Match thread: 1895 Cup final at Wembley. Featherstone v York Saturday 17th July

marklaspalmas

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Adam B said:

No hard feelings at all my friend, and agreed re tomorrow, which now looks a little more positive (pun intended) in view of the squad we've named. Interesting to see Welham is suddenly available again, just in time for a run out at Wembley, unless he's one of our usual named decoys....... 

Our desperation to hear of Welham's availability / whereabouts shows how dire the injury situation is given that we'd written him off recently and what with rumours of him leaving the club etc.  That said - due to his time away I'm not convinced he should be coming straight back in - in place of some of the younger lads.

Anyway I would miss the weekly 'Where's Welly' thing........

29 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Our desperation to hear of Welham's availability / whereabouts shows how dire the injury situation is given that we'd written him off recently and what with rumours of him leaving the club etc.  That said - due to his time away I'm not convinced he should be coming straight back in - in place of some of the younger lads.

Anyway I would miss the weekly 'Where's Welly' thing........

There's not one youngster I'd drop to accommodate him. Given the way they've all stepped up in the past few months (in more important games) they all deserve to play at Wembley ahead of him.

I'd imagine if he is fit and gets a shirt it'll only be because we're short of bodies in the backs and player logistics mean we simply can't line up properly without him.

6 hours ago, Adam B said:

There's not one youngster I'd drop to accommodate him.

7 hours ago, RobLambert said:

I'm not convinced he should be coming straight back in - in place of some of the younger lads......

REALLY would you say the same if it was chizzy coming back after a long injury don't think so any way Kris will only  be replacing JD who played centre against widnes JD who we will need to play in the forwards today 

any way back to team selection yesterday I posted Jacob D or Harvey S on wing talking to grandson last night he SAID recognised winger Jacob on wing especially as Harvey got found out with widnes second try  

so where does that leave Harvey a player who webbo likes

sub at dewsbury when we had more than enough backs to fill the whole of the albert hall

So how about this scenario 

Harvey S alongside Nu B in the halves Chizzy at  FB and Craig H on the wing  

another interesting combination one I think could work a treat

13 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Joe Summers who is returning from a much longer injury absence and indeed has never played for the club.

That's true PH but they must have seen something in training to put him in last two lists so I would like him on the bench think we need as many forwards as possible looking at york squad that's where their strength lies  especially as york fans tipping washbrook to play 6 and are scratching their heads over the possible back line

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's a very makeshift team. Hopefully we can get the job done.

That's true PH but lets not forget Chizzy NU B Craig H and Gaz G who are all scoring for fun are all lined up

Well played boys! A few nervy moments and for some reason we struggled mightily covering kicks but think that was a much more comprehensive win than the final score suggests. 

I know to most outsiders it will look like a straightforward win for the favourites but that's some amount of adversity we faced, an entire starting 13 ruled out, our coach unable to attend due to Covid, practically no training sessions for 2 weeks and reportedly some very difficult circumstances for our captain. 

A dream second pro appearance for Doyle whose tries were brilliantly taken. Thought JD and Field were outstanding, Ferres was good, Chissy and Hall (bar that one bad error) all class.

We missed our hookers badly but dug in and got the job done. Well done to York who also had players missing and had a dig, Lewis clearly their standout threat. UTR.

Well played Featherstone both teams had covid issues but still produced a entertaining game which was a fantastic advert for championship rugby.

You just had the extra class to get you through but respect to both sides as many players playing out of position in red hot conditions.

All the best for the rest of the season and your push for super league.

I think FEV made it a more exciting game by giving away some sloppy  tries gale getting out jumped by a midget compared to him Craigs knock on and Bretts  looped pass when we had a 3 to 1 overlap for interception and don't get me started on brinning Robert Hicks an accident waiting to happen don't you just love him but credit where credits due York played out the full 80 and  turned it into a great watch for the neutrals

Having said that watching on TV to me it always looked like we could shift up another gear if needed

22 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Great win, but hopefully we'll have players back for next week.

Surely only Halton of the Covid brigade. 10 days' self isolation plus 7-day return to play protocol presumably means the ones who tested positive this week will definitely miss Bradford, and maybe Toulouse though that will depend on when this week the positive tests took place, hopefully they were Tuesday-ish.

Still, we can worry about that later, time to enjoy today's win right now.

6 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

The countries rules change on monday regarding isolation periods as well as everything else so might see some more back than expected 

If you have tested positive its still ten days' self isolation though isn't it? Plus presumably the 7-day return to play protocol, unless that's been ditched?

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If you have tested positive its still ten days' self isolation though isn't it? Plus presumably the 7-day return to play protocol, unless that's been ditched?

could anybody tell me why we have this 7 day return to play protocol when my son in law didn't have one for work straight back after 10 days

Just now, POR said:

could anybody tell me why we have this 7 day return to play protocol when my son in law didn't have one for work straight back after 10 days

Seems crazy, wouldn't it be better to test the player after 10 days, if negative then cleared to play?.

Awesome effort from all involved today- thought Davies was immense, Ferres had arguably his best game in a Fev shirt and Chizzy, Nu and Hall were a class above. 

so so proud of everyone of them and currently basking in an after victory glow - helped along by a few pints of local ale!

one thing I did notice was Welham was water boy today - and seemed to be running ok, so maybe we might see him soon?

Archived