Fri 16 Jul: SL: Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos KO 19:15 (TV)

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/07/21 at 19:15

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Then they lose somebody else , it's RL , rarely does any team have a full squad to call on , no excuses 

Not an excuse, just saying if other players had been available the pack would have been bigger and potentially more competitive in the 2nd half.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Spotty Herbert said:

The player that was most missed was Oledski, along with Tetevano. With those two added to this pack it looks so much stronger. Not to mention Rhyse Martin.

Yes what I mean was Gannon was the player who we expected to play but didn't. Obviously Oledzki and Tetevano would have had a material impact but they were not in the squad.

Whilst some excellent attacking rugby by Catalan Leeds have really helped them in the 2nd half.

Within minutes of the restart not playing the ball properly/knockon's and stupid 6 against... giving Catalan an easy way into the 2nd half which they take... plus awful field kicking by Gale... all helped Catalan take charge.

Whilst at times have to applaud Catalan Leeds players must really look at how they concentrated and focused plus such sloppy field kicking.

Then Leeds try for short kick-off starts twice and each time not a player anywhere the where the ball goes for an easy 40yard start for Catalan.

As I say Catalan lovely to watch some excellent play but Leeds 2nd half have loads of questions... even if youngsters playing as it was some basic skills letting them down.

On 12/07/2021 at 13:31, John Drake said:

Discuss Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos here.

I wouldn't let this Rhinos outfit take my dog for a walk.

51 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is what you said about Leigh on the 25th of May.

"As we've pointed out , 6 different HB combinations in 7 games , 4 different Full backs , struggling for props , all due to injuries , even last time we brought in Mortimer and Langi for the run in , both were injured after 2 games , it's what happens to us every time we get a shot at SL "

A bit different than being a couple of props down 

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A bit different than being a couple of props down 

So when you said no excuses, what you actually meant was excuses in some circumstances?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Yes what I mean was Gannon was the player who we expected to play but didn't. Obviously Oledzki and Tetevano would have had a material impact but they were not in the squad.

Irrespective, Catalans had good line speed and made ground in the tackle and seem to get up and PLB quickly - and to me they often had nifty feet.

Not sure what to say about Leeds, players missing. They looked anonymous, although I only saw 2nd half.

Quite a lot is being said in this thread about Leeds having players missing.  That's true and the likes of Oledski would possibly have helped.  However, to set the record straight, Les Dracs had five matchday-17 regulars missing - Bousquet, Baitieri, J Tomkins, Maloney and McIlorum.

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Catalans looking likely to win the LLS but can they win on a soggy Saturday in October?

Playoffs are always different especially when it comes to the final as we have seen in the past . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Leeds really missed England International Mikolaj Oledski, New Zealand International Zane Tetevano, PNG International Rhyse Martin, Fijian International King Vuniyayawa and Bodene Thompson from their pack especially in the 2nd half. The starting 13 were more than a match for Catalans going in well ahead at half time, we just didn’t have enough big men on the bench to rotate them with.

Still the only side to beat Leeds in last 2 months are the side at the top of the table, Leeds will make the playoffs and from there anything can happen.

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

So when you said no excuses, what you actually meant was excuses in some circumstances?

Yes , in some circumstances , like in losing a whole forward line , most of your half backs and having to play 3 hookers for several games as I outlined , and having a couple of props out , who have been replaced with other props , which is just a regular RL season situation 

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Catalans looking likely to win the LLS but can they win on a soggy Saturday in October?

I think with this squad they can. Less of the usual ex-NRL prima donna's etc means I think they care more. Morgue getting better every game and Kasiano's bench batterings are unbelievable - though I think his 'great hands for a giant' plaudits are overrated. 

3-1 to win the GF at the bookies is a great price

27 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , in some circumstances , like in losing a whole forward line , most of your half backs and having to play 3 hookers for several games as I outlined , and having a couple of props out , who have been replaced with other props , which is just a regular RL season situation 

But your first post said (quote) "Then they lose somebody else , it's RL , rarely does any team have a full squad to call on , no excuses".

So you weren't referring to a team having a couple of props out, you were also referring to having those replacements out as well.

You have called out a poster for making excuses about injury while also using injuries to make excuses yourself.  Seems a tad hypocritical to me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But your first post said (quote) "Then they lose somebody else , it's RL , rarely does any team have a full squad to call on , no excuses".

So you weren't referring to a team having a couple of props out, you were also referring to having those replacements out as well.

You have called out a poster for making excuses about injury while also using injuries to make excuses yourself.  Seems a tad hypocritical to me.

Indeed , it shows my lack of knowledge of the Leeds squad , although it would seem Mr Agar agrees with me , no excuses , at least with their academy they've been able to actually put together a realistic training schedule , unlike Leigh when the post you highlighted was made , not easy with only 17/18 players 

But no worries , feel free to feel smug for catching me out , hope it makes your day 👍

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds really missed England International Mikolaj Oledski, New Zealand International Zane Tetevano, PNG International Rhyse Martin, Fijian International King Vuniyayawa and Bodene Thompson from their pack especially in the 2nd half. The starting 13 were more than a match for Catalans going in well ahead at half time, we just didn’t have enough big men on the bench to rotate them with.

Still the only side to beat Leeds in last 2 months are the side at the top of the table, Leeds will make the playoffs and from there anything can happen.

This is a fair point, but Catalan made a lot of ground with the ball in hand.  Leeds seem pretty useless at stopping it.  Catalan if allowed to get a roll on are very dangerous.  I noticed that Leeds centers were anonymous.  I don't see Hurrell (nice bloke that he is) getting a new contract.

In an aside Agar was scathing with his players...  Does this mean he has lost the dressing room? I think not.   I think many players (not just Leeds) are not just clever enough.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

This is a fair point, but Catalan made a lot of ground with the ball in hand.  Leeds seem pretty useless at stopping it.  Catalan if allowed to get a roll on are very dangerous.  I noticed that Leeds centers were anonymous.  I don't see Hurrell (nice bloke that he is) getting a new contract.

In an aside Agar was scathing with his players...  Does this mean he has lost the dressing room? I think not.   I think many players (not just Leeds) are not just clever enough.

Did you watch the first half? Hurrell was causing Catalans all sorts of issues and pulled off a try saving tackle? Newman was also playing his first game back after an horrific potentially career ending injury, he did fine.

We simply couldn’t handle Catalans in the second half, not many teams can when they get a roll on. We didn’t have a prop on the Bench and simply ran out of steam.

Archived