The World Cup goes ahead

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Fair enoug but a deadline needs to be set to give USA time to get a replacement ready and then help arrange a fixture for them before the world cup. 

Absolutely, a deadline needs to be set pronto.

I'm not 100% confident with this prediction but I think that Australia are being attention seeking whingers who have every intention of turning up.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, RP London said:

If they are "flexing their muscles" its only about time... no way would the IRB or FIFA be dictated to in this way by 1 country no matter who it was... (in FIFAs case that may change depending on the size of the brown envelope of course)/

I'm glad its coming to a head.

If this doesn't come off, if the Aussies don't participate, it will wreck any attempt to maintain any (pretense at) an International Rugby League body.

It'll be us and them from then on, until we die.

Gould's reference to this ''project'' as being someone's ''baby'' shows complete contempt for everyone else in the world of Rugby League. It's not someone's baby for god's sake, its the blo ody World Cup and they've been a party to it from day one.

I'd say, here's your invitation (we can satisfy your most stringent safety concerns) and you have until the end of July to accept or decline.

Then if you decline, we'll bring in the yanks and get on with it. The show must go on.

This is Rugby League's Cuban Crisis.  

9 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

All the star players aren’t going to come, some players will make their own individual decision not to take part in this World Cup, it would be crazy not to watch the World Cup   because of that.

i meant i will go without watching nrl mate

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I see that Tonga have been confirmed as England RU's first opponents of the autumn internationals at Twickenham on the 6th of November, before hosting Australia and South Africa on successive weekends.

Yet another sport that seems like it can navigate the challenges facing participating nations from either side of the world.

I would have far more respect for many of the NRL clubs if they just came out and said they didn't want to bother with a World Cup rather than playing to this safety and logistics nonsense.  It would be self serving and ridiculously short sighted but at least it would be honest.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I see that Tonga have been confirmed as England RU's first opponents of the autumn internationals at Twickenham on the 6th of November, before hosting Australia and South Africa on successive weekends.

Yet another sport that seems like it can navigate the challenges facing participating nations from either side of the world.

I would have far more respect for many of the NRL clubs if they just came out and said they didn't want to bother with a World Cup rather than playing to this safety and logistics nonsense.  It would be self serving and ridiculously short sighted but at least it would be honest.

RU don’t prioritise club friendlies over internationals. The NRL do

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Spoilsport 😉

Who was the troll? Forewarned is forearmed.

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

totally agree.. every reason they have given so far can be argued against with proof of other people managing to overcome those issues.. it is all about will and the Aussie RL team seem to have none.

The Aussies could take a look at last summer & wasn't it Pakistan who came over to play a test against England, yet the Aussies are supposed to be tough nation sorry the way your RL boys are acting more like Sheila's.

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’ll be mentioned in every broadcast and media report in the U.K. on the RL World Cup if Australia don’t come.

Yes to make them a laughing stock - especially if their Olympic team and even their RU teams go abroad. 

Hopefully Big Mal will take a leading role here . He’s a noted internationalist so if he speaks to players individually that could hold some sway . I’m sure he’d want to come and take his strongest squad , and selfishly id really like to see that backline 

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’ll be mentioned in every broadcast and media report in the U.K. on the RL World Cup if Australia don’t come.

And?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Some people are under the illusion I feel that this situation with Australia will just be forgotten by the media if they don’t come.

That it’ll be touched upon briefly and that’ll be that.

I feel that’s not being very realistic.

Rugby league is not football. Nobody will care.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep that´s what makes it shameful. Players won´t be back until a month before the season starts . So instead of being in 4 pre season games they are in 1... cry me a river. 

The answer is simple, just put the NRL season back 2 weeks or more next season, they have plenty of time to do that. They always take the year off internationals following a World Cup anyhow so pushing it back should make no difference at all.  As with every problem the NRL create there are simple solutions but the NRL just aren't interested in them. They just want to create obstacles.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Hopefully Big Mal will take a leading role here . He’s a noted internationalist so if he speaks to players individually that could hold some sway . I’m sure he’d want to come and take his strongest squad , and selfishly id really like to see that backline 

He also wants Samoa's half back and winger plus Fiji's hooker 

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If the NRL continue like this I hope people in UK bin off watching them at the very least. 

This is why the whole situation is so frustrating for me.  I love the NRL and, if I am honest, I enjoy watching it more than Super League these days.  But I love international League more... if the NRL clubs damage the World Cup when all other world sports are moving heaven and earth to continue their international calendar I will be torn.

But I will end up not watching the NRL I think.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is why the whole situation is so frustrating for me.  I love the NRL and, if I am honest, I enjoy watching it more than Super League these days.  But I love international League more... if the NRL clubs damage the World Cup when all other world sports are moving heaven and earth to continue their international calendar I will be torn.

This is exactly how I feel too.

On skimming the thread I feel like a bit of an outlier on this one but I understand why the Aussies aren't coming, the covid situation is far different over there with very  low vaccination rates  to what we have here , the clubs are relocating on mass to SE Queensland and with quarantine rules any touring party on return would have any hardly any time before the start of the next season. And it's not just the Aussies all the Kiwis and Pacific Islanders play NRL. Covid's exploding here and trying to shoe horn a WC in amongst all that doesn't make sense especially when a lot of the touring players and staff may not be  vaccinated.

Listened to the IRLB CEO on Dave Woods BBC podcast last week and he sounded like a man way out of his depth (reminded me of Rimmer!) , spouting a load of rhetoric , lacking leadership and with no real answers.

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

RU don’t prioritise club friendlies over internationals. The NRL do

RU also makes significantly more from internationals and have much less to lose from missing club games as a result.

As long as the risk isn’t worth the return clubs are going to be reluctant to participate in internationals that impact on their season, and can you really blame them, they are businesses after all.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The NRL hasn’t damaged the World Cup, if anything them pumping resources into developing players from NZ and the PI’s is the only thing that has kept it even slightly relevant in recent years...

The problems that the World Cup, and international RL in general, face can’t be fixed independently of the RFL, and other nations, getting their houses in order. A strong international product starts with strong local club competitions, and until we have that in more than just one nation international footy is always going to struggle.

Archived