Sat 17 Jul: 1895 Cup Final: Featherstone Rovers v York City Knights KO 12:00 (BBC Sport)

Who will win?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Featherstone Rovers by 13 points or more
    • Featherstone Rovers by 7 to 12 points
    • Featherstone Rovers by 1 to 6 points
    • York City Knights by 1 to 6 points
    • York City Knights by 7 to 12 points
    • York City Knights by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/07/21 at 11:30

41 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Really pleased with the victory after all the issues through the week. Well done to York for never throwing in the towel. I am sure it was a fine game for all neutrals watching.

As a neutral, I LOVED IT!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Well done Fev and York 👏👍

It's a huge 90k stadium, must have been about 10k minimum in for the 1895, maybe only 1 or 2k neutrals. I think half the Fev fans left after they lifted Cup. Then 42k in for CC, about 6k of which was in for 1st game. (Quite a gap between 1 game finishing and next game starting.) I've been to Summer Bashes but only stayed for Fev Game, stayed for both today but two is certainly max for me, don't know how ppl can watch 3 live games on same day at Magic Weekend and Summer Bash. 

The 1895 Cup final was the third RL game I watched today. I decided to lie in and not watch North Queensland Cowboy v Sydney Roosters, because of the KO time.

Work on your stamina. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The 1895 Cup final was the third RL game I watched today. I decided to lie in and not watch North Queensland Cowboy v Sydney Roosters, because of the KO time.

Work on your stamina. :kolobok_wink:

Fair 1, I mean live at the stadium, I reckon I could squeeze a live TV game in as a 3rd 😂

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

As a neutral, I LOVED IT!

As a  neutral in the stadium (club Wembley 😁 ) it was a good game and considering the numbers in such a huge bowl they generated a good noisy atmosphere.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1895 cup is one of the rare wins for the sport recently. Really good comp, 4 proper rounds and a final that meant a lot to players and fans. I expect it to be scrapped next year…

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

As A FEV fan I thought we all so a great game of rugby yesterday especially for the neutrals  helped by FEV letting in some uncharacteristic sloppy tries  and York bringing their A game to the final but I thought we were always in control and could shift up a gear when needed 12-10 and 22-22 comes to mind

BUT the best story to come out of yestedays game is Joe summers who said when we signed him “I’m really excited to have signed for Featherstone, I’m hoping to prove myself in the first team and secure my spot week in, week out. Unfortunately a foot injury kept him out for months until he finally made his debut and not just  any old debut a debut in a cup final at wembley 

That's what rugby league DREAMS are made of  and long may they continue

Good game and really enjoyed it. Seemed like 90% of the Fev and York fans left after their game though. That or maybe the dispersed to their correct seats?

29 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Good game and really enjoyed it. Seemed like 90% of the Fev and York fans left after their game though. That or maybe the dispersed to their correct seats?

We left at half time when Cas were leading 12-6 but always thought Saints would win they made too many mistakes in the first half due to good Cas defence.Glad our game was not too big a score difference because York showed real grit to keep coming back.All in all a great day out and a match that gives credit to Championship R.L.

46 minutes ago, Leonard said:

A lot of York fans stayed for the challenge cup final,but just moved seats,but looked like all the Fev fans disappeared from the stadium,but you would have to ask the Fev fans,great day for both team's and a good game to watch

Excellent game of attacking, heads-up rugby.

You get the feeling the 1895 Cup is a winner and will become a fixture of the game because the clubs (and hopefully NCL clubs in future) have embraced it as a realistic dream of Wembley and silverware.

It certainly meant a lot to the players. 👍

It's great that so many neutrals appeared to enjoy the game. I was worried beforehand that it might be a poor advert for Championship RL with so many players from both sides missing.

York were lacking Matty Marsh, Liam Salter, Ryan Atkins, Brendan O'Hagan, Riley Dean, Morgan Smith, Jordan Baldwinson, James Green, and Joe Porter. Most of those would have been in the starting 17. That's a significant chunk of talent.

Fev were basically missing an entire team:

Will Dagger (loanee)
Ben Blackmore
Kris Welham
Frankie Halton
Thomas Minns
Tom Holmes
Connor Jones
Junior Moors
Dean Parata
Dale Ferguson
Brad Day
Jimmy Beckett
Jack Bussey

So fair play to both teams for producing such an absorbing game.

We spoke to a few Fev fans at Kings Cross after the game, most went to the pub to celebrate the win. Most York fans stayed or moved seats. Quite a few in the neutral section too. 

Good game anyway. I hope the 1895 cup continues, it’s not a bad competition and gives so many players hope of a big day out. I’m always worried when it’s a small cup (See Northern Rail cup etc) that after a few years it just peters out, I hope not.

12 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

We spoke to a few Fev fans at Kings Cross after the game, most went to the pub to celebrate the win. Most York fans stayed or moved seats. Quite a few in the neutral section too. 

Good game anyway. I hope the 1895 cup continues, it’s not a bad competition and gives so many players hope of a big day out. I’m always worried when it’s a small cup (See Northern Rail cup etc) that after a few years it just peters out, I hope not.

Doubt the 1895 will peter out  for one good reason

Northern Rail cup Blackpool

1895 cup   Wembley

14 minutes ago, DEANO said:

From what I’ve heard it’ll be the last at Wembley to be replaced by the women’s final

And would be progress as it actually is the Women's Challenge Cup. I would make the 1895 Cup Final part of Magic Weekend. Reduce Magic weekend to top 8 SL clubs each season as a reward for performance. Put it as the middle fixture on Day 1 or Day 2 and actually have a game with something at stake. 

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

And would be progress as it actually is the Women's Challenge Cup. I would make the 1895 Cup Final part of Magic Weekend. Reduce Magic weekend to top 8 SL clubs each season as a reward for performance. Put it as the middle fixture on Day 1 or Day 2 and actually have a game with something at stake. 

Moving it to Magic kills it but there’s probably more to be gained by moving the women’s final to Wembley. 

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Moving it to Magic kills it but there’s probably more to be gained by moving the women’s final to Wembley. 

Maybe so, was looking for first best option. London Women's team winning the Challenge Cup at Wembley in 2-3 years time probably does more for the whole sport in terms of participation, access to government funding, development officers et al. It is no longer about how many coaches of Widnes fans can turn up for the AB sundecks final as the £15m government money for the WC shows. I think it would be a game changer for the perception of women's RL in the UK too and may lead to overseas players signing for UK clubs in time. 

As much fun as the Fev v York game was, these two clubs should have ambitions to be part of the big show in years to come! Both great rugby clubs with a lot of potential. If Salford can, they can!

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Maybe so, was looking for first best option. London Women's team winning the Challenge Cup at Wembley in 2-3 years time probably does more for the whole sport in terms of participation, access to government funding, development officers et al. It is no longer about how many coaches of Widnes fans can turn up for the AB sundecks final as the £15m government money for the WC shows. I think it would be a game changer for the perception of women's RL in the UK too and may lead to overseas players signing for UK clubs in time. 

I think the game needs to capitalise on being arguably Britain’s original ‘woke’ sport, ie inclusivity. Putting the girls on  the same day as the boys at Wembley certainly would help sell that message. You could also envisage the wheelchair Challenge Cup being on in the evening  - maybe even Wembley Arena or the Copper Box.

19 hours ago, DEANO said:

From what I’ve heard it’ll be the last at Wembley to be replaced by the women’s final

REALLY don't forget it'a all about the money does anybody think the RFL will replace a game that put thousands in their coffers for one that doesn't 

I think the system for the 1895 Cup (using the first 2 rounds of the Challenge Cup as qualifiers that led straight to the semi finals) worked really well this year for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it reduced the number of games in what everyone agrees is an overcrowded season, and avoided the necessity to play midweek games in the 1895 Cup, which understandably meant teams often fielded teams that were nowhere near full strength.

Secondly, it brought a bit more meaning to the early rounds of the Challenge Cup for Championship teams...up to now there were mixed feelings about the CC for many clubs, knowing they had zero chance of getting to Wembley but every round they progressed meaning an extra game to play...the bonus of a semi final place if they get through the first two rounds actually made the Challenge Cup games a bit more meaningful too.

Think both Paul March and James Ford made this point after the game, I hope the same format is kept.

On 18/07/2021 at 12:30, Scubby said:

As much fun as the Fev v York game was, these two clubs should have ambitions to be part of the big show in years to come! Both great rugby clubs with a lot of potential. If Salford can, they can!

Fev have had the ambition since 2008 to get into SL where they feel they belong but the powers that be have stopped that from happening. Hopefully this will be their year.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Archived