our cash-strapped sport going throughout the pandemic.  It's a dead duck of a season now and we're just playing out the last few weeks of the season until, as we all hope and trust, conditions improve so the World Cup can go ahead. 

Archived