Catalan win SL. How will this affect....

I don't think it will affect France much in the slightest. They are a completely different team with many different players and a whole different set of problems they need to solve. Take out the imports from Catalans and Toulouse and things become very different. Then you are also adding part time players to the mix too.

Unfortunately for France Tomkins x2, Maloney, Whare, McMeeken, Drinkwater, Davies, Dudson, Whitley, Kasiano won't be eligible for them so i would imagine they will fare no better than usual considering they will have the same players available.

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

... France in the WC

Maybe chuck in a Tolouse promotion too

How big a factor would it be for their chances? Confidence, belief etc. 

Currently they are 300-1 behind Ireland 

It’s definitely a positive on both counts regarding Catalan winning the grandfinal and Toulouse getting promoted to super league and something to build on for the future but until we see similar numbers of French players in super league to that of NZ players in the NRL nothing dramatically will change for the French National RL team on the international stage unfortunately.

The breath of our inspiration

Is the life of each generation;

A wondrous thing of our dreaming

Unearthly, impossible seeming —

The soldier, the king, and the peasant

Are working together in one,

Till our dream shall become their present,

And their work in the world be done.

Arthur O'Shaunessy

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The breath of our inspiration

Is the life of each generation;

A wondrous thing of our dreaming

Unearthly, impossible seeming —

The soldier, the king, and the peasant

Are working together in one,

Till our dream shall become their present,

And their work in the world be done.

Arthur O'Shaunessy

I thought that was Baz during commentary ?

It's being said that even people with both jabs will have to quarantine for 10 days from Monday on return from France, that is going to kybosh the Dragons playing anymore home games whilst it lasts and they will need to base themselves over here pretty sharpish to play here.

56 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

It's being said that even people with both jabs will have to quarantine for 10 days from Monday on return from France, that is going to kybosh the Dragons playing anymore home games whilst it lasts and they will need to base themselves over here pretty sharpish to play here.

Do they not have dispensation as elite sportsmen & chartering flights etc?

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

The rules for France aren't changing from what they've been all season, it's just that they're not going to be loosened further along with the rest of the Amber List. 

So it won't affect Catalans, but it's a shame for Toulouse as it's squashed the possibility of them playing some home games. 

13 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The rules for France aren't changing from what they've been all season, it's just that they're not going to be loosened further along with the rest of the Amber List. 

So it won't affect Catalans, but it's a shame for Toulouse as it's squashed the possibility of them playing some home games. 

I’m sure there’s also changes in France for arrivals from the UK

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

I thought that was Baz during commentary ?

"This lad works really 'ard at training at Kirkstall. I went for a coffee with his dad last week and we both agreed he is going to be a good'un."

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Regardless of how Catalans do in the 2021 SL, France should be looking at this WC to primarily bring through younger players and start planning for their 2025 WC team. If TO go up and survive it will also help their 2025 team.

23 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I hope they do though. I guess they are everyone's second team so most people do

Not my second team. Just to put on record I had to ask myself what my order of support were in SL and I came up with the following. 1. Cas 2. Wigan 3. Hull 4. Wakefield 5. Hull Kr 6. Leeds 7. Huddersfield 8. Leigh 9. Salford 10. Warrington 11. Saints 12. Catalans. 

I think my problem with Catalans is simply I have no reason to like them and no reason to dislike them which simply normally means if they are on TV I don't bother watching. 

On 17/07/2021 at 09:45, daz39 said:

Unfortunately for France Tomkins x2, Maloney, Whare, McMeeken, Drinkwater, Davies, Dudson, Whitley, Kasiano won't be eligible for them so i would imagine they will fare no better than usual considering they will have the same players available.

Except Bousquet,
Garcia, Goudemand,
Mourgue, Yaha and co are on much better form than what we had last time.

Fingers crossed.

Don't think it will have any material impact on their World Cup chances, but think it could help the development of the game over there. You'd hope that it'd receive some strong media coverage and would help get more kids into the sport.

On 17/07/2021 at 14:13, Spidey said:

I’m sure there’s also changes in France for arrivals from the UK

It's actually easier (as of Monday) you don't need a -ve test now if you have a COVID vaccine passport, and no need to quarantine here. 

That said, there are teams where players refused to be vaccinated which could cause problems. However, it is the return to the UK which is the biggest issue with this new Amber+ rating

Archived