Send The Dirty Get Off...

As the sad act I am, I got to thinking about players who have both being sent off whilst playing for Rovers, and against us too.

I don't think it is all too common for it to happen so wondered if you recall it happening to any of your clubs' players.

The only one I know for certain was Stanley Gene. In 1996 (or 1997 maybe - I can't bloody remember) we played Dewsbury at Crown Flatt (it had only being built about 3 years previous), and it was my first ever away game.

Typically we lost, of course and if I remember correctly Stanley Gene was sent off in the first half for trying to take someone's head off.

Fast forward to 2002 and Huddersfield beat us 32-4 in the Buddies Cup final. For whatever reason I didn't get to this game but Gene had moved on to play for the Giants and was dismissed 4 minutes from time for tripping.

4 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

As the sad act I am, I got to thinking about players who have both being sent off whilst playing for Rovers, and against us too.

I don't think it is all too common for it to happen so wondered if you recall it happening to any of your clubs' players.

The only one I know for certain was Stanley Gene. In 1996 (or 1997 maybe - I can't bloody remember) we played Dewsbury at Crown Flatt (it had only being built about 3 years previous), and it was my first ever away game.

Typically we lost, of course and if I remember correctly Stanley Gene was sent off in the first half for trying to take someone's head off.

Fast forward to 2002 and Huddersfield beat us 32-4 in the Buddies Cup final. For whatever reason I didn't get to this game but Gene had moved on to play for the Giants and was dismissed 4 minutes from time for tripping.

What are you talking about.....🤔

I’ll go for Paul Forber.  Pretty sure he was sent off for assaulting Paul Shaw, Salford’s diminutive but brilliant scrum half. If he wasn’t, he should have been. And I recall several sending offs whilst playing for Salford.

2 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Which resulted in KR idiots in the main stand, surrounded by families, trying to attack Stan and chucking pints and bottles at him...Stan being the joker that he his told us after that he was surprised they could afford to waste pints coming from East Hull 😂

I remember KR playing Cas at Wheldon Road, around about 1989 - 1990. KR turned up without their kit and had to borrow the Cas away strip to play in. There was a big dust up and the ref sent both teams to the changing rooms for 10  minutes to calm down. I can't remember if anyone actually got sent off, but it was an ill tempered game, however at one point in between fists flying an actual game of rugby broke out

The absolute gold for this thread would be someone sent off in his last match for team A v team B, then sent off in his first match for team B v team A.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

For some reason I initially considered Paul Woods but, thankfully, can't ever recall him playing against Hull FC.

Although I did attend the old Craven Park for England v Wales around 30 odd years ago when Woodsy got himself sent off for clotheslining Steve Evans.

Sadly, both players are no longer with us.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I'm think Tim Street is a good candidate for and against Oldham.... at least a sin binning....

Can't really remember though.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Not quite in the category, but I remember Michael Eager getting a red card at Cas while playing for Warrington in 1998 for a bad high shot. Cas then announced his signing a week or two later: had obviously liked what they saw.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

I'd be surprised if Alex Murphy didn't fit into this category, nor Kelvim Skerrit but I have no data. 

Whose antics at Wheeldon Road inspired Mick Morgan to provide the thread title, I believe.

On 10/07/2021 at 09:04, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Before your time I know but I'd put money on Len Casey falling into this category for Hull or Rovers or possibly both, maybe Bradford too.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

23 hours ago, daz39 said:

Which resulted in KR idiots in the main stand, surrounded by families, trying to attack Stan and chucking pints and bottles at him...Stan being the joker that he his told us after that he was surprised they could afford to waste pints coming from East Hull 😂

🤣🤣🤣 I now recall reading about some unsavoury incidents involving beer throwing.

It must have been Carlsberg. 

On 11/07/2021 at 11:42, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

🤣🤣🤣 I now recall reading about some unsavoury incidents involving beer throwing.

It must have been Carlsberg. 

At least it wasn't human urine as we were subject to on our 1st visit to 'new' craven park 🤔

On 11/07/2021 at 12:35, marklaspalmas said:

Fairly sure Andy Currier counts for Fev. Sent off against us for Widnes in a cup tie 1986ish then signed for us and in  his stellar 11 match career got sent off for a "tackle" on Paul Newlove.

Need to check that. 

There may be others....

The title of the thread meant that the first one that came to mind for Fev was Mick Morgan himself...think he got sent off against us for Wakefield and I think he also got sent off playing for us, though I'm not completely sure.

On 11/07/2021 at 12:35, marklaspalmas said:

Fairly sure Andy Currier counts for Fev. Sent off against us for Widnes in a cup tie 1986ish then signed for us and in  his stellar 11 match career got sent off for a "tackle" on Paul Newlove.

Need to check that. 

There may be others....

I think Jimmy Thompson was sent off playing for Bradford against us, and I'm pretty sure he incurred an "early bath" (copyright the 1970s) on a few occasions for us too.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think Jimmy Thompson was sent off playing for Bradford against us, and I'm pretty sure he incurred an "early bath" (copyright the 1970s) on a few occasions for us too.

I did think that one of Jimmy, Vince or Keith would have managed it.

Didn't think of Mick Morgan though

Archived