match on sunday

tandle

Gutted couldn’t get to the game today due to Covid. Even worse was watching that match on Our League. Expected a bounce with a new legend of a manager but some of the basic errors throughout were unforgivable again from the absolute start. Communication is a basic at any level of sport. We made Bradford look like the Harlem Globetrotters especially Keyes who looked like he was untouchable. The worst display of the season for me when I was buzzing beforehand thought this was our turning point. Very disappointed but we go again got 2 weeks break to sort this mess out…hopefully Brian Mac gets stuck in now back to basics got to be our squad is better than this surely..

According to reports Keyes murdered us, scoring 30 points alone and basically taking the mick at will. Surely someone somewhere must have some half backs to loan out. From what I’ve seen and heard we have little plan, coordination or communication from half back positions. Two halves with sleeves rolled up and deep knowledge of the game- to do a similar job the player (whose name I’ve forgotten) from Keighley did in promotion season. He just knew what to do and organised everyone around him. We’re missing that.

Taking 'the mick' describes what happened perfectly. You could see he was laughing at the pathetic attempts to stop him. he was allowed to do whatever he wanted and the others just fed off him.

Yes, we need some creativity but we could have at least shown BM on Sunday that we could put bodies on the line and defend. Remember 'fortress Bower fold' being promised ? More like a sandcastle now and getting worse.

As stated elsewhere, we may be seeing the end of a once great club and I don't see the way out.

A great coach yes, but miracle worker?

But what can Oldham do?

Start to prepare for league one now?

The club can hardly shake out players like a cabinet reshuffle.

Money is sure to be tight, especially after the pandemic.

If Brian McDermott cant improve things well It cannot be done, for he is a very good coach indeed and I was astonished to hear of his appointment.

Chris cannot be faulted with that coup.

I hope the players dont read this forum because anyone who knows the game would clearly see that the Championship Is a high quality competition, The funding skewed to the top teams and Oldham are Unsurprisingly the whipping dogs.

Its so personal isnt it...Im still in awe of any player who would go on a pitch and do what the Lads do for 80 minutes...Something I dared not do when I was a young fit athlete.

Mc Dermott needs time and so do the lads.

Its a really tough league for sure and I was hoping we had a squad good enough to compete. I do think we have to think about league one now and getting together a good team. 

Even then we need a budget available to field a team capable of competing in this league. What I would really love to see is the club engage much more with the amateur sides in Oldham and give some local lads a chance. 

2 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

But what can Oldham do?

Start to prepare for league one now?

The club can hardly shake out players like a cabinet reshuffle.

Money is sure to be tight, especially after the pandemic.

If Brian McDermott cant improve things well It cannot be done, for he is a very good coach indeed and I was astonished to hear of his appointment.

Chris cannot be faulted with that coup.

I hope the players dont read this forum because anyone who knows the game would clearly see that the Championship Is a high quality competition, The funding skewed to the top teams and Oldham are Unsurprisingly the whipping dogs.

Its so personal isnt it...Im still in awe of any player who would go on a pitch and do what the Lads do for 80 minutes...Something I dared not do when I was a young fit athlete.

Mc Dermott needs time and so do the lads.

"Whipping dogs" compared with whom? Certainly not those clubs (a significant number) who are operating with lower playing budgets than Oldham. It is easy to forget that you really pushed the boat out, unwisely as it emerged, on signing players for this season.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Stats-

D.Abram-5 tackles. 2 offloads. one tackle bust. 11 carries=68m

Hartley-2 tackles. 3 tackle busts. 8 carries=56m

Ince-9 tackles. 2 misses. 8 carries=46m

Roberts-12 tackles. 4 misses. one tackle bust. one clean break. one try assist. 15 carries=105m

Holcroft-one tackle. one miss. 3 clean breaks. 8 carries=72m

Charnock-22 tackles. 3 misses. one tackle bust. one try assist. 4 carries=33m

Barran-9 tackles. 5 misses. one try assist. 3 carries=7m

Kirk-11 tackles. 2 carries=22m

Owen-13 tackles. 3 misses. 3 carries=25m

Reilly-34 tackles. 2 misses. 6 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 12 carries=87m

Langtree-36 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. 8 carries=50m

Pick-13 tackles. 4 misses. 4 carries=23m

Bent-72 tackles. 5 misses. 4 carries=26m

subs

Nelmes-42 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. 10 carries=66m

Dupree-32 tackles. 4 misses. one offload. 8 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 13 carries=102m

Bridge-34 tackles. 3 misses. one tackle bust. 3 carries=19m

J.Abram-19 tackles. 2 misses. 3 tackle busts. one clean break. one try assist. 6 carries=69m

A new club record 72 tackles for Benty. If he'd have stayed on for the last 10 mins or so he would have gone close to Houghton's all time Super League record. He made 50 tackles by half time which I think is a record for any half of rugby.

The effort is definitely there as you can see.

Bmac was always up against it first game only 3 training sessions with the lads.

game was over at half time we put cue on rack disappointed did same with batley week before too we remain the best of the rest. 

keyes was the difference run the show has said he took both teams where ever he wanted to play from. Your 4 tries second half does show no giving up attitude.

beat haven next way life still in your team to pull off survival feel a defeat and has said prepare for league one.

good luck

41 minutes ago, Bullmania said:

Bmac was always up against it first game only 3 training sessions with the lads.

game was over at half time we put cue on rack disappointed did same with batley week before too we remain the best of the rest. 

keyes was the difference run the show has said he took both teams where ever he wanted to play from. Your 4 tries second half does show no giving up attitude.

beat haven next way life still in your team to pull off survival feel a defeat and has said prepare for league one.

good luck

It'll take more than luck mate. 

1 hour ago, tandle said:

.problem with league 1 we have no ground.

Why is this?

Will Celtic kick you out?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Why is this?

Will Celtic kick you out?

Probably depends on how much the rent is. Central funding will be less in league 1 and the number of attendees to matches will decrease. All in all it probably doesn't paint a particularly rosie picture. 

I'm not convinced that Oldham have a higher playing budget than a significant number of clubs. The squad is made up of players who got us promoted from League 1 & released from SL academies with a few Championship players. Those who we have outbid other clubs for are limited to Nelmes (disappointing) & Reilly (very good). Kirk (good) wasn't wanted at Bradford, Pick (poor) was available.

Archived