Rugby League fans watching football

Will you be watching the England soccer team tonight   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching the England soccer team tonight

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/21 at 23:01

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Damien said:

@The Frying Scotsman What do you find funny?

I can't answer this myself but I can add to the discussion if it helps?

Recently, Rangers have had a very bitter relationship with the Scottish FA including being relegated to division 3. This has resulted in a lot of Rangers fans losing support for the national side.

Sometimes at the games the Rangers players are jeered which they don't like also. 

I'm not an expert on the old firm, but i have read articles in the newspapers about this and thought it may be helpful.

7 minutes ago, Niels said:

I can't answer this myself but I can add to the discussion if it helps?

Recently, Rangers have had a very bitter relationship with the Scottish FA including being relegated to division 3. This has resulted in a lot of Rangers fans losing support for the national side.

Sometimes at the games the Rangers players are jeered which they don't like also. 

I'm not an expert on the old firm, but i have read articles in the newspapers about this and thought it may be helpful.

I know but they still make up the largest proportion of the tartan army, that is a fact. I just posted a tweet from 2019 from the marketing person at the SFA confirming that. I'm not sure how much more definitive you can get.

Just now, Damien said:

I know but they still make up the largest proportion of the tartan army, that is a fact. I just posted a tweet from 2019 from the marketing person at the SFA confirming that. I'm not sure how much more definitive you can get.

Moving the goalposts yourself Damien 🙂

That's not what you said.

18 minutes ago, Niels said:

Liquidated, Niels. Not relegated.

The new club was permitted to join the league in Div 3. 

2 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Liquidated, Niels. Not relegated.

The new club was permitted to join the league in Div 3. 

Sorry, I am making mistakes tonight. 

Must be after the excitement of the football and it not coming home again😏

9 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The poll is looking like roughly 2/3 of Rugby League fans are watching the Euro Final with 1/3 not watching.

I suspect when the figures are in that will broadly mirror the whole country.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Padge said:

Rugby players still get called footballers in Wigan and though the numbers may be dwindling it is not uncommon to be asked are you going to or have you been to the football (rugby).

Must be a Wigan thing , I live 6 miles away and football is football , rugby is rugby , I went to school in Hindley with essentially all Wiganers , and they never called Rugby football , they called it rugby 

44 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Must be a Wigan thing , I live 6 miles away and football is football , rugby is rugby , I went to school in Hindley with essentially all Wiganers , and they never called Rugby football , they called it rugby 

Growing up in the Leeds area, my grandad's generation called RL 'football'. It was obviously a gradual thing, but I 'd guess it stopped being mainstream during the 70s.

The way that union seems to be monopolising the word rugby now is quite reminiscent of association football's monopolisation of football. 

My grandad continued to call RL 'football' his whole life - in our heartland areas as the dominant code, that is what football meant to his generation. Likewise, unless context requires clarification, I refer to RL as simply rugby.

You don't hear many people refer to RL as football around here any more, but (as with rugby) as long a the context makes it clear what is being discussed, there shouldn't be any problem with the term.

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Right but no kid dreams of one day I will play amateur do they. 

Some people just love playing the game, where do you think professional players come from? Usually through junior clubs who are shock horror amateur clubs. Without the amateur game there will be no professional game.

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I am aware of how player pathways work thank you.  But if there is no exposure and then belief you could make it, you dont get people into that funnel in the first place to be the players coaches or refs of the future. 

In my experience most people start playing for enjoyment the thought of making it comes later as they develop 

I really can’t be bothered getting into some minutiae about terminology and rubbish like that. I watched the football last night, I’m a season ticket holder at a football club and I know plenty who are both season ticket holders at Saints and a football club.

I watched the game last night and most of the tournament - although a lot of the games were 'background' to me doing other things.

I wanted England to win while watching with several Italians.

I must admit though, while I still enjoy international sport my passion for England actually winning has fallen away massively.  I used to be a far more vocal England fan and while I would still prefer England to win than not, 5 minutes after the game ending last night I was not bothered.  I don't know what the underlying cause is... actually I probably could name a few reasons but that would take us into the politics forum.

I still feel the nerves and passion of an England game in Rugby League... especially the Aussies (however, we don't get to experience that very much any more).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Among what sort of generation?

Google "Wigan Football" and then find me one reference to the Rugby League team. Every response I can see refers to Wigan Athletic (or some kind of amateur football). 

I don't know how good you are at doing a proper google search but I can bring up quite a few references.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Countdown lexicographer Susie Dent often talks of the fluidity of language and semantics are decided by usage in the long term not the other way round. There isn't a word fixed in all time for its meaning whereby if enough people use it differently it's wrong. If enough people use a word to mean something eventually it becomes that meaning . Football means association football in the whole of Sth America,  Europe except Ireland,  Asia,  Africa Central America. The exceptions are Nth America,  Australasia,  and er..the M62 towns. So 90% of the world use football meaning soccer so by the popular usage giving meaning idea Football means soccer. If you need to differentiate then it's Rugby League Football or Aussie Rules Football,  just as it's Cricket World Cup, Rugby League World Cup but just THE World Cup for soccer. Actually I'm not sure it's beneficial RL being confused with football. RL needs it's own moniker,  I would use Rugby 13's.

It's a square vs rectangle.

It's just that a lot of the world only has squares, and no other rectangles, so they can call their squares "rectangle" and there's no confusion.

All soccer is football,  but not all football is soccer.

Archived