The Broadcasting and Business side of the NRL.

On 18/10/2021 at 19:44, unapologetic pedant said:

According to Mediaweek, Seven have pulled out of negotiations and were after a deal that involved SOO and two NRL games a week.

Dispiritingly, it`s looking like Nine will get exclusive FTA rights again. Hard to believe, some reports suggest the NRL want "The Footy Show" to return.:kolobok_suicide:

Does @Sports Prophet or @The Rocket ever see "The Front Bar"? Is this a Fumble panel show or just light entertainment in keeping with the subject matter?

Wikipedia article on The Front Bar: “In April 2017, the show moved timeslots from 9:30pm to 8:30pm to go head-to-head with the Nine Network's long-running The Footy Show

Having listened to the podcast below on the Aussie “football” codes, I’m not surprised by the above entry. Going by the data, Aussie Rules is a much bigger code than RL, with far more members, more spectators, basically a more devoted fanbase, hence them confidently putting their show on at the same time slot as the RL one. Those who watch Aussie Rules on tv do so as they are devoted to it, whereas RL, having four “events” (three State of Origin games, and the NRL final) they are able to garner more casual viewers who don’t really care about RL. This would explain the gulf in numbers who go to watch the two codes. Also, polls of Aussie Rules followers show a much higher % who are solely interested in Aussie Rules than RL followers are to RL. This last poll surprised me, for I know this is anecdotal but I’ve come across many folk from Melbourne (and Victoria) in Liverpool FC message boards, and yet, from the data, it’s Sydney that is more diverse (spread around) when it comes to sporting interest.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/811618

Such a fascinating listen. The sporting landscape there is completely unlike here, as we have one behemoth, the Premier League (football in general), while the rest feed off the scraps. There is no competition here, or any needle (ie. Vlandy type) among the leaders of different sports. They also compare the A League there to the Super League here...sometimes looking to expand, other times going into protect mode. 

Going by the views expressed and the data Aussie Rules seems a lot more confident in its product, more secure, which is why the RL chief Vlandys and RL followers there are more attacking than their Aussie Rules counterparts. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DC77 said:

Wikipedia article on The Front Bar: “In April 2017, the show moved timeslots from 9:30pm to 8:30pm to go head-to-head with the Nine Network's long-running The Footy Show

Having listened to the podcast below on the Aussie “football” codes, I’m not surprised by the above entry. Going by the data, Aussie Rules is a much bigger code than RL, with far more members, more spectators, basically a more devoted fanbase, hence them confidently putting their show on at the same time slot as the RL one. Those who watch Aussie Rules on tv do so as they are devoted to it, whereas RL, having four “events” (three State of Origin games, and the NRL final) they are able to garner more casual viewers who don’t really care about RL. This would explain the gulf in numbers who go to watch the two codes. Also, polls of Aussie Rules followers show a much higher % who are solely interested in Aussie Rules than RL followers are to RL. This last poll surprised me, for I know this is anecdotal but I’ve come across many folk from Melbourne (and Victoria) in Liverpool FC message boards, and yet, from the data, it’s Sydney that is more diverse (spread around) when it comes to sporting interest.

Such a fascinating listen. The sporting landscape there is completely unlike here, as we have one behemoth, the Premier League (football in general), while the rest feed off the scraps. There is no competition here, or any needle (ie. Vlandy type) among the leaders of different sports. They also compare the A League there to the Super League here...sometimes looking to expand, other times going into protect mode. 

Going by the views expressed and the data Aussie Rules seems a lot more confident in its product, more secure, which is why the RL chief Vlandys and RL followers there are more attacking than their Aussie Rules counterparts. 

AFL is very confident in its game, always has been. People born in AFL states the game is part of the culture.

I feel vlandys panders to rugby league supporters with all this afl bashing as he knows or has been told that we want our leaders sticking up for our game.

On 19/10/2021 at 08:14, The Rocket said:

It won`t be like the Footy Show. I`ll be fascinated to see what plans V`landy`s has for this but I`ll guarantee he`s got something cooking.

I don`t think that is the only show that combines humour and f-ball coverage. Once again an example of where the afl leave us in the dust by promoting their game to a wider demographic. 

I was watching `Have You Be Paying Attention ` recently, a comedy show where several comedians answer questions on current affairs. The host asked what Sydney sporting team wears the famous white jumper with a red V, one of the contestants immediately said " the swans". I felt like shooting the ####, thankfully Marty Sheargold said St. George. He`s a genuinely funny bloke, the NRL ought to approach him. In their ham-fisted way Nine did have Roy and HG on every week a couple of years ago, they were hilarious 30 years ago but are way too dated now . It was a disaster Freddy and co. had no idea what they were talking about, in fact Freddy unwittingly was doing a bloody good impersonation of Alan Partridge he was so befuddled.

Spill the food all the way up your footpath and onto the frontsteps.

League shows will work as long as they keep ex star players out of them

3 hours ago, rlno1 said:

AFL is very confident in its game, always has been. People born in AFL states the game is part of the culture.

I wouldn`t be so sure of that. Fumble supporters are more than well aware that the game is highly unlikely to ever gain traction any where but Oz, once the home market is saturated, there will ultimately only be long-term decline. We are not the United States that has 350m people to sustain a unique country specific sport, as much as afl supporters take heart from gridiron and its` dominance in the U.S.

This situation will be aided by the inevitable growth of soccer in this country, which will happen at some stage, soccer just has got far too much going for it internationally for it not to eventually be a major code in this country.

Hopefully this will also coincide with the rise of either League or a hybrid version of League and union, which has similar international advantages as soccer, just not as pronounced.

I live in an AFL state and am sure that they are very confident in their game. AFL people are very passionate about their clubs unlike RL that's why their grounds are full.

They don't care about the international component. It will always have it's place in Australia.

56 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

I live in an AFL state and am sure that they are very confident in their game. AFL people are very passionate about their clubs unlike RL that's why their grounds are full.

They don't care about the international component. It will always have it's place in Australia.

I`m not talking next week you dill.

9 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I feel vlandys panders to rugby league supporters with all this afl bashing as he knows or has been told that we want our leaders sticking up for our game.

The podcast touches on Vlandys’ bashing AFL, saying it’s counterproductive as it feeds into the image of RL as a downmarket, working class ruffian type activity (they didn’t use those words specifically). I have seen the Aussie word Bogan used for RL followers in Aus, types like that bloke from Crocodile Dundee, Donk. Personally the working class label wouldn’t bother me, but Aussies appear more conscious of it than I’d previously thought. I know RL can be rough (“bring back the biff”), but Aussie Rules is no shrinking violet either when it comes to dishing it out (our Gaelic players routinely got a hiding during the international Rules series), so any perception that Aussie Rules is the more classier product would be a surprise. The bigger take from the podcast though is that going by the data Aussie Rules has got much deeper roots and devotion in Aussie society than RL. 

Just watched Monday night’s “Have You Been Paying Attention”. There is a regular kiwi female guest (Mel something) that always seems to put the boot into RL in one of her answers for the show.

A question tonight was “What is the new NRL team called”.

A Welsh comedian rather funnily said… “The Dolphins, Tom, which is fitting because they have no necks and are sexually aggressive”.

Now I did have a giggle at the answer, but, I do find this show likes to put a little dig in against RL when it can. Passive aggressive is probably the best term I can think for it.

Has anyone else noticed any clear RL bashing on commercial television?

14 hours ago, DC77 said:

I would suggest “The Footy Show” they are referring to is Channel 9s AFL Footy Show hosted by Eddie McGuire, rather than the NRL Footy Show.

The critical point being that these shows were now sharing a time slot in the AFL favoured states.

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I would suggest “The Footy Show” they are referring to is Channel 9s AFL Footy Show hosted by Eddie McGuire, rather than the NRL Footy Show.

The critical point being that these shows were now sharing a time slot in the AFL favoured states.

Ahh ok. Didn’t realise Aussie Rules was also called footy in Oz.

Think The Rocket is underestimating the devotion Aussie Rules followers have towards the game in Oz. I don’t think they care about it being international, similarly neither does anyone in Ireland about Gaelic football. Had a quick read through a few team articles on Wikipedia (Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne)..while I already knew they were old I still found it amazing to see images (team photos, scenes from games) from the mid 19th century. My own club Liverpool FC didn’t even exist. We’re a mere pup compared to these. Aussie Rules has been embedded into the fabric of Australia almost from the get go. That’s not going to shift anytime soon.

8 hours ago, DC77 said:

The podcast touches on Vlandys’ bashing AFL, saying it’s counterproductive as it feeds into the image of RL as a downmarket, working class ruffian type activity (they didn’t use those words specifically). I have seen the Aussie word Bogan used for RL followers in Aus, types like that bloke from Crocodile Dundee, Donk. Personally the working class label wouldn’t bother me, but Aussies appear more conscious of it than I’d previously thought. I know RL can be rough (“bring back the biff”), but Aussie Rules is no shrinking violet either when it comes to dishing it out (our Gaelic players routinely got a hiding during the international Rules series), so any perception that Aussie Rules is the more classier product would be a surprise. The bigger take from the podcast though is that going by the data Aussie Rules has got much deeper roots and devotion in Aussie society than RL. 

Spot on, what AFL does very well is create an image of how they want their game to be perceived. They have a strong influence on the media that reports their game. 

They are dismissive of RL.

46 minutes ago, DC77 said:

8 hours ago, DC77 said:

AFL is just as bad if not worse then rugby league in terms of off field behaviour, however they hide it better and control the media. It is reported then left alone whereas rugby league it is reported days on end linked with other RL bad behaviour and repeated until it creates a clear perception of the game out of control.  It now has become a joke in general society of RL players acting badly. I recall when the Bulldogs Coffs Harbour "rape" incident made headlines and the media went into overdrive damaged the game tenfold. However the police knew the players were innocent and had nothing to answer to yet the media ran with it.

Recently major newspaper journo Michael Warner wrote a book on all the bad AFL incidents and cover ups linking them together. The team I always was amazed about was the West Coast Eagles who were well out of control and no one did a thing as they were winning. 

You can hear him talk about the book here:

https://footyology.com.au/footyology-podcast-special-edition-michael-warner/

48 minutes ago, DC77 said:

Ahh ok. Didn’t realise Aussie Rules was also called footy in Oz.

Think The Rocket is underestimating the devotion Aussie Rules followers have towards the game in Oz. I don’t think they care about it being international, similarly neither does anyone in Ireland about Gaelic football. Had a quick read through a few team articles on Wikipedia (Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne)..while I already knew they were old I still found it amazing to see images (team photos, scenes from games) from the mid 19th century. My own club Liverpool FC didn’t even exist. We’re a mere pup compared to these. Aussie Rules has been embedded into the fabric of Australia almost from the get go. That’s not going to shift anytime soon.

Melbourne played Geelong for a spot in the GF a few weeks ago. They are the two worlds oldest existing professional football clubs I heard.

Australian Rules has history older than most modern day sports.

22 hours ago, DC77 said:

Those who watch Aussie Rules on tv do so as they are devoted to it, whereas RL, having four “events” (three State of Origin games, and the NRL final) they are able to garner more casual viewers who don’t really care about RL. 

The fly in the ointment of this claim is that NRL consistently and significantly out-rates AFL on Pay TV and streaming. On FTA TV, it`s the other way round. Which indicates that week-to-week AFL attracts more casual viewers than NRL. Proportionately, more people pay to watch NRL than AFL.

59 minutes ago, DC77 said:

Think The Rocket is underestimating the devotion Aussie Rules followers have towards the game in Oz. 

Aussie Rules has been embedded into the fabric of Australia almost from the get go. That’s not going to shift anytime soon.

AFL have astutely baked Aussie patriotism into depictions of their game. There`s public pressure to support AFL similar to a war effort. And it`s the type of circus spectacle that can be vaguely enjoyed without knowing or thinking too much.

You shouldn`t underestimate the effect of RU on RL in NSW and QLD. There has never been an equivalent drag on the popularity of Aussie Rules in their traditional States. When a sport reaches equally into all socio-economic strata, it creates a greater-than-the-sum-of-the-parts cultural dominance. Such as with Soccer in England.

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Just watched Monday night’s “Have You Been Paying Attention”. There is a regular kiwi female guest (Mel something) that always seems to put the boot into RL in one of her answers for the show.

A question tonight was “What is the new NRL team called”.

A Welsh comedian rather funnily said… “The Dolphins, Tom, which is fitting because they have no necks and are sexually aggressive”.

Once a stereotype is established, it stands as a reliable source of cheap lines. As stereotypes based on gender, race, sexuality, certain nationalities and religions, have become verboten in the mainstream, so unimaginative comedians have looked for alternatives. RL is a trusty expedient because it allows the middle-class to sneer at the working-class with impunity. The Football details are a veneer. Underneath, it`s all about social class.

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Has Seven in Sydney ever produced NRL content, other than news items?

3 hours ago, DC77 said:

Think The Rocket is underestimating the devotion Aussie Rules followers have towards the game in Oz.

I`m not saying people are going to desert fumble-ball en masse overnight. This will be a gradual process.

What is much more likely to happen is that as the soccer rivalries with our Asian neighbours grows stronger, we already have a strong rivalry with Japan, they will gain more and more publicity and people tuning into watch. Japan is just the tip of the iceberg, Vietnam, China, India etc. etc. etc. will all become strong soccer playing nations, the game suits their body types and Asian parents notorious concern for not wanting their children to play any sport that may involve the risk of head-injury, however minor, if it may effect their academic ability.

As these rivalries develop I think we will see more and more kids want to be a part of it. They will become events, points of national pride, events where winning Oz soccer teams will create heroes. This is before we even get to World Cups and possible tours by other powerful soccer nations.

Long story short, it will become more desirable to play soccer. Once the talented athletic kids start going to soccer it becomes a downward spiral for the fumbleball, they will be left with the second-rate talents, the product will suffer and the downward spiral will continue.

This is before we even get into who makes up the majority of people who are migrating to Australia, Asians and Indians by far, not a demographic associated with afl and unlikely to become one, soccer is their sport.

I haven`t even mentioned the money, christ I`ve heard of blokes playing for fourth tier obscure European competitions that earn more than first grade afl players. And getting to live in amazing different parts of the world to boot.

For those of us outside of Aus it's easier to think of Aussie Rules like a religion, say Mormonism in Utah for a non-confrontational analogy. Aussie Rules fans believe that their players could walk into most sports teams in the EPL, NFL, NBA, etc. They believe that watching one game will turn everyone into a fan. They're generally happy with the same dozen suburban Melbourne teams entrenched at the top-tier of the game and that it's only a matter of time until all Australians 'convert' to being AR fans. Etc This thinking goes back to before federation (I'll try to find and add an ancient newspaper piece once I get time later today).

For whatever reason there was never a real competitor like the RL/RU division you see even to this day in Syd/Bris, you either followed AFL or one of those 'unAustralian/foreign' sports. eg: It was only in the 2010's the Melbourne built their first proper football stadium for the Storm and Victory to use.

As Rocket points out their game's hierarchy is threatened by soccer as they compete for the similar body types and both are non-collision sports. In the 1990's the AFL's television partner even purchased the rights to the NSL & purposefully buried it to prove their devotion to supporting the AFL. '

Glamorous' international soccer has never been more accessible and the demographics of the last few decades are no longer the same as they were until the 1980s. AFL is still very much a 'white' game like cricket and while cricket can tap into subcontinental immigrants there's not much for the AFL to tap into. The NRL is around 40% pacific islander which is something the AFL specifically tried to attract with the 'conversion' of Hunt and Folau. They've also experimented with playing games in NZ, China, South Africa and elsewhere which have all fallen flat.

All of this is to say that while British RL fans might believe they have a small market to work with, it's really nothing as worryingly small as what I assume the AFL itself sees. It's the reason for the aggressive and expensive expansion attempts to NSW and Queensland. Some may see hubris, others may see desperation.

Who knows how it'll play out, demographics and access to international pro leagues are not something the AFL can control. Since the mid-90's Super League War the AFL has been entrenched as the richest pro-sports body in the land, however the NRL, despite all of the ridiculous self-inflicted wounds and the challenge of RU in the RL heartland, is still growing and challenging the AFL for top dog status.

This next period of expansion (I can see both leagues ending up with 20 teams each) will be incredibly telling as I can see the 2020's/2030's turning into a repeat of the 1980's/1990's where both leagues were in competition and trying to grow from suburban comps to national comps. Where those extra players and fans come from will be key.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The fly in the ointment of this claim is that NRL consistently and significantly out-rates AFL on Pay TV and streaming. On FTA TV, it`s the other way round. Which indicates that week-to-week AFL attracts more casual viewers than NRL. Proportionately, more people pay to watch NRL than AFL.

AFL have astutely baked Aussie patriotism into depictions of their game. There`s public pressure to support AFL similar to a war effort. And it`s the type of circus spectacle that can be vaguely enjoyed without knowing or thinking too much.

You shouldn`t underestimate the effect of RU on RL in NSW and QLD. There has never been an equivalent drag on the popularity of Aussie Rules in their traditional States. When a sport reaches equally into all socio-economic strata, it creates a greater-than-the-sum-of-the-parts cultural dominance. Such as with Soccer in England.

This entire post is personal opinion (and a biased one). 

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I`m not saying people are going to desert fumble-ball en masse overnight. This will be a gradual process.

What is much more likely to happen is that as the soccer rivalries with our Asian neighbours grows stronger, we already have a strong rivalry with Japan, they will gain more and more publicity and people tuning into watch. Japan is just the tip of the iceberg, Vietnam, China, India etc. etc. etc. will all become strong soccer playing nations, the game suits their body types and Asian parents notorious concern for not wanting their children to play any sport that may involve the risk of head-injury, however minor, if it may effect their academic ability.

As these rivalries develop I think we will see more and more kids want to be a part of it. They will become events, points of national pride, events where winning Oz soccer teams will create heroes. This is before we even get to World Cups and possible tours by other powerful soccer nations.

Long story short, it will become more desirable to play soccer. Once the talented athletic kids start going to soccer it becomes a downward spiral for the fumbleball, they will be left with the second-rate talents, the product will suffer and the downward spiral will continue.

This is before we even get into who makes up the majority of people who are migrating to Australia, Asians and Indians by far, not a demographic associated with afl and unlikely to become one, soccer is their sport.

I haven`t even mentioned the money, christ I`ve heard of blokes playing for fourth tier obscure European competitions that earn more than first grade afl players. And getting to live in amazing different parts of the world to boot.

Don’t think Aussies will ever have a strong domestic league in football, which is the only way I could see it displacing Aussie Rules. You are too small a market (all the best tend to go overseas quickly, Harry Kewell left in his early teens if I’m not mistaken). A smaller sport can thrive in Oz as there’s little else outside it to compete with...for instance Aussie Rules being solely Oz will always have its best players there, therefore Aussie fans will continue to be able to watch the best Aussie Rules has to offer, and the NRL has next to no competition outside Oz (the sport’s only other pro league Super League earns peanuts in comparison, less than a sixth of NRL’s tv money), so again, Oz will always have the best RL players there. If say the Super League here was the Premier League with almost all players of real quality earning 100k per week (the top ones 350k plus), there’d be a conveyor belt of Aussie RL players heading over here sharpish, stripping the NRL of all of its best talent, resulting in a nosedive in popularity in Oz. This won’t happen of course. Aussie Rules (and the NRL) will continue to have the best domestic league in their respective sports, thus their status won’t be touched. There may well be more Aussie footballers produced (as you say, due to more Asians arriving in Oz, or even a FIFA World Cup held in Australia triggering more development), but I think the main effect of that would be more Aussie exports arriving in the top leagues. 

The physical aspect (concussion) is an increasing concern for collision sports, and while a decline in % of the population who play these sports is likely in a more safety conscious world, there will still be enough talent for Aussie Rules (and RL) to maintain their status. It would take a monumental shift in playing numbers to really alter things.

2 hours ago, DC77 said:

This entire post is personal opinion (and a biased one). 

Don’t think Aussies will ever have a strong domestic league in football, which is the only way I could see it displacing Aussie Rules. You are too small a market (all the best tend to go overseas quickly, Harry Kewell left in his early teens if I’m not mistaken). A smaller sport can thrive in Oz as there’s little else outside it to compete with...for instance Aussie Rules being solely Oz will always have its best players there, therefore Aussie fans will continue to be able to watch the best Aussie Rules has to offer, and the NRL has next to no competition outside Oz (the sport’s only other pro league Super League earns peanuts in comparison, less than a sixth of NRL’s tv money), so again, Oz will always have the best RL players there. If say the Super League here was the Premier League with almost all players of real quality earning 100k per week (the top ones 350k plus), there’d be a conveyor belt of Aussie RL players heading over here sharpish, stripping the NRL of all of its best talent, resulting in a nosedive in popularity in Oz. This won’t happen of course. Aussie Rules (and the NRL) will continue to have the best domestic league in their respective sports, thus their status won’t be touched. There may well be more Aussie footballers produced (as you say, due to more Asians arriving in Oz, or even a FIFA World Cup held in Australia triggering more development), but I think the main effect of that would be more Aussie exports arriving in the top leagues. 

The physical aspect (concussion) is an increasing concern for collision sports, and while a decline in % of the population who play these sports is likely in a more safety conscious world, there will still be enough talent for Aussie Rules (and RL) to maintain their status. It would take a monumental shift in playing numbers to really alter things.

You`ve been run off the other forum, you might as well save your typing finger, I didn`t read that post, I`ve said all I have to say to you I`m not interested in exchanging posts with someone who can`t help having sly digs at League all the time. Take a hike.

3 hours ago, GreenAndGold said:

For those of us outside of Aus it's easier to think of Aussie Rules like a religion, say Mormonism in Utah for a non-confrontational analogy. Aussie Rules fans believe that their players could walk into most sports teams in the EPL, NFL, NBA, etc. They believe that watching one game will turn everyone into a fan. They're generally happy with the same dozen suburban Melbourne teams entrenched at the top-tier of the game and that it's only a matter of time until all Australians 'convert' to being AR fans. Etc This thinking goes back to before federation (I'll try to find and add an ancient newspaper piece once I get time later today).

For whatever reason there was never a real competitor like the RL/RU division you see even to this day in Syd/Bris, you either followed AFL or one of those 'unAustralian/foreign' sports. eg: It was only in the 2010's the Melbourne built their first proper football stadium for the Storm and Victory to use.

As Rocket points out their game's hierarchy is threatened by soccer as they compete for the similar body types and both are non-collision sports. In the 1990's the AFL's television partner even purchased the rights to the NSL & purposefully buried it to prove their devotion to supporting the AFL. '

Glamorous' international soccer has never been more accessible and the demographics of the last few decades are no longer the same as they were until the 1980s. AFL is still very much a 'white' game like cricket and while cricket can tap into subcontinental immigrants there's not much for the AFL to tap into. The NRL is around 40% pacific islander which is something the AFL specifically tried to attract with the 'conversion' of Hunt and Folau. They've also experimented with playing games in NZ, China, South Africa and elsewhere which have all fallen flat.

All of this is to say that while British RL fans might believe they have a small market to work with, it's really nothing as worryingly small as what I assume the AFL itself sees. It's the reason for the aggressive and expensive expansion attempts to NSW and Queensland. Some may see hubris, others may see desperation.

Who knows how it'll play out, demographics and access to international pro leagues are not something the AFL can control. Since the mid-90's Super League War the AFL has been entrenched as the richest pro-sports body in the land, however the NRL, despite all of the ridiculous self-inflicted wounds and the challenge of RU in the RL heartland, is still growing and challenging the AFL for top dog status.

This next period of expansion (I can see both leagues ending up with 20 teams each) will be incredibly telling as I can see the 2020's/2030's turning into a repeat of the 1980's/1990's where both leagues were in competition and trying to grow from suburban comps to national comps. Where those extra players and fans come from will be key.

Well said mate. I think it`s only a matter of time before Asian soccer will rival European soccer for money and European and South American soccer for quality. The Asian championships ( inc. Oz ) will rival the Copa`s in South America and the Euros, it will be impossible to ignore and will be played here regularly. Playing soccer will no longer be the game for the blokes who can`t play contact sports. and once it breaks that barrier it will be hard to stop.

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Has Seven in Sydney ever produced NRL content, other than news items?

Not any panel type shows that I can ever recall. They were broadcasters of the last World Cup I think, but they didn’t add any daily panel chat or anything similar… unless someone can correct me.

7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

In Syd, SE Qld and WA (maybe all of NSW, QLD, WA and SA) the local AFL teams are all presented live on FTA. I would simply say, that is where fans go for their AFL fix. There is less reliance on Pay TV which would actually suggest that AFL fans watch less of other teams fixtures and as such being less the casual viewers that you think.

To watch an AFL game is a pretty big investment of your time. Almost double that of RL. I have also theorised in the past that whilst ratings for the two sports across all TV is similar, there are more individual eyeballs watching AFL than NRL. Theory being, more RL fans will watch multiple fixtures a week than AFL. Of course that theory is totally unsubstantiated, but it’s one of only few theories I have as to why AFL continues to get significantly more TV income than NRL when the Pay TV viewing figures especially are in favour of NRL.

Archived