Rugby League fans watching football

Will you be watching the England soccer team tonight   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching the England soccer team tonight

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/21 at 23:01

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

There is a thread running devoted to this on AOB along with a 7 option poll. Please visit if you care to.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/362585-sunday-8pm-alternative-viewing-poll-added/

But posting it in the other sports forum wouldn’t give a true reflection of RL fans attitudes, as that is visited by RLfans with an interest in other sports.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

But posting it in the other sports forum wouldn’t give a true reflection of RL fans attitudes, as that is obviously visited by RLfans with an interest in other sports. Feel free not to post a reply or even click on posts if you have no interest in them.

You misunderstand, I'm glad you've posted this thread,  I was thinking of doing it myself. The thread on AOB has been running for a few days, I just wanted to draw attention to it, sorry if that for some reason disturbs you.

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

You misunderstand, I'm glad you've posted this thread,  I was thinking of doing it myself. The thread on AOB has been running for a few days, I just wanted to draw attention to it, sorry if that for some reason disturbs you.

Ok bit of a misunderstanding, edited my previous post. 

What I find bizarre is that when you say you are not interested in the football, you are told that it’s England and you should support your country’s team. When I ask them if they will be supporting England in the RLWorld Cup later this year, I usually get a blank look in response.

54 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

I would watch England at any sport. Although when it is Rugby Union it’s definitely a struggle. 

A struggle!!! I find it very, very easy to not watch it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Kings Cross Station had to be closed because soccer idiots were setting off flairs causing the fire alarm systems to kick in.

Leicester Square is a battle zone with beer bottles being flung about the place.

Soccer fans are a disgrace.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I grew up a die hard football fan, and a regular at all West Ham games, until my early 20’s, by which point I started to lose interest in Football for a number of reasons, by this point I was also a die hard RL fan.

I have literally zero interest in Football now, but watched the Germany game (purely due to all the misery losing to them had caused me in the past), and even though I honestly don’t really care about the result of the final I will be watching and cheering England on, hoping they can win it.

I know plenty of people who will take great enjoyment from them winning; friends, family, colleagues, so for that reason I’m all in tonight. 

Dreading the tabloid response to such a result though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I am disappointed by how the word 'football' has been hijacked in recent years, in this country, to mean 'soccer'.  That is reflected in the title of this thread and in many comments above, though hats off to those like Padge who use 'soccer'.

I watched some football on the TV this afternoon.  It was Wigan -v- Huddersfield.  Later, I may watch some more football I recorded yesterday; it was Tipperary -v- Kerry, in, if I recall correctly, the Munster Senior Football Championship.

By definition, rugby league fans watch football, as do most GAA fans, followers of the AFL, America's NFL and even those who are attracted to the Dark Side!

27 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

English ones anyway.

Some fans have learned how to enjoy themselves and behave, the Scottish for example, who had a terrible reputation in years gone by but are now welcomed with open arms.

4 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

I would watch England at any sport. Although when it is Rugby Union it’s definitely a struggle. 

I'm English but support Wales in every sport. 

Before anyone says it, England cricket is, by official name, England and Wales. 

53 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I am disappointed by how the word 'football' has been hijacked in recent years, in this country, to mean 'soccer'.  That is reflected in the title of this thread and in many comments above, though hats off to those like Padge who use 'soccer'.

I watched some football on the TV this afternoon.  It was Wigan -v- Huddersfield.  Later, I may watch some more football I recorded yesterday; it was Tipperary -v- Kerry, in, if I recall correctly, the Munster Senior Football Championship.

By definition, rugby league fans watch football, as do most GAA fans, followers of the AFL, America's NFL and even those who are attracted to the Dark Side!

Sky Sports nearly always call it soccer. 

Soccer AM was a massive hit for them. 

I find it amusing that people get wound up by it. The biggest sport on the planet with a massive self-esteem issue.

54 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Football in England is soccer to over 99.9% of the population. Say Footie on the East Coast of Australia it’ll be Rugby League, say it on the West Coast and it’ll be Aussie Rules, say it in the USA and it’ll be NFL.

Archived