The World Cup goes ahead

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not mentuioned so I thought I would add this

CRICKET THE SAVIOUR... FOR RUGBY LEAGUE

The India cricket team have emerged as the potential key to the rugby league World Cup taking place as planned this autumn.

Tournament officials have been working closely with the Indian cricket board to determine how the players’ Covid protocols should operate during the competition, as India’s players have been able to operate with a degree of freedom in England ahead of next month’s Tests.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-9800665/SPORTS-AGENDA-Stark-inequality-treatment-Tokyo-2020-athletes-IOC-members.html

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Just for that comment we should crack on without them, then make them play qualifiers for the next tournament 

I am now coming round to that conclusion more and more. It's now becoming a bit of a watershed moment for the game and for the good of the wider game it cannot allow itself to be be dictated to by any one country.

Arrogance is the main word I think off watching that . We told you what to do … you haven’t listened so we’re taking our ball home . Doubly arrogant is the line that the players need it explaining to them . Go ahead whatever and show them they can’t dictate to everyone else , and show up narrow self interest in the process . The individual players decisions will tell a story and given a choice without clubs breathing down their neck I guess a lot will want to play 

Has it ever occurred to posters on this forum that other international boards can sign up to the World Cup participation agreement on the basis that when / if the NRL pulls the plug they just shrug the sholders and say "well you know we would have loved to have come to merry Northern England but our players are NRL contracted so sorry...."

As with most sport these days signing an agreement / contract does not mean there is any real intent to fulfill it...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Arrogance is the main word I think off watching that . We told you what to do … you haven’t listened so we’re taking our ball home . 

It's hardly a one-off occurrence.

On Fox League yesterday they were discussing how Origin needs to be moved to the end of the season to promote its TV ratings. Paul Kent was the voice of reason, pointing out that there is a World Cup scheduled this year, and in other seasons there are international games/tours etc. This had barely even registered with the other participants in the discussion! 😆

19 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Gus makes some very good points here whether we like it or not.

It is 6 weeks not 8 weeks he is making that up. Those teams not making the final will be back in pre season training by Jan 19, those that do Jan 26.

6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

And that's why no one likes the Aussies.... you can't have a WC without the Aussies 🤣🤣 Didnt the USA say something very similar about the Olympics before 1980??🤔

Let's crack on and get it staged with or without them.

is there a facebook page or similar - think there is one but cant think of its name -petition.com? maybe?

simply- aus dont send their strongest squad = i cancel my nrl  subscription 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

i absolutely love nrl - but if aus dont send all the stars i will cut off my nose to spite my face and go without it in principal 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

We recently had a French union side tour down here and before the series started there was a lot of talk that the series was meaningless because it was their second or third string team. I`ll tell you what, once the series started and was competitive, probably far more competitive than if the French sent their best side, absolutely no one cared and it never got another mention. They got 37 000 for the decider and it rated solidly, I imagine it would be no different if a half decent team of Rugby League rebels could be enticed to defy the clubs and travel to England at the end of the year from down here.

6 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Has it ever occurred to posters on this forum that other international boards can sign up to the World Cup participation agreement on the basis that when / if the NRL pulls the plug they just shrug the sholders and say "well you know we would have loved to have come to merry Northern England but our players are NRL contracted so sorry...."

As with most sport these days signing an agreement / contract does not mean there is any real intent to fulfill it...

Spot on RR. NZ have signed a participation agreement, yet the CEO of NZRL Greg Peters has openly said that we have signed on the basis that protocols are in place that can keep their players safe.

All Pacific Nations are just as likely to pull out as Australia are. If the Aussies do, it will be very likely the other Pacific nations will fall like dominoes behind an Aussie cancellation.

This will then be seen by posters on here as the NRL leveraging it’s strength and dictating terms to the other Pacific nations.

Frankly, this is not a NRL problem. The pandemic has been handled in a vastly different manner between the two continents. What has been considered an allowable risk in the UK would be widely regarded as complacent and risk adverse in Australia. The public perceptions have been set and will be difficult to overcome.

Trying to compare the Euro’s or Olympics to a RLWC is simply disingenuous.

The first involves players from Europe that are conditioned and living under the same restrictions and mindset as the tournament host/s. There is less perceived risk for individuals in Europe, as they have been conditioned to accepting the risk.

The second is a closed shop event with no fans in strictly closed venues and closed participant environments. To think the IRL and RFL with such small resources have the same administrative and funding strength to host a tour all over the UK, as the ever so mighty Olympics do in hosting a private, locked doors event in Tokyo is very naive.

I hope the RLWC goes ahead. I am still not certain it will.

16 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'll never forget Phil Gould in about 2007 or 2008 arguing vociferously that Sonny Bill Williams – a born-and-bred New Zealander of Samoan background who, as far as I am aware, had not stepped foot in Australia before joining Canterbury in 2004 or so –  "MUST" be selected for State of Origin.

He would repeat this demand endlessly, while simultaneously attacking the RL authorities at that time for not selecting the "best" players for Origin, saying what a disgrace this was etc etc.

I have had zero time for his opinions ever since, and the fact he's now arguing against the RLWC going ahead just confirms my view of him.

10 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

i absolutely love nrl - but if aus dont send all the stars i will cut off my nose to spite my face and go without it in principal 

All the star players aren’t going to come, some players will make their own individual decision not to take part in this World Cup, it would be crazy not to watch the World Cup   because of that.

13 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

That did occur to me and I don't doubt it's possible.

I'd just assume that a contract back by several million pounds of government manifesto funding is a bit tighter than what the NZRL are used to or could afford to easily go against.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

58 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

One of Gould’s points is that NRL players aren’t vaccinated, we have no shortage of vaccines in the UK, surely we can vaccinate all players to allow them to play in the World Cup that will be held in the UK?

It's beyond Gould's thinking that players not vaccinated now can get vaccinated in Australia in the 100 days before the tournament starts.

14 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Yes, that has absolutely occurred to me.

And, as the video says, if the NRL use the loophole of not recognising this World Cup as representative games so the clubs can withdraw their players (from all nations) from the tournament, I will never watch another game of NRL again.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived