The World Cup goes ahead

7 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

I hate to post anything from the crappy right-wing Daily Mail, and I'd take everything it says with a grain of salt, but here goes:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-9789443/Australia-send-RESERVE-team-2021-Rugby-League-World-Cup.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Note this part:

The Australian Rugby League have signed a Participation Agreement committing to taking part in the tournament, but it does not stipulate that they must send their strongest team. 

The prospect of Australian fielding a team comprised entirely of players based in England has even been discussed, which would severely dent the integrity of the competition.

Of course it will have been discussed, to think it wouldn't would be naïve.. 

It would have been a 10 second conversation along the lines of "the document is legally binding and we could end up forking out loads of money just because the Aus govt shut the country down!"

"Look, if worst comes to worst we just put together a team of players based in the UK, Australia compete but no players get stuck."

"Fair point". 

The Mail are just using it as a negative in line with everything they print. 

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People shouldn't get hung up on which players come. World Cups are obviously about seeing the best players on a rugby pitch, but they are far more than that. 

Whether it's injuries, covid, politics, whatever, each country will get the best team they can on the field and win or lose based on that. 

The important thing we can do is get out, support it, and bloody enjoy it, surely we have earned the right to just enjoy this one?!?!? 

Really pleased to hear from the organisers that it's all going ahead. Obviously 100 days is both a long time and a ridiculously short time and anything can happen but fingers crossed we get to the start line now and have a great tournament.

A concern that did occur to me was ... if there's all this hassle for the men, has anyone even considered costs/difficulties in getting players for the women/wheelchair tournaments over here and back again? I know it's lower profile but those competitions are integral to the whole RLWC.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People shouldn't get hung up on which players come. World Cups are obviously about seeing the best players on a rugby pitch, but they are far more than that. 

Whether it's injuries, covid, politics, whatever, each country will get the best team they can on the field and win or lose based on that. 

The important thing we can do is get out, support it, and bloody enjoy it, surely we have earned the right to just enjoy this one?!?!? 

Agree, 1995 was a really good example of that.

A very positive announcement from the organisers:

Organisers have successfully delivered record sponsorship deals, a domestic broadcast deal which means all matches will be live across BBC platforms and have sold significant overseas broadcast rights.

At the same time, ticket sales have so far exceeded expectations and the positive social contribution to communities, including some of those hardest hit by the pandemic has been extensive.

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/316/rlwc2021-organisers-on-schedule-to-deliver-trailblazing-tournament

7 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

I hate to post anything from the crappy right-wing Daily Mail, and I'd take everything it says with a grain of salt, but here goes:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-9789443/Australia-send-RESERVE-team-2021-Rugby-League-World-Cup.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Note this part:

The Australian Rugby League have signed a Participation Agreement committing to taking part in the tournament, but it does not stipulate that they must send their strongest team. 

The prospect of Australian fielding a team comprised entirely of players based in England has even been discussed, which would severely dent the integrity of the competition.

I would rather they send a Team. Secondly,  I think most Aussie players would want to play in a World Cup and once a few agree then most will follow. After that, I don’t care that it’s thought to not be the strongest, it will still be a good side.

4 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

The RLWC going ahead even got a mention on the 9am news on classic FM just now! The news bulletins only ever cover about 5 pieces, so it must mean it's the top 5 most important things in the UK right now

I know number 5 is the pointing on my patio, so they are at least at number 4.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I would rather they send a Team. Secondly,  I think most Aussie players would want to play in a World Cup and once a few agree then most will follow. After that, I don’t care that it’s thought to not be the strongest, it will still be a good side.

I would be amazed if a strong team didn't come. Even if some players opted out this would then provide a once in lifetime opportunity for some fringe players that they may not otherwise get.

8 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

True, but the problem was, the organisation of the 2017 RLWC was pretty poor, and the promotion of it was pathetic.

That's still no excuse to not sell out a final. In fact I wonder what the whole tournament would've looked like if it wasn't for Tonga and their fans. 

While it is obviously good news that it is the intention to go ahead we shouldn’t get too carried away just yet. There’s still a long road to the tournament commencing. Just look at what has happened in the Netherlands as a cautionary tale, opened everything back up and saw a 500% increase in cases in 2 weeks and now gone back into lockdown. Hopefully we won’t suffer the same fate after next week’s lifting of restrictions.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Australia are just posturing with this stuff about sending a reserve team to make a point . There maybe individuals who decide not to come for their own reasons but I’d bet they’ll be here with a really strong squad because when all is said and done they’re the holders , they’re winners and they’ll want to win again . Any team with their name on it will want to be the best 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

This reminds me of this façade they create around Origin. If Australia don't send their best team then how many players from this year's State of Origin will actually go and play for other countries - Papalii, Coates, To'o, Luia, Fa'asuamaleaui, Kafusi, Koroisau, Sims, Moses, Molo. Then you have all the world's best players who don't qualify for Origin like Taumalolo, Asofa Solomona, Manu, Johnson etc. 

There will be 100+ NRL players playing for other countries. Australia (Kangaroos) is not the NRL anymore - it is the minority in the NRL.

Facade is a good word.  You make excellent points.

And we whinge and moan about our own possible 'Roses' tournament and make no attempt to create one.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Really pleased to hear from the organisers that it's all going ahead. Obviously 100 days is both a long time and a ridiculously short time and anything can happen but fingers crossed we get to the start line now and have a great tournament.

A concern that did occur to me was ... if there's all this hassle for the men, has anyone even considered costs/difficulties in getting players for the women/wheelchair tournaments over here and back again? I know it's lower profile but those competitions are integral to the whole RLWC.

These comps are mentioned in the press release, so it is great that they are being treated as an integral part of the comp - I really like what they have done, making it about the comp as a whole - I'm hoping to go to the Wheelchair games and the women's matches are going to be a key part of our purchases, will be taking my 5 yr old daughter and hoping for a slightly more relaxed atmosphere that she'll enjoy.

15 minutes ago, Derwent said:

While it is obviously good news that it is the intention to go ahead we shouldn’t get too carried away just yet. There’s still a long road to the tournament commencing. Just look at what has happened in the Netherlands as a cautionary tale, opened everything back up and saw a 500% increase in cases in 2 weeks and now gone back into lockdown. Hopefully we won’t suffer the same fate after next week’s lifting of restrictions.

My understanding is it's not gone down to so called lockdown, but introduced more curbs on things like nightclubs.  Young people are getting and spreading it and they generally have not even had one jab.  Our easing of restrictions comes after a lot more people have been jabbed.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

These comps are mentioned in the press release, so it is great that they are being treated as an integral part of the comp - I really like what they have done, making it about the comp as a whole - I'm hoping to go to the Wheelchair games and the women's matches are going to be a key part of our purchases, will be taking my 5 yr old daughter and hoping for a slightly more relaxed atmosphere that she'll enjoy.

Yes they have done this really well. Every tournament has been given parity and equal prominence which I don't particularly recall in other tournaments.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Perfect - I didn’t get chance to read beyond the headlines and summaries 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Note this part:

As ipposed to crappy daily mirror maybe.

All newspapers are crappy.

The Beeb has a positive article on it going ahead. The organisers seem determined and have contingency plans for others to step up if any country doesn’t come. I must say the organisation committee has impressed me with their get on with it attitude. Are they RL people?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

11 minutes ago, RayCee said:

The Beeb has a positive article on it going ahead. The organisers seem determined and have contingency plans for others to step up if any country doesn’t come. I must say the organisation committee has impressed me with their get on with it attitude. Are they RL people?

Possitive?

The headline says that Australia have not signed yet, and says NRL clubs are not happy.

18 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Possitive?

The headline says that Australia have not signed yet, and says NRL clubs are not happy.

The positive I was referring to wasn’t in reference to the BBC artlicle per se but the organisational committee and how they’re handling it. I could have worded it better.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I wonder if the organisers managed to get any more money out of the Government for the increased costs? I think the Government would have been willing to pay more to ensure this goes ahead because it is good for the country and shows that the country is moving on.

Archived