Match thread: 1895 Cup final at Wembley. Featherstone v York Saturday 17th July

marklaspalmas

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the dust has settled Iv'e got two things to take out of the cup final first once again disappointed with the RFL treating the championship as second class citizens NO VIDEO REF  in a cup final when quite clearly one was needed for one of the tries It's not like they would have to bring someone in  for the game they were already there  sat in the stands waiting for the CC final

The second Joe summers who said when we signed him “I’m really excited to have signed for Featherstone, I’m hoping to prove myself in the first team and secure my spot week in, week out. 

Unfortunately a foot injury kept him out for months until he finally made his debut and not any old debut a debut in a cup final at wembley 

That's what rugby league DREAMS are made of  and long may they continue

I think with Jones and/or Parata playing, it would have been a different game. Our go forward from dummy half would have had York constantly on the back foot. Along with the speed and accuracy of their passing off the floor. 

You can only play 17, but spare a thought for all these guys who missed out on a possible Wembley experience. Decent team, this.. all missing yesterday.

Will Dagger
Ben Blackmore
Kris Welham
Frankie Halton
Thomas Minns
Tom Holmes
Connor Jones
Junior Moors
Dean Parata
Dale Ferguson
Brad Day
Jimmy Beckett
Jack Bussey

At the start of the year when I looked at our squad I thought that there were at least four or five who would never get a game for us and would end up on loan at some other Championship or League 1 team.

Those guys included Doyle, Sweeting, Spence, McConnell, and Summers. Even Callum Field I thought might only get the odd game here and there against the weaker teams.

Yet we've won at Wembley with all six of those guys playing. Seems a long time since early in the season when the likes of Davies and Cooper couldn't get in the 17!

As always, wise words in summarising the squad and its make up TPH.

Well done MC and the team in putting this together. I'm hoping Ian Hardman can try with the management team to keep as much of this squad together as possible.

I wasn't too enamoured with some late signings like Koppy and Moors but they have been colossal for us and not just literally.

Hard core players such as Locky, Hardo and JD just keep churning out the performances giving everything each game. Can't ask for more than that.

Our 2 hookers have been immense.

Chizzy, Hall, Homes and Nu are quality.

Calum and McConnell have improved so much that they are now confirmed first teamers and wild card Doyle, well..

Apologies for not naming everyone such as potential Player of the Year  Gaz Gale.

No wonder we're so good lol.

But don't listen to me Fev, keep those feet firmly on the ground. The business end of the season is coming.

Just got back. Enjoyable game Rovers fans were immense, and the team groundout a good win in the conditions and in the end a comfortable enough win. Both hookers missing Holmes & Moors but the kids stood up and did they enjoy it ..you bet it will stay with them for the rest of there lives. 

On 16/07/2021 at 14:44, Blind side johnny said:

Hospitals filling with the under 50's, many of whom are on ventilators, but please travel along on your own sweet way.

I have several close relatives that are clinical practitioners. Also if you look at national data it will illustrate that what you have put there is inaccurate  scaremongering bull s. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Vause said:

I have several close relatives that are clinical practitioners. Also if you look at national data it will illustrate that what you have put there is inaccurate  scaremongering bull s. 

I have, it isn't.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Right back to Rugby League.How many who were at the match would have given Hall the best player award.He played well but i had a couple of others in front of him.Chiss'y for the opening try and drop goal which gave us that cushion.John Davies for his efforts on the left and it may have been ok to give it to Doyle for his two tries which for a young player who has only played the odd game was outstanding in a Wembley final.i know he is from Cas but he was wearing a Fev shirt so on the day he was our player.i usually find fault with Ferres but i thought he had a good game until that floated pass for Whiteleys interception.A decent pass would have been another try for us as we had four on two.Brilliant day out and i have to thank my daughter for driving.She is nervous of driving ln places or  on roads she dosn't know even not picking us up but meeting just off the M1.So to drive from the Wembley car park to the Mi was a real trial for her but she passed with flying colours.About 25 years since she stopped coming to Rovers games with me but yesterday brought back some old memories.

2 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

Porters? 

10 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Porters? 

Rugby League please we need an outlet from the last 18 months.We should thank our blessings we have not had to live through 2 World Wars.My uncle was killed in Norway after being called up just after Wakey offered to sign him.Rugby League gives me a purpose and always has since i was 8 years old.And remember the words of an old irish comedian.He always signed off saying live every day as if it was your last because one day it will be.I may post some tripe but you will miss me when i have gone.

14 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Right back to Rugby League.How many who were at the match would have given Hall the best player award.He played well but i had a couple of others in front of him.Chiss'y for the opening try and drop goal which gave us that cushion.John Davies for his efforts on the left and it may have been ok to give it to Doyle for his two tries which for a young player who has only played the odd game was outstanding in a Wembley final.i know he is from Cas but he was wearing a Fev shirt so on the day he was our player.i usually find fault with Ferres but i thought he had a good game until that floated pass for Whiteleys interception.A decent pass would have been another try for us as we had four on two.Brilliant day out and i have to thank my daughter for driving.She is nervous of driving ln places or  on roads she dosn't know even not picking us up but meeting just off the M1.So to drive from the Wembley car park to the Mi was a real trial for her but she passed with flying colours.About 25 years since she stopped coming to Rovers games with me but yesterday brought back some old memories.

Having just watched the match back, I can definitely see why Hall was chosen as MoM. He was involved in everything good that we did, and apart from the one mistake which led to their try was solid at the back. Having said that, I wouldn't have complained if it had gone to any of the three you mentioned.

It's weird because when Halls picture came up on scoreboard as the man of the match I was surprised then when I watched it all back he was the obvious choice though I gave it to Davies. When watching live you don't fit each section of play together in your mind and Davies's constant probes stood out more at the time. I also recalled saying Brown was quieter then watching it back he was a right influence. Trouble is you are watching nervously at the time and can't enjoy it properly till you watch it over again. And when the media started calling it a classic it certainly was on second viewing. Well done to all the players from both sides.

16 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

It's weird because when Halls picture came up on scoreboard as the man of the match I was surprised then when I watched it all back he was the obvious choice though I gave it to Davies. When watching live you don't fit each section of play together in your mind and Davies's constant probes stood out more at the time. I also recalled saying Brown was quieter then watching it back he was a right influence. Trouble is you are watching nervously at the time and can't enjoy it properly till you watch it over again. And when the media started calling it a classic it certainly was on second viewing. Well done to all the players from both sides.

Yes it's amazing how often I feel like this too when I watch the game back for a second time. The obvious big plays stick in your mind, but not necessarily the smaller things that are just as important to the outcome.

24 minutes ago, POR said:

Out of curiosity like saints do we get any prize money for winning a final?

No just 25% discount on decking for the garden or static caravan

Get to choose the colour as well

10 hours ago, POR said:

Out of curiosity like saints do we get any prize money for winning a final?

Seems likely, 

"With the Super League clubs agreeing to contribute to a prize money fund for this competition" 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/23687/betfred-championship-and-league-1,-and-ab-sundecks-1895-cup-|-update

15 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Seems likely, 

"With the Super League clubs agreeing to contribute to a prize money fund for this competition" 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/23687/betfred-championship-and-league-1,-and-ab-sundecks-1895-cup-|-update

Interesting  LTS but the championship getting anything from the SL is like getting blood from a stone so can't wait to see what amount of generosity  comes FEV's way😀

3 hours ago, POR said:

Interesting  LTS but the championship getting anything from the SL is like getting blood from a stone so can't wait to see what amount of generosity  comes FEV's way😀

If AB Sundecks are sponsoring the comp. Should'nt they be providing some prize money.Or are they just getting free advertising.

3 hours ago, POR said:

Can't see anything about the amount anywhere

19 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

If AB Sundecks are sponsoring the comp. Should'nt they be providing some prize money.Or are they just getting free advertising.

Pretty sure  they put up the prize money in 2019, but no idea what their sponsorship involves this. 

On 19/07/2021 at 13:33, J Phil Loxton said:

This is exactly the same thoughts I had before and after watching it back

On 19/07/2021 at 13:33, J Phil Loxton said:

I also recalled saying Brown was quieter then watching it back he was a right influence. Trouble is you are watching nervously at the time and can't enjoy it properly till you watch it over again.

It wasn't until I watched it back that I noticed where Brown came from for his try. He was the first receiver on the right hand side of the field, and as the ball spun across to Davies at left centre, instead of dropping back to his normal position Nu took the decision to run up the middle of the field, even though nothing really looked on when Davies got the ball. It was one of those 1% effort plays which really paid off because when Davies splattered his opponent and got in the clear Nu was in the perfect position to make himself available for the decisive pass.

Archived