Should the 1895 Cup have some Amateur teams?

14 hours ago, POR said:

Toulouse Olympique  choose not to play in any cup competitions.again this year

To be fair the them I would be concentrating on the Championship if I was them. At the moment, they aren't able to get any income from home games as part time teams won't travel. It must be costing them a packet this year with no income or home sponsorship.

Also, they probably wouldn't be allowed to be drawn at home either (if previous years are anything to go by) and the RFL will probably want a bond from them if they reached the final 😄 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

To be fair the them I would be concentrating on the Championship if I was them. At the moment, they aren't able to get any income from home games as part time teams won't travel. It must be costing them a packet this year with no income or home sponsorship.

Also, they probably wouldn't be allowed to be drawn at home either (if previous years are anything to go by) and the RFL will probably want a bond from them if they reached the final 😄 

that may be true but cant use it as an excuse don't forget this year isn't the first time they have dropped out all pre covid and before the RFL proposed the  catalan bond FIASCO  and besides I was merley pointing out  to How about a couple of French teams as well. bottom line the french don't want to be in 

OH just a thought S why didn't 1985 cup finalists  FEV drop out of both cups to concentrate on the championship🤣

15 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Just putting the feelers out. Personally I think maybe a couple to balance out the draw next year but imagine if one had a cup run?

Yeah I’d like to see the top 4 NCL sides from the previous season in it. Would be great for them if they got a home draw against one of the bigger sides. 

12 minutes ago, POR said:

that may be true but cant use it as an excuse don't forget this year isn't the first time they have dropped out all pre covid and before the RFL proposed the  catalan bond FIASCO  and besides I was merley pointing out  to How about a couple of French teams as well. bottom line the french don't want to be in 

OH just a thought S why didn't 1985 cup finalists  FEV drop out of both cups to concentrate on the championship🤣

Fev had the option to didn't they? Enjoy the game mate - should be a cracking day! It seems a lifetime ago since I was a kid there at the tunnel end in 1983 with my blue and white rosette on! Too long!! 

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Fev had the option to didn't they? Enjoy the game mate - should be a cracking day! It seems a lifetime ago since I was a kid there at the tunnel end in 1983 with my blue and white rosette on! Too long!! 

No that option only goes to teams that are not full members of the RFL like TP and in the past TWP

It did have 3 NCL teams entered last year though Im not sure the draw was made in the end for round 1

14 Feb 2020 AB SUNDECKS 1895 CUP EXPANDED IN 2020 The AB Sundecks 1895 Cup will have a fresh look in its second season, with three Community clubs from the National Conference League Premier Division joining 17 from Betfred Championship and League 1 for a second opportunity in 2020 to reach Wembley.

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How come there were only about 6 teams in the 1895 cup then?

16 teams entered the  cup 13 champs and 3 division 1 they used the early rounds of the Challenge Cup as the early rounds of the 1895 Cup. The four teams progressing the furthest in the Challenge Cup  become the semi-finalists of the 1895 Cup

20 minutes ago, POR said:

16 teams entered the  cup 13 champs and 3 division 1 they used the early rounds of the Challenge Cup as the early rounds of the 1895 Cup. The four teams progressing the furthest in the Challenge Cup  become the semi-finalists of the 1895 Cup

I'm not sure that's true. Someone else on here can back me up perhaps.

There were stories on totalrl.com news section this year about all the clubs who declined to enter the 1895 cup. A number of Championship clubs gave it the swerve in 2021 IIRC. At one stage they weren't sure it was going to run. 

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I'm not sure that's true. Someone else on here can back me up.

There were stories on totalrl.com news section this year about all the clubs who declined to enter the 1895 cup. A number of Championship clubs gave it the swerve in 2021 IIRC. At one stage they weren't sure it was going to run. 

It is true S what happened  is  they delayed the start of League 1 until May, and let the League 1 clubs decide individually whether to enter the challenge cup or not. , This could  involve them playing one or two fixtures in March, and then face a two-month gap, until the start of the league games, during which they may not be able to take advantage of the British government's furlough scheme After further discussion  the majority of the League 1 clubs decided not to participate in the challenge cup  Barrow Keighly Cougars and West Wales Raiders decided to enter, and played in a 16-team round 1 with the 13 participating Championship clubs.which also acted as round 1 of 1985 cup

17 minutes ago, POR said:

It is true S what happened  is  they delayed the start of League 1 until May, and let the League 1 clubs decide individually whether to enter the challenge cup or not. , This could  involve them playing one or two fixtures in March, and then face a two-month gap, until the start of the league games, during which they may not be able to take advantage of the British government's furlough scheme After further discussion  the majority of the League 1 clubs decided not to participate in the challenge cup  Barrow Keighly Cougars and West Wales Raiders decided to enter, and played in a 16-team round 1 with the 13 participating Championship clubs.which also acted as round 1 of 1985 cup

That is quite different from the original plan which was midweek games and the majority of clubs said we are not entering the 1895 cup leaving around 4/5 who said they would. The thing you described was the RFLs attempt to save face.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

That is quite different from the original plan which was midweek games and the majority of clubs said we are not entering the 1895 cup leaving around 4/5 who said they would. The thing you described was the RFLs attempt to save face.

Exactly but it worked  S just had a belter of a final 🤣

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

I'm not sure that's true. Someone else on here can back me up perhaps.

He is correct. Hence Featherstone, York, Swinton and Widnes made the Semi Finals.

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

He is correct. Hence Featherstone, York, Swinton and Widnes made the Semi Finals.

Yep we got there in the end. This was only the RFL saving face when the majority of clubs withdrew from the original idea which involved midweek matches etc. That is a shame but I am glad they persevered.

Today's game showed just how much it means to players and it was a spectacular game - so hope it can now go from strength to strength. Playing before the actual final as opposed to an hour or so after also helped make the day better I would imagine. Congrats to Fev and York for a great show.

There are 2 qualifications for the 1895, 1st not be a Super League team, 2nd get knocked out of Challenge Cup. 

I'm starting to think of it as a Europa League type job in comparison to Champions League, but to be fully like that you'd need SL Teams to enter as well. Which then would defeat the purpose of the non SL Teams having a final at Wembey. 

13 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

There are 2 qualifications for the 1895, 1st not be a Super League team, 2nd get knocked out of Challenge Cup. 

I'm starting to think of it as a Europa League type job in comparison to Champions League, but to be fully like that you'd need SL Teams to enter as well. Which then would defeat the purpose of the non SL Teams having a final at Wembey. 

That was this year. The original comp was something separate to the challenge cup. I expect back to that format next year 

Archived