Michael Carter calls it as it is!

Chris Chester now chips in:

Wakefield coach Chris Chester says rugby league is “in a mess” and he fears for the game’s future.

Chester, one of Super League’s longest-serving coaches who sits on the Rugby Football League’s rules committee, launched his criticism after seeing two of his players, Ryan Hampshire and Joe Arundel, banned for Friday’s re-arranged game against Salford.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/chris-chester-i-think-the-game-is-in-a-mess/?utm_content=buffer168e4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RL is so depressing when these people open their mouths. Basically the game is dying because a couple of your players got a ban and you are a terribly bad sport. 

I'd be charging all those players like Gale and Tomkins too. 

Loves a soap box does Carter, almost as much as he loves positioning himself as some kind of hero/martyr. However, if it gets dirty or opinion turns against his argument he’ll be nowhere near it, he’ll disappear like a fart in the wind.

48 minutes ago, Dave T said:

RL is so depressing when these people open their mouths. Basically the game is dying because a couple of your players got a ban and you are a terribly bad sport. 

I think they're now working on a "they can't charge us all" approach.

Which I would very much like to see fail.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

In a week when we are going to get 40k+ at Wembley and the RLWC has just been confirmed as on, we see ex-players on Twitter moaning about marketing and brand, and current club officials and players moaning about the disciplinary.

Trashing the game at any opportunity - without realising the damage they are doing themselves.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yup, what is their solution? What is their problem? Mates being banned? Not being able to go around smacking people?

If I were Leeds or Catalans, I wouldn't be happy with my players sticking their oars in.

2 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

so in a roundabout way he agrees with carter but dosen't have the ⚽⚽alls to say it.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

51 minutes ago, my missus said:

so in a roundabout way he agrees with carter but dosen't have the ⚽⚽alls to say it.

No.

Carter moans about individuals, suggesting he doesn't know who they are so he can lay claim to the much-loved mantle of lazy Rugby League fans of just blaming the faceless RFL.

Agar names names, because like Carter he knows who is on the match review panel and presumably thinks it's weird that Carter is pretending he doesn't. Then Agar highlights that the charges being handed out are essentially based on current protocols and changes may be needed to that guidance if people in power in the sport want to see the decisions arising from that guidance changed.

Quite a significant difference and one, I might suggest, between the rantings you'd expect to see on rlfans and the thoughts of one of Super League's smartest and most experienced coaches.

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

In a week when we are going to get 40k+ at Wembley and the RLWC has just been confirmed as on, we see ex-players on Twitter moaning about marketing and brand, and current club officials and players moaning about the disciplinary.

Trashing the game at any opportunity - without realising the damage they are doing themselves.

The 40k+ at Wembley is actually a terrific achievement given the circumstances. We should be celebrating that and enjoying the game. I am really looking forward to a big RL event at Wembley with noisy fans. Wasn't sure I would see this year.

Hope Padge streaking with a "shame on you RFL" banner won't spoil the fun too much.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The 40k+ at Wembley is actually a terrific achievement given the circumstances. We should be celebrating that and enjoying the game. I am really looking forward to a big RL event at Wembley with noisy fans. Wasn't sure I would see this year.

Hope Padge streaking with a "shame on you RFL" banner won't spoil the fun too much.

Indeed. Other than football and Union (for a very limited number of games) how many other sports in Europe could get a 40k crowd for a club game? 

20 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Richard Agar and Chris Chester - making up 16% of the coaches at the very highest level - tells you all you need to know. Ironically, if the game was in a better place these guys would be nowhere near a job in SL. They should keep stum and enjoy the decline.

On 15/07/2021 at 17:24, RigbyLuger said:

Yup, what is their solution? What is their problem? Mates being banned? Not being able to go around smacking people?

If I were Leeds or Catalans, I wouldn't be happy with my players sticking their oars in.

Who is smacking anyone? That's the point, we are getting bans for nothing.  Hastings gets a ban for pulling up a shirt.  Someone else tackles below the shoulder and gets a ban

All you lovers of SOO, will have seen in the late of the game a player scragged around the neck and pulled down, by 2 opponents I think, and of course ... nothing.

What's wrong with the game?  It's too fast, with too wide an off side line, with big men being encouraged.  We have big fresh men being brought on when in and amongst that are tiring players.  The game wants big contacts at speed, it requires ellusiveness... And then complains at the result.

Haven't had time to watch a rerun of the Salford v Wakey game yet but the disciplinary's take on Pauli Pauli's late hit on Miller should be interesting.  Comparing it to the push that Hampshire got one match ban for btw.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 14/07/2021 at 18:30, dboy said:

I suspect he's fed up of raising issues through the official channels, only to be proved wrong, time after time.

He's had enough, it seems.

Fixed your typo.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 16/07/2021 at 09:53, Eddie said:

What do you want them to do? 

it would have been nice Eddie to show a couple of short ''ads'' mid evening in the two weeks leading up to the game. To make their + or - one standard deviation of their viewership aware that it was happening. 

Archived