Time for Greenwood to go?

Wakefield Ram

I look at the team and it's not a bad squad. But the performances are terrible and the attack is practically non-existent.

Opposition coaches don't need to watch more than one match video, the game plan is always the same. Three hit ups from Gabriel, Oakes, Martin. Finn still giving the opposition's full back easy catches.

They defend well but penalties and mistakes just give them so much work to do.

The only saving grace is Swinton and Oldham are worse than us.

And who are we missing at the moment? Ryder, Hall and Walton 

I'm not one to call for coaches to go, but it is depressing watching the team at the moment and the plan seems to be to do the same as every game.

What s wozza doing nowadays

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

4 minutes ago, silverback said:

And think how bad it would be if they dident lay all over us in the tackle,you have that one down to a T, not sure on wozza,i think you need wagga.

I know, Batley didn't lay on and weren't offside once in the whole match according to the ref.

You certainly need a bit of a clear out, but not sure I'd start with the coach...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

38 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

You certainly need a bit of a clear out, but not sure I'd start with the coach...

I’d start with the stewards at the club. A thoroughly depressing evening both on and off the field. Even going for a pee or returning my plastic pint pot to the bar was tiresome. Was made to feel like a war criminal rather than a paying customer for walking the wrong way out of the stand.

If this had been my first visit to the club I certainly wouldn’t be returning. The whole experience is poor.  It’s only the habit of supporting the club for the past 3 decades that is keeping me coming (for how much longer I’m not sure).  

The game in general as well as the club is on its arris and I can’t see it keeping going without some real changes both on and off the field.

Well played to Batley who continue to prove what a small club can do on a low budget.

rambo.gif

Disappointing... but unfortunately predictable!!  Sykes and Finn have been great servants to the game and our club...and still have something to give to the team ...... but not together!!!... I would still keep Sykes and pair him with a nippy 7 ..... or if Sykes wasn't fit I'd play Finn with a nippy 6 .... but not on the same team at the same time!! .. they just don't complement each others styles .. in fact they contradict each other!! Surely I cant be the only one thinking this!!  .... but I am not the coach!!!! 

Bye heck I know the sun was strong last night and a few of us were out in it far too long🤔

Sack greenwood?? 🤔

Are we losing the plot?? 🤔

These are difficult times, yes we're not where we would like to be.. But sack the coach... Really

I expect another wave of "the crazies" when it's announced Tom garrett has signed for Hull Kr. 

Changing the coach would achieve absolutely zip, we push thru these difficult times, dust ourselves down and go again, rugby league will change next season and maybe for the worst, get behind the lads

And just think things could be far worse... 🤔🤔

We could support York $hitty Knights 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣

I think Greenwood is a very good coach. He’s good at developing players. I think the problem is, as many have identified, the ageing half backs, and constant injuries, especially in the backs. 

We probably need two wins to be sure of staying up. We don’t want it to go down to the last day, any a potential winner takes all against Oldham. 

I also like the way he speaks the truth. He came in and said, if players work hard for us they could move up to Super League. He doesn’t sugar coat things and tell supporters what they want to hear, he understands the game. This division is relentless. Look at the money York have spent - and they’re below us. 

Just hang in there

Definate changes next season in key positions that will speed the team up on the field, halfbacks are scarce as hens teeth, rocking horse doo-doo, and in the old days a Keith Boffin round of drinks god rest his soul, at the moment it's fillers not killers and I'm sure Lee greenwood is working tirelessly trying to fill these key positions, astute coach who knows what he wants, and what he expects, plus next season DR will be back, and if we can hook up with a forward thinking team on the way up things can be all so different, we will not finish 8th or above nor finish in the bottom 2,accept that fact and let's keep going, we've 3 massive games at home Newcastle, Swinton, Oldham, those 3 games will define what happens this season, I'm full expecting us not to win all 3...2 yes.. 3 no.. Anything above 2 will be a bonus and Oldham is the last game so will be in our hands, fully expect it to be done & dusted by then. Swinton is the sticky wicket for me, countless years they've caused us problems at home and their amount of wins testifies to that, even thou they have lost 13 games don't think they are a push over or mugs.. Because they simply are not. 

Things will be fine said the captain of the titanic.... 

And in this case they will🤔🤔🤞🤞

10 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I look at the team and it's not a bad squad. But the performances are terrible and the attack is practically non-existent.

Opposition coaches don't need to watch more than one match video, the game plan is always the same. Three hit ups from Gabriel, Oakes, Martin. Finn still giving the opposition's full back easy catches.

They defend well but penalties and mistakes just give them so much work to do.

The only saving grace is Swinton and Oldham are worse than us.

And who are we missing at the moment? Ryder, Hall and Walton 

I'm not one to call for coaches to go, but it is depressing watching the team at the moment and the plan seems to be to do the same as every game.

I agree with most of what is written here, but I don’t think suggesting the coach should go is the thing to do. With all the injuries we have had this season (yes I know most teams have a similar plight), I believe this year is a time for containment: work with what we have and grind out a couple of wins. Our rugby is not pretty at all and the defence is to me, very poor. This was obvious last night where we made only one tackle with one up and one down bringing an instant stop to the ball carrier. I stick with my “Legs, Dews, legs” shout because it’s still the best way to stop a player.

Next season may well see the regular influx (and departure) of players, but right now get behind the coaches and players and help us through this poor, poor period.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

It just reminds me of the final games under Glen Morrison. Our game plan is exactly the same every game. Same backs take first 3-4 hit ups, telegraphed in advance just in case the opposition needed any help. 

If I can see in the stand who's going to take the next drive, I'm sure the opposition can. Forwards run in ones, just to make it easier again. 

At least we put a few attacking kicks in last night but Finn still giving easy catches to the full back under no pressure. What's happened to grubber kicks to force a drop out or the short chip to the posts? Or even a move different to the one passing to Joe Martin round the back?

An opposition coach could put a 5 minute video together covering all our attacking plays.

It's not losing that's the issue (supported Rams for 40+ years 😁) it's the manner of the defeats.

We need a bit more than just to grind out wins.

39 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It just reminds me of the final games under Glen Morrison. Our game plan is exactly the same every game. Same backs take first 3-4 hit ups, telegraphed in advance just in case the opposition needed any help. 

If I can see in the stand who's going to take the next drive, I'm sure the opposition can. Forwards run in ones, just to make it easier again. 

At least we put a few attacking kicks in last night but Finn still giving easy catches to the full back under no pressure. What's happened to grubber kicks to force a drop out or the short chip to the posts? Or even a move different to the one passing to Joe Martin round the back?

An opposition coach could put a 5 minute video together covering all our attacking plays.

It's not losing that's the issue (supported Rams for 40+ years 😁) it's the manner of the defeats.

It isn't pretty, everyone would agree. However the coach is currently limited to spending his time scratching around for 17 players to get onto the pitch - note our regular use of short-term loanees. We might look at a supposedly strong squad but then look again at which players are actually available. With such a bare-bones position in terms of players there is little time for any actual coaching.

As a final thought, who was calling for LG's head last season when we got off to a great start pre-Covid?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

49 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

We say the same things match after match,but no hint of change in style.How many times they get near the line and blow it.Even at Oldham we were lucky to win that and their coach didn't last long after that.Batley in the first half struggled mostly.We have to do so much more tackling because of errors and stupid things like losing the ball on the first tackle.So we end up putting the game on a plate to Batley.Thankfully the Bat.fans turned up in numbers or else the crowd would have been pathetic.A few of us will support this club what ever happens and have done for many decades but a lot are not doing.Coolie has mellowed now he is on the inner sanctum i seem to remember Glen, was not a favourite.

Oldham away was absolutely dire. We created one chance and scored and the other two were from picking up a dropped ball from Oldham and running in to score. 

My son said it was the worst game he'd ever seen. Obviously not supported the Rams as long as me 😁 but understood the sentiment.

Yes, we have injuries/Covid but so does everyone else. Can anyone explain why our backs take the ball up so much? The opposition's forwards spend most of the time tackling our backs rather than our forwards. They must be pretty happy about that.

Or why Finn just lobs easy catches to their full back under no pressure?

Or why Knowles no longer uses his kicking game which is very good?

Or why we never grubber kick for a repeat set?

From the Rams I literally watch the same game based on damage limitation every week. The only difference is how many points the opposition scores.

The effort cannot be faulted, Finn busts a gut on defence, but the way we play just hands games on a plate to the opposition if they are any good.

On 16/07/2021 at 14:30, silcoates said:

We say the same things match after match,but no hint of change in style.How many times they get near the line and blow it.Even at Oldham we were lucky to win that and their coach didn't last long after that.Batley in the first half struggled mostly.We have to do so much more tackling because of errors and stupid things like losing the ball on the first tackle.So we end up putting the game on a plate to Batley.Thankfully the Bat.fans turned up in numbers or else the crowd would have been pathetic.A few of us will support this club what ever happens and have done for many decades but a lot are not doing.Coolie has mellowed now he is on the inner sanctum i seem to remember Glen, was not a favourite.

Thank you for the gracious description on been in the inner sanctum lol, yes I spoke out openly about Mr Morrison and backed every word up and in the end proved right.... 

And still "he'll never be a top coach as long as I have a" A-hole"

Which is the case on both counts🤔

I vowed I'd help the club as much as possible on my return, and kept up every promise, volunteering 3 days a week at the club working with the fabulous Tony Healey who is a staggering 80 years old, he also does 3 days a week and both give our time freely, Roger Ashton another volunteer is a great servant to the club, if helping the club this way is "the inner Sanctum" I'm blinking proud of it❤️

Times are hard in the rugby league family with covid, its crippled us all, time is not for division but unity, there's a great unknown next season and this was touched on by Batley coach Craig lingard and well worth checking out, he spoke from the heart, with honesty and a love for the game, which is credit to the bloke, LG is the right man for the job, we're struggling with players like everyone is and realistically the season is a write off begging & stealing players is not a game I want to see, loan players at Bradford & York is ridiculous... Even the mighty featherstone rovers (who better beat York at Wembley tomorrow.. OR ELSE" drafted players in.. That tells you the state the game is in, we've 9 games left... We don't have to play Halifax, London, Bradford, toulouse or York (pity) again.. We have 3 games at home Swinton, Newcastle Oldham to play.. Win them it's job done, we stay up, roll onto next season, players leave, players retire, players sign DR starts up again and the fiasco of the last 2 seasons is put into the toilet of history.. And duely flushed like the big log it's been, we dust down, roll the sleeves up and go again carrying our club forward. 

Out of the 3 "must win games" I don't expect to win all 3..Swinton will not go all season without a win and we're prime candidates to be the sacrificial Rams for their 2 points, fingers crossed by the time we play Oldham in the last game.. The T's have been crossed & the I's dotted because none of us will not have any guts left for 80 minutes of "do or die" rugby resulting in been sent down to the black hole of rugby league... Championship 1.

So let's ditch the division that's growing in the club with fans and get back on track, don't ask "what does the club do for me" 

But ask

"what can I do for the club" 

It still is my club, your club, all our club. 

So let's crack on together👊👊👊👊

Oldham have got a very difficult run in. If they don’t beat Whitehaven in Cumbria next weekend I think they’re pretty much down. If we beat Swinton and they lose at Whitehaven it would take a very dramatic set of results for them to stay up. 

15 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

Oldham have got a very difficult run in. If they don’t beat Whitehaven in Cumbria next weekend I think they’re pretty much down. If we beat Swinton and they lose at Whitehaven it would take a very dramatic set of results for them to stay up. 

Let's hope so. After watching us against Newcastle last week, hard to see a win, Swinton could go either way and that leaves Oldham game last match of the season.

Oldham remaining games

Whitehaven Away

London Home

Swinton Away

Sheffield Away

Featherstone Home

Widnes Away

Newcastle Home

Dewsbury Away

They've beaten Swinton & Halifax

4 points

We've won 4 & drawn 1

9 points 

We've at home

Swinton 

Newcastle 

Oldham

Don't think we need to be ordering the valium just yet🤔

• 1 month later...

Anyone still think Lee Greenwood should stay? How bad does it have to get before he goes? Appreciate LG won't want to go, because that will be the end of his professional coaching career except maybe in League One. 

If we could have postponed Featherstone game last week, we should have. Putting the team through a predictably heavy defeat to worsen our points difference and win % was a pointless exercise.

Today the team just looked flat for most of the game. We need a captain to rally his team when they're struggling and barely anyone talking today. And we are unable to score other than interceptions or barging over. 

We could still potentially go down. Oldham's next 3 games are Widnes (just hammered at Whitehaven), Newcastle (capable but nothing special)and us. I can't see us winning another game, so it might be down to points difference which keeps us up but having shipped over 100 points in the last 2 weeks, will we be able to keep the opponents' winning margins down?

MS has shown a lot of loyalty to coaches in the past and I can't say it has paid off. If we were putting in fighting performances and just losing, you can accept that, but both the results and the performances have been poor and tactics non-existent (think I saw Knowles' first field kick of the season today and we almost scored). Will we bombard Worrincy with high kicks next week? I doubt it.

Archived