Countries you’d like to see playing RL

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My history be out here. But wasn't rugby league first played in treviso in the 50s but due to lack of support failed and the clubs turned to union? Or have I got that wrong?

It was played in Italy for about 10 years back then, but skulduggery from well-connected people in another sport* made sure RL didn't get government recognition, so players couldn't get insurance and the whole thing withered away. That, plus the usual threat of life bans for code-switchers.

*bet you can't guess which sport.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It was played in Italy for about 10 years back then, but skulduggery from well-connected people in another sport* made sure RL didn't get government recognition, so players couldn't get insurance and the whole thing withered away. That, plus the usual threat of life bans for code-switchers.

*bet you can't guess which sport.

Kabaddi?

19 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Could you imagine the rivalry between Russia and Ukraine or Serbia and Kosovo?

Would make the “Ashes” rivalry look like a village fete.

Them two games would be worth watching in any sport. 

1 minute ago, moorside roughyed said:

Greece v Turkey would be a tasty fixture too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Absolutely!!! Like I said an instant rivalry in which RL could be built around 👍

On a serious note though RL and these fixtures could be used to replace war and tension like between rival tribes in PNG.

15 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Absolutely!!! Like I said an instant rivalry in which RL could be built around 👍

On a serious note though RL and these fixtures could be used to replace war and tension like between rival tribes in PNG.

Or to make them worse !!! 😬😬

Archived