Sat 17 Jul: Challenge Cup Final: Castleford Tigers v St Helens KO 15:00 (BBC TV)

Who will win?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers by 13 points or more
    • Castleford Tigers by 7 to 12 points
    • Castleford Tigers by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/07/21 at 14:30

I’m hoping Woolf doesn’t stick to his usual dull tactics of plodding down the middle. We need to be getting the ball out wide as quickly as possible. Cas will have a big advantage in the hooking position because Roby has done ###### all with the ball this season. 

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/07/2021 at 16:03, Saint Toppy said:

I think this year is more unpredictable than ever. Pretty much all the teams have had some sort of disruption through Covid & cancellations on top of the usual injuries.

I think Powell has taken a real risk over the final. Yes his players should be fresh and free from a lot of the niggling injuries players usually have by this time in a season, but by resting almost his entire squad the week before as well means that quite a few of them wont have played for about a month and are certainly not 'match fit'. That could also prove to be their undoing with their attacking structure with the rustyness the players will have.

Woolf also has some tough decisions to make with his selection this week. With Lees getting some game time against Wakey then its going to be him or Amor on the bench, similarly he has a choice of Batchelor or Thompson in the 2nd row (with the other likely to get a bench spot). Then the final bench spot its either Welsby or Dodd.

My gut feel is that if Saints can get ahead early on then they may well pull clear in the 2nd half, but if Cas can replicate what they did to Wire in the 1st half of the SF then its going to be a really close game right to the final whistle. 

Not sure about the Powell risk element, I think hes arguably picked the lesser of two evils.

Vs Saints, he might have just about  been  able to cobble a team together (from fringe players and some of Saturdays 17).  But most of his pivots wouldnt have been able to play, he'd be risking players with niggles too and arguably it would have been a fairly useless excersize with so many key players missing.

The Hudds game was the logically run out, he couldnt predict they would cancel.

Playing a full squad on Sunday would have been a bigger risk.  Firstly you dont want a short turn around before playing Saints, in the heat, on the big Wembley pitch and secondly the HIA issue (not to mention Covid track and trace).   Cas actually lost the full back and a half back to concussion in the game, which could quite easily have been Evalds and Trueman missing Saturday.  Had the game have been Friday night he might have viewed it differently.

I'm not too bothered about games the night before, but I do think there should be nothing on the same day. And there more or less isn't, as Toulouse vs Newcastle is off. There are some NCL games. If it was me, I'd clear the whole calendar and the only games on would be the finals.

Saints Squad now named, Squad as expected;

1. Lachlan Coote, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6, Jonny Lomax, 7, Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Matty Lees, 11. Joel Thompson, 13, Morgan Knowles, 15. LMS, 16. Kyle Amor, 17, Agnatius Paasi, 18. Jack Welsby, 19, Aaron Smith, 20, Joe Batchelor, 21. Lewis Dodd, 22. Josh Simm, 25. Dan Norman.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 great squads so let's hope it's a cracker - genuinely feeling quite emotional about seeing a big event live again - the fact that Cas are in it is an added bonus for me clearly.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Two strong sides named, as expected. For all the rubbish this week about Carter at Wakefield, Covid and the other cup final possibly being cancelled, I’m actually quite looking forward to the game because it has the potential to be a good game on Saturday, though I’m not that confident that the trophy will be ours. 

I've not left the house other than to go running this week to avoid being pinged by track and trace!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Going to the game? Here's how to get your COVID Pass to show you've been fully vaccinated:

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Castleford started the season looking quality and even after a dip did a number on an in form Warrington in the semi final.

For a few weeks now they have clearly prioritised the challenge cup and so I don't think you can pay attention to their league results.

Saints have been pretty good results wise but have lost the exciting play of Justin Holbrook, I think this is due at least in part to the fading attacking skills of James Roby. They still defend well and this is what they build their game around.

I have a feeling that Castleford will emerge from their lull and return to their early season form. If so I think they have a great chance to be the Challenge Cup winners this year.

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

Castleford started the season looking quality and even after a dip did a number on an in form Warrington in the semi final.

For a few weeks now they have clearly prioritised the challenge cup and so I don't think you can pay attention to their league results.

Saints have been pretty good results wise but have lost the exciting play of Justin Holbrook, I think this is due at least in part to the fading attacking skills of James Roby. They still defend well and this is what they build their game around.

I have a feeling that Castleford will emerge from their lull and return to their early season form. If so I think they have a great chance to be the Challenge Cup winners this year.

I said they would win the cup after beating Hull KR and iam still of that opinion.

44 minutes ago, my missus said:

what is the crowd limit on this?

45k isn't it? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

10 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

45k isn't it? 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/57556498

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I'm hoping for a Cas win not just because I'm from Cas but because it's a story.

Dog bites man/Man bites dog.

I'm hoping there is something to report. Let's hope so eh? 

Failing an underdog win, more of the same.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

14 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

7 out of 8. First few are tough.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

An underdog result springs up every now and then . As a RL fan I'm just hoping for a good game our sport needs it . It will be good to hear " sweet Caroline " again. Who knows 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived