The World Cup goes ahead

Have Australia and NZ pulled out of any other sporting event?

im seething at them for allowing the announcement to go ahead then pulling out they are self serving and insular, that’s why we should just crack on without them, as I say could they field sides from players based in the UK?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't help but feel that British clubs have given them the perfect excuse over the last few weeks. How can we say it is safe when our players have been getting it left, right and centre recently? 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I can't help but feel that British clubs have given them the perfect excuse over the last few weeks. How can we say it is safe when our players have been getting it left, right and centre recently? 

That’s all well and good. They seem more bothered about players being away from home. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A decimated tournament with countries unable to field a team, with the limited timeframe to be cleared of the virus to play again, is a real possibility.  

The decision should have been left solely to players and officials in question. No one would hold it against individual players if they decided they didn't want to come across for whatever reason, but the decision should never have been taken out of their hands. I guarantee more than enough of them would have stuck their hands up to participate.

Peter V'landys tenure at the head of the ARLC has been nothing short of farcical, he is an absolute blight upon our game.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The lax attitude that clubs show on many things from kick off times to enforcing bubbles really won’t have helped.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

its easy... we have one of the biggest testing regimes in the world that is picking people up and then keeping others safe my isolating them. But by October/november (3 months way) if the modelling of experts is correct we will be one of the safest countries on the planet. Vaccinate your players (500 x £3 a shot that we paid for astra zenica vaccines is £3k ffs!).. and get on.. if the excuse is concern of players getting it then this is rubbish.. 

Longer away from home after being bubbled for so long is perhaps a more understandable argument but then let players decide. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Of course, but the optics work for them. 

They’ve pounced on that for sure - they should be called out on that

Especially NZ if all “conditions” have been met on their signed agreement 

Honestly don’t see how it goes ahead in 2021.

It’s not just the men’s tournament affected by Australia and New Zealand pulling out, the women’s and presumably the wheelchair tournaments are damaged too. 

The football World Cup starts on 21 Nov 2022, I would hope that if rearranged the RLWC ends before then. 

Archived