Craig Lingards Comments

33 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Again, without trying to get personal, these comments emphasise the deep seated problem we have at the heart of the game.

Of course professional clubs and professional players need to stay financially viable.  But this idea that there is no incentive to win games if you cannot win promotion or you have escaped relegation is just plain wrong.  You win the game because the game is there to be won and your fans want and expect you to see every game as one to win.

As for the joy of winning and the pain of losing.  Last year League 1 football clubs (to be clear, soccer, as there is a debate in another thread) played 46 games in the league plus additional games across several cup competitions.  I know people personally who cared about every single one of those results.  And continued to care when relegation was not a threat and the hope of promotion was lost for another year.

If we have talked ourselves, as a sport, into thinking that individual games don't matter then no wonder there is a malaise surrounding the sport that is clearly visible on these pages. 

It's easy to look at it as a fan, but when you have clubs excessively reliant on the benevolence of an owner, you can't blame people for not wanting to put their hands in their pocket, beyond the bare minumum to survive, unless there is a return to be had. 

That's not to pin the blame on the owners, but on the system. In RL there is very little reward and actually very little risk - there's not much incentive, commercially, to invest to suceed and equally, with the way the league and salary cap is structured, it's also difficult to fail. If you want to encourage people to do more than just 'keep the lights on', you need to increase the reward. 

You don't have to like that attitude but if the "Corinthian spirit" thing is what is important to you, there's the amateur game to enjoy.  

Clubs need to plan for next season and the fair point he is making is that without knowing what central monies the clubs will receive, it is very hard to plan. 

However, a players market value depends on the market and if TV money is vastly reduced, contracts will have to be cut unless you have a rich backer willing to fund the gap. 

I think Craig Lingard is absolutely spot on.Clubs and indeed players can’t make plans for next year because of this ongoing uncertainty regarding funding. And why would a player at say a mid table Championship club who for the sake of argument is on about £15K per season basic(plus bonuses etc) as a part time player put his neck on the line if he was told by his club sorry but we can now only afford to pay you say £8K per season plus bonuses?

He would hopefully turn around and say No thank you,or other words to that effect that would not be published here.

I have said many times here where is the clarity and direction from both clubs and the administrators of this sport when it is blatantly bloody obvious that the game is at a very important crossroads in it’s history?

And I have said many times that the loss of central funding,or if they are”lucky”(I use the term loosely)see a huge reduction in central funding,which either way will ruin a lot of clubs outside of Super League. And in fact on my side of the hill,the sunny side of the hill(sorry Yorkies 🤣) I can only think of ONE club that is not in the Super League(currently)who possibly could withstand the loss or substantial loss of central funding and that is Widnes who I think get good crowds and hopefully for their sake run the club better now after their last brush with financial strife.

And not every player outside of Super League this side of the hill will be able to join Widnes.

I think it is high time that more people like Craig Lingard speak out.

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

And why would a player at say a mid table Championship club who for the sake of argument is on about £15K per season basic(plus bonuses etc) as a part time player put his neck on the line if he was told by his club sorry but we can now only afford to pay you say £8K per season plus bonuses?

What else are they going to do? Go and play amateur for nothing?

16 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Due to the strength of league 1 this year,let's propose 4 up 4 down this will keep the championship boys on their toes. 

you mat be saying this tongue-in-cheek but it would certainly provide incentive to both leagues. The financial reward comes from which league your in and what you do to attract increased gate receipts and sponsorship/commercial income.  Irrespective of any handout from a central body.

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Also saying that you have nothing to play for is bizarre. You are playing in RFL champ to get into playoffs for SL. That´s the prize. You shouldn´t get more money for finishing higher, it just creates a matthews effect. You should get more money because winning games and having something to play for increases crowds and hospitality. 

So say Batley who finish in the top 6 along with Fax and bulls all get the same money for 2022 as Oldham or Swinton who failed to stay in the championship is the best way to go... Oldham who have spent more money than Batley and Fax have struggled in 2021 despite over spending 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Every club should get the same central funding at start of season. Sadly i think all clubs will get zero next year.  

Well, that's certainly one way to ensure everyone gets the same funding!

On 13/07/2021 at 14:16, ShropshireBull said:

I also think the RFL handing out money based on finished positions created a weird system where instead of the RFL saving money for infrastructure they were essentiually subsidising clubs budgets with very little to show for it. 

Clubs should absolutely know by now though , even if that number is nothing they should know. 

The idea behind the different central funding was to support the 8s structure , making it easier for the Championship clubs to compete , without that , it doesn't work unless you are David Argyle 

So what will happen now is the chance of any club making up the gap and managing to stay in SL once you've won the Championship GF has diminished even more , maybe Toulouse are the one club who can make up the difference due in part to the type of support local government can give to clubs on the continent , something we don't see here 

Toulouse up then bolt the door anybody ?

Archived