Countries you’d like to see playing RL

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Try and make things worse?

Well why not, just make sure we have the cameras there !!

Look mate I don`t know about up there, but there isn`t a season goes by down here without a couple of brawls between supporters at League games somewhere or other, an international incident would be whole next level.😉😉 We gotta think big.

I think in the NH Italy, Greece, Turkey and Lebanon are the best bets for competitve international sides with NRL heritage players complimenting domestic development. Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Jamaica and Nigeria as well but with more emphasis on UK based players complimenting their domestic scenes.

France are the most developed in the NH on the domestic front without relying on heritage players they just need some help in taking it to the next level

22 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I think in the NH Italy, Greece, Turkey and Lebanon are the best bets for competitve international sides with NRL heritage players complimenting domestic development. Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Jamaica and Nigeria as well but with more emphasis on UK based players complimenting their domestic scenes.

France are the most developed in the NH on the domestic front without relying on heritage players they just need some help in taking it to the next level

I’d definitely add Serbia to that list of countries.

I’d like to see the Scandinavian, Germanic & Eastern European Countries take up Rugby League. They’re culturally tough warrior like people who I would have expected League’s combative nature to appeal to

A few at random:

N America - Mexico (Always had a soft spot for them come Football WC time, no idea why).

S America - Columbia (same as Mexico)

Asia - Phillipines (Close enough to latch on to the Australian professional system if the backing was ever there, could probably put out a decent team already with heritage players.

Europe - Germany, Russia (Just personal picks if I had to choose).

3 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

A few at random:

N America - Mexico (Always had a soft spot for them come Football WC time, no idea why).

S America - Columbia (same as Mexico)

Asia - Phillipines (Close enough to latch on to the Australian professional system if the backing was ever there, could probably put out a decent team already with heritage players.

Europe - Germany, Russia (Just personal picks if I had to choose).

Hate to be pedantic but it’s Colombia 😉

Dont know why but I always liked Colombia since the italia 90.

6 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Fantastic. I know brazil recently played the Philippines in Sydney but I’m guessing those teams were mostly heritage players?

No, the Brazilian team was mostly Brazilians (students?) living in Australia.  The heritage Filipinos who included a slow fat guy in their pack handled them pretty easily.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

No, the Brazilian team was mostly Brazilians (students?) living in Australia.  The heritage Filipinos who included a slow fat in their pack handled them pretty easily.

As long as they(Brazilian students) enjoyed it the result is secondary.

For a couple of easy (ish) wins I’d look at Wales and South Africa. Already a history of playing RL, and with a bit of resource could have a genuine impact.

otherwise I’d go for China.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I'm obviously biased but Central America as a whole makes sense for me.

All countries have strengths and weaknesses but I feel Central America has a few nice things going for them.

7 nations in the space of 2500km gives you easy access and ready-made rivalries. It's the most densely populated area in the Americas and has 45m+ people. Your money goes a long way.

Soccer isn't the main sport throughout so that's a bonus.

6 of them speak the same language. 

Very working class. 

new rise.jpg

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

I'm obviously biased but Central America as a whole makes sense for me.

All countries have strengths and weaknesses but I feel Central America has a few nice things going for them.

7 nations in the space of 2500km gives you easy access and ready-made rivalries. It's the most densely populated area in the Americas and has 45m+ people. Your money goes a long way.

Soccer isn't the main sport throughout so that's a bonus.

6 of them speak the same language. 

Very working class. 

What’s the main sport of Central America? Baseball? Boxing?

8 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

What’s the main sport of Central America? Baseball? Boxing?

Soccer is the number 1 sport in 5 of the 7 countries and Baseball for Nicaragua and Panama. So there's no complete monopoly.

As an idea about how far money can go: a rookie Baseball player in the pro league in Nicaragua would earn around $150 USD a month.

new rise.jpg

All of them for me. How to do this? We are not a rich sport, so make it as easy as possible for any nation to start playing and develop organically via improved IRL support services to get them up and running, then self sufficient asap. Realise they already do this work, but limited funding must restrict capacity and performance. Hopefully the RLWC will boost their resources.

Archived