The World Cup goes ahead

13 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

It's beyond Gould's thinking that players not vaccinated now can get vaccinated in Australia in the 100 days before the tournament starts.

Your right there mate, if their worried about the Astra-Zeneca, the Pfizer vaccine is suppose to start arriving in big numbers in September, so that`s a ###### excuse of Gould`s. If the NRL can arrange $40m quarantine hubs with the Government I`m sure they can arrange a couple of hundred shots for all the players likely involved in this tournament. 

I really don`t know what`s going on with Gould, he can be so astute and other times you wonder what planet he`s on.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Your right there mate, if there worried about the Astra-Zeneca, the Pfizer vaccine is suppose to start arriving in big numbers in September, so that`s a ###### excuse of Gould`s. If the NRL can arrange $40m quarantine hubs with the Government I`m sure they can arrange a couple of hundred shots for all the players likely involved in this tournament. 

I really don`t know what`s going on with Gould, he can be so astute and other times you wonder what planet he`s on.

but its the same excuse as using the numbers in the UK at the moment. We are 3-4 months away and the view of experts here (which may be proven wrong) is that there will be an initial spike of infections but they wont be leading to hospitalisations and then it will drop considerably. Start of the school holidays and summer is the perfect time to do this to cause the least disruption to opening business (except of course they have messed that up with the continued pinging of everyone through the app).. right or wrong (not wanting to debate the politics) that is the idea.. 

So for Gould to say "look at the cases they wont be safe" is just stupid as that is going to come down (if the plan works)... we can have full stadia now and things are moving forwards. 

When you pull out all the extra guff that is just that, guff, then you get to the real crux of the issue. IF you get towards the latter stages you will be 2 weeks late for pre season. Any team going out in the groups isnt a problem as they will be home 2 weeks earlier anyway. So its only the teams that qualify for the semi finals really.. so that probably Australia, New Zealand, England and Tonga.. Clubs surely have strong enough and deep enough squads to not need those international players for 2 games.. some of those players may well have been rested anyway to give them the best chance to be "on it" when the season matters.

it is just simply me me me me me.. i'd say nimbyism as its the same sort of thing, its ok but it has to 100% suit me.. it doesnt so they want to take their ball home and screw the damage it will do to all the other nations (New Zealand could do with a good world cup etc).

Gavin Willacy's latest Guardian column has this:

Foreign quota

Whether pressurised by the government or economic necessity, the World Cup appears to be going full steam ahead this autumn in the face of fierce negativity from Australia. World Cup chief executive Jon Dutton said: “We expect all 21 nations to be here – there’s an incredible appetite. We’re very confident Australia will participate.” Although, he also admitted: “It’s one thing getting to the start line, another getting through all 61 games.”

The International Rugby League chairman, Troy Grant, said that the support from the UK government was “unprecedented in rugby league history”. With the BBC showing every game in the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments live, a postponement would be a nightmare for the broadcaster. Grant admitted it’s “critical it goes ahead” because “the broadcast opportunities, especially for the women’s game, are extraordinary – it will be a great leap forward”.

Given there has been no income from international rugby league since November 2019, Grant says it needs to happen this year for the game’s sake. Denying the IRL were “flexing its muscles” he claimed they are “fulfilling our responsibility to the game”. Dutton acknowledged that bringing 400-500 players and staff from Australasia on charter flights was “digging deep into our pockets”, but said he was still “confident we’ll provide the biggest ever financial return to the IRL.”

9 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Gavin Willacy's latest Guardian column has this:

Foreign quota

Whether pressurised by the government or economic necessity, the World Cup appears to be going full steam ahead this autumn in the face of fierce negativity from Australia. World Cup chief executive Jon Dutton said: “We expect all 21 nations to be here – there’s an incredible appetite. We’re very confident Australia will participate.” Although, he also admitted: “It’s one thing getting to the start line, another getting through all 61 games.”

The International Rugby League chairman, Troy Grant, said that the support from the UK government was “unprecedented in rugby league history”. With the BBC showing every game in the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments live, a postponement would be a nightmare for the broadcaster. Grant admitted it’s “critical it goes ahead” because “the broadcast opportunities, especially for the women’s game, are extraordinary – it will be a great leap forward”.

Given there has been no income from international rugby league since November 2019, Grant says it needs to happen this year for the game’s sake. Denying the IRL were “flexing its muscles” he claimed they are “fulfilling our responsibility to the game”. Dutton acknowledged that bringing 400-500 players and staff from Australasia on charter flights was “digging deep into our pockets”, but said he was still “confident we’ll provide the biggest ever financial return to the IRL.”

If they are "flexing their muscles" its only about time... no way would the IRB or FIFA be dictated to in this way by 1 country no matter who it was... (in FIFAs case that may change depending on the size of the brown envelope of course)/

12 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Given there has been no income from international rugby league since November 2019, Grant says it needs to happen this year for the game’s sake.

I read that and I think we are going to see some sort of team sent over. I think by the sounds of that they will reach some sort of compromise. I`m thinking the players will be consulted if they want to take the trip, which I expect most will, and if they don`t replacements won`t be hard to find, and some sort of squad will be put together.

I find it very hard to believe that Grant could be so adamant about the importance of this tournament proceeding and not be pushing it and also not seeming to be giving any indication of backsliding. Having said that he was a politician, so you can never be 100% of any thing they say.

Not sure what`s going on with Gould, they( the NRL) must have the pip with him since he walked on the NZRL thing, so he could have a bee in his bonnet at the moment and is making life hard for the NRL by trying to wedge them on the WC. That`d be his style, he can be like that. He`ll be right at home in the vipers nest that is Canterbury Bankstown.

13 hours ago, Scubby said:

It is 6 weeks not 8 weeks he is making that up. Those teams not making the final will be back in pre season trading by Jan 19, those that do Jan 26.

He;s also making up the fact that the chairman of the International Rugby Board is from the UK and that its "his baby".. the chairman is an australian for a start and he has only been in post that long.. he just sees how important it is and is pushing for it to happen.

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

He;s also making up the fact that the chairman of the International Rugby Board is from the UK and that its "his baby".. the chairman is an australian for a start and he has only been in post that long.. he just sees how important it is and is pushing for it to happen.

If 15 of the 16 teams have signed participation agreements for those NRL players it is done. NRL clubs must release players for major internationals and there are non bigger than the World Cup. The NRL/ARL only has power over its own national team. If they think they can bring the whole thing down by not participating then they are wrong. The competition should just go on without them and the USA can replace them in their group. They a only a member of the IRL not the IRL itself. 

33 minutes ago, RP London said:

Sadly the Lions tour was the aforementioned person's baby 😕 That went well.

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Sadly the Lions tour was the aforementioned person's baby 😕 That went well.

oh yes.. there are plenty of example of his babies being a complete and utter disaster... but lets at least beat him with a stick he deserves, there are enough to chose from after all!

https://treizemondial.fr/peter-vlandys-met-le-doute-sur-la-participation-de-laustralie-a-la-coupe-du-monde/

The boss of Australian rugby league was surprised by the confirmation of the World Cup and said that Australia had not validated his participation.

“We are far from being able to commit.”

This is how Peter V'landys reacts when we talk about the World Cup, which has just been officialized and is scheduled to begin in October. He is also under pressure from most NRL clubs who are still reluctant to release players at the end of the season. Australia is the title holder and an absence from the major nation of rugby union in the world would be terrible, especially in terms of the media coverage and credibility of the event. Clubs and the ARL require extremely demanding financial guarantees and protocol during the tournament. Peter V'landys also added:

The most important thing for us is the safety of the players. Unless we are totally convinced that our players will be safe, we cannot commit. We have other questions about the financial situation. We are also concerned about quarantine requirements. We are far from being able to commit to the World Cup. We are in a very serious pandemic, the state of Victoria has just been confined for five days. We are focusing on this for the moment. We don't have all the conditions we have proposed and we won't go to clubs and players until we have what we want.

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

https://treizemondial.fr/peter-vlandys-met-le-doute-sur-la-participation-de-laustralie-a-la-coupe-du-monde/

The boss of Australian rugby league was surprised by the confirmation of the World Cup and said that Australia had not validated his participation.

“We are far from being able to commit.”

This is how Peter V'landys reacts when we talk about the World Cup, which has just been officialized and is scheduled to begin in October. He is also under pressure from most NRL clubs who are still reluctant to release players at the end of the season. Australia is the title holder and an absence from the major nation of rugby union in the world would be terrible, especially in terms of the media coverage and credibility of the event. Clubs and the ARL require extremely demanding financial guarantees and protocol during the tournament. Peter V'landys also added:

The most important thing for us is the safety of the players. Unless we are totally convinced that our players will be safe, we cannot commit. We have other questions about the financial situation. We are also concerned about quarantine requirements. We are far from being able to commit to the World Cup. We are in a very serious pandemic, the state of Victoria has just been confined for five days. We are focusing on this for the moment. We don't have all the conditions we have proposed and we won't go to clubs and players until we have what we want.

The thing for him is that he does not have power over anything other than the Australian squad - that's it. NRL have to release players for internationals hence them now trying to discredit the World Cup as representative games. FFS!!

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The thing for him is that he does not have power over anything other than the Australian squad - that's it. NRL have to release players for internationals hence them now trying to discredit the World Cup as representative games. FFS!!

its the "players will be safe" argument... the players will be as safe here in october as anywhere else in the world, perhaps safer. There can be bubbles to make even more sure of that.. its not a safety angle.. 

and if they are worried about the "safety" of the shorter turn around then its just hypocrytical with SoO and backing up.. they can always give the small number of players who will make the latter stages a couple of extra weeks off.. its really not a big issue.. unless you want it to be.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

There is no evidence to a nuetral UK audience that Australia are any bigger draw than England vs Scotland. In short, Australia doesn´t matter nearly as much on an international scene as they would like to believe they do. Every other nation has signed the agreement. Give them a deadline for mid august and if it isn´t signed place goes to USA. 

And sadly, they've done that themselves with their attitude.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

There is no evidence to a nuetral UK audience that Australia are any bigger draw than England vs Scotland. In short, Australia doesn´t matter nearly as much on an international scene as they would like to believe they do. Every other nation has signed the agreement. Give them a deadline for mid august and if it isn´t signed place goes to USA. 

It’ll be mentioned in every broadcast and media report in the U.K. on the RL World Cup if Australia don’t come.

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Love to see the NRL argue that one in court "Well they aren´t real internationals because we aren´t there..." GG boys. 

This 2021 WC is a different beast with government money behind it. The Aussies could end up having to pay not to participate being a full member of the IRL.

According to the 2021 NRL players poll, the best prop in the competition is James Fisher-Harris (with Addin Fanua-Blake 2nd), the best centre is Jospeh Manu (with Justin Olam 3rd) and the best second row is Villiame Kikau (with Isaiah Papali'i 3rd).

Add in Jahrome Hughes as the 2nd best half back, Shaun Johnson the 3rd best five-eigth and Jason Taumalolo as the 2nd best lock and it is really obvious that Origin is no longer the best of the best in the Australian competition.

They would however all be eligible for the World Cup if fit and healthy - if they were allowed to play of course.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-player-poll-2021-tedesco-dethroned-as-the-game-s-best-player-20210603-p57xvf.html

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

41 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That’s an interesting line , and I guess this is the attitude that ultimately is the biggest worry in terms of not just the WC , but international rugby league in general . Many there just seem to see the international game as an inconvenient add on 

They have been trained to think like that. Why can't they just enjoy both aspects of the sport instead of this constant comparing and belittling. What other sports do this? 

36 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Love to see the NRL argue that one in court "Well they aren´t real internationals because we aren´t there..." GG boys. 

Two of the best and most memorable games I have seen were the semi final in the 2013 WC between NZ and England and the 2017 semi with England and Tonga. Guess what Australia weren't in either game.

• ckn locked this topic
  • ckn unlocked this topic

Yes, I will have pulled some posts that were fine but at 100 posts I did a broad brush approach. Your fault for getting wound up by an obvious troll.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Anyway, to take it back to the world cup its good to see the social media side picking up. Seeing Newcastle s accounts talk about it all just makes me even more angry that our local morons ruined it all for us in Workington.

21 minutes ago, ckn said:

Yes, I will have pulled some posts that were fine but at 100 posts I did a broad brush approach. Your fault for getting wound up by an obvious troll.

apologies.. honestly I thought he was for real at the start.. 

19 minutes ago, dkw said:

Anyway, to take it back to the world cup its good to see the social media side picking up. Seeing Newcastle s accounts talk about it all just makes me even more angry that our local morons ruined it all for us in Workington.

I am far too excited for it and I'm not bothered if Australia cannot bring themselves to come over... though i think they will in the end.

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Mid August, you're more generous than I would be. I'd give them until the end of July, at the latest.

Archived