Relegation Off?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, crashmon said:

How do you make saints v wigan to a china audience as relevant as Man United vs Liverpool? 

A china audience ?🤔

Like the Terracotta Army, you mean ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

On the middle east china thing.  Sports are already finding in America and other democracies that China's money comes with a big price. 

Look at the NBA losing ratings over the Houston GM free Hong Kong fiasco and china immediately pulling games.  

Wont be surprised if a new populist comes along in USA or European countries on a platform of cleansing the sports washing we have seen grow. 

Second International Rugby League is a massive growth area (if we get it right) . Even if we made a fraction of Union for a regular 4 nations tournament we'd be laughing. 

Any sport not association football is going to have to rely on fta internationals to maintain exposure commercial partners and new fans. 

With SL coverage, China have muted Barrie and Terry because they can't decipher what the hell they are on about. They've erred on the side of caution as they are yet to be convinced it is logical English (and not some subtext protest).

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Second International Rugby League is a massive growth area (if we get it right) . Even if we made a fraction of Union for a regular 4 nations tournament we'd be laughing. 

Any sport not association football is going to have to rely on fta internationals to maintain exposure commercial partners and new fans. 

This is 100% my point, its the only way forward.

But to get the International RL game to flourish, you need enough youngsters playing the game to get an high enough talent pool, so we have international sides which match Australia and NZ. That means making people in schools in Cardiff, Glasgow, Dublin, London, Devon, Belfast, Birmingham, East Midlands, Newcastle all engaged in kids playing League (and not union), and making their way into clubs and then onwards into national teams.

You not going to get that with a Superleage competition with all the premier clubs in a small section grouped around the M62.  You have to spead the clubs, get more local interest and build from ground up.

Union has this, you have people playing union all over the country (yes its behind football), same with cricket.  But not in RL. I am not saying that London Broncos is the answer, we know that has failed, but I feel that failed owing to a) RFL and B) current LB owner.  But it is a cast iron fact there is much less money invested in sport right now, so the RFL has to have an offering to match at least Union and Cricket from a financial level, and right now its miles behind and getting more and more squeezed.

3 hours ago, crashmon said:

This is 100% my point, its the only way forward.

But to get the International RL game to flourish, you need enough youngsters playing the game to get an high enough talent pool, so we have international sides which match Australia and NZ. That means making people in schools in Cardiff, Glasgow, Dublin, London, Devon, Belfast, Birmingham, East Midlands, Newcastle all engaged in kids playing League (and not union), and making their way into clubs and then onwards into national teams.

You not going to get that with a Superleage competition with all the premier clubs in a small section grouped around the M62.  You have to spead the clubs, get more local interest and build from ground up.

Union has this, you have people playing union all over the country (yes its behind football), same with cricket.  But not in RL. I am not saying that London Broncos is the answer, we know that has failed, but I feel that failed owing to a) RFL and B) current LB owner.  But it is a cast iron fact there is much less money invested in sport right now, so the RFL has to have an offering to match at least Union and Cricket from a financial level, and right now its miles behind and getting more and more squeezed.

Help me out here - is this the same RU that needs folk from all over the world to put a Lions squad together??

Union has already a great International brand.. In 2009 I was in SA for the Lions tour, and over 20K fans from UK made the Pilgramage down there for 4 weeks +.  

When RFL makes as much money from International TV rights as the RFU does then maybe the game might survive. But I really doubt that RFL pulls anywhere near as much.

For Instance the BT deal with RFU for the Premiership is 110M over three years which is 36M a year, 10M a year more than what SuperLeague gets

Look changing things mid season, end of season, etc etc is why our sport isn't taken seriously. It's embarrassing. Imagine football saying errrm this year 3 relegated from premier League. 3. Years no one. Then Oh just the 1, then.......u get it. We haven't really had a long period of consistency for years. 12 teams 23 fixtures. Easy, allows time for internationals. But no. That's too easy. The more I see threads of this nature the I feel at a lost with our sport.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

With respect to Leigh, how can they be judged whether they should stay in SL or not after this year? They put in a bid like everyone else and SL took a punt on them knowing they would take much less money, moan less and have a crack. Now did they approve Leigh as the best SL long term prospect from all the bids or a sticky plaster fit for a desperate competition looking at 11 teams a few weeks out?

Equally, relegating Leigh and then protecting a newly promoted club would be just a plain kick in the teeth for a club willing to step up. It is a right royal mess. People are taking sides on Toulouse, Fev, Leigh based on a bloody dog's dinner of a leadership strategy. We should all know what the plan is and where 'all' clubs stand within this plan.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't there been another issue concentrating people's minds recently? I would challenge you or anyone else to come up with a leadership strategy when you didn't even know if the sport would survive to 2022.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Lets not forget that Wakey have been promising a new ground or a total refurb of thier ground for over 20 years and it's still a total dump.

Every time there are rumours meantioning about Super League and stadia they get some plans drawn up on the back of a fag packet

Nor Cas and their plans for a new stadium for over 40 years...

20 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't there been another issue concentrating people's minds recently? I would challenge you or anyone else to come up with a leadership strategy when you didn't even know if the sport would survive to 2022.

Any sensible organisation would be planning for life after Covid.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

I know Wakey getting a new ground or redevelopement is a meme at this point but if* they do make the proposed redevelopement, it will be a gamechanger for them. 

New stand with corporate facilities,  a 4 g pitch that can be rented out and used for community programs.  

Wakey (city not region) has a similar population to Wigan and new developement could make them a genuine top 6 challenger. 

One stand the full length of the pitch might make a slight difference.The standing terrace behind the sticks at the Belle Vue end is just about passable.But that still leaves half of the stadium i use the words loosley are not fit for purpose.Parking is a problem and since The early 1960's The Agbrigg and Belle Vue area have had an influx of the Asian community who love their cricket but have no interest in Rugby League.

30 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

But it would be progress commmercially and in exposure for the club. 

A stadium that is in use round the clock can bring in more in advertisement and sponsors due to the extra exposure that they will be getting from the extra users.  

Plus increased exposure to people of the area through use of ground and a positive narrative should have wakey aiming for 6-6500 average. 

Although i support Fev no one would take greater pleasure than me to see Trinity achieve the potential a city should have.I supported Trinity from 1956 until 1972/3.Getting on my bike when a youngster and watching training sessions which were open in those days I went to Wembley three times and saw Trinity get beat by Huddersfield in the Championship final when going for the 4 cups in a season only achieved at that time by Hunslet and Huddersfield.I was on good terms with a few of the Trinity Legends of that Period and for a time worked for the man who bankrolled Trinity prior to an early death in his early fifties Ronnie Fell.Trinity have underachieved for the last 50 years.A fresh start in a purpose built stadium with Health .Education and sporting facilities is the way forward .Go ahead and patch up the ground but in another 15 to 20 years it will be back to square one.I live in Sheffield and have done for over 25 years it would have been so easy to go back and watch Trinity in S.L but i am a Rover and am proud to be one.

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You can still plan Johnny.

Due to the split the RFLs strategy plan will be more cosmetic as they don’t have the control they had before it.  They are updating it though but don’t state what is updated.

I could be wrong but I don’t think SLE have a written plan on strategy.  Do they have one?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can we all refer to you as Dorothy from now on? 😉

I was waiting to see who would be the first. lol. 

11 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I know Wakey getting a new ground or redevelopement is a meme at this point but if* they do make the proposed redevelopement, it will be a gamechanger for them. 

New stand with corporate facilities,  a 4 g pitch that can be rented out and used for community programs.  

Wakey (city not region) has a similar population to Wigan and new developement could make them a genuine top 6 challenger. 

IF being the key word here

On 17/07/2021 at 14:42, Spidey said:

I missed it but plenty of noise that Mark Chapman announced that there will be no relegation from SL this year?  Does that mean no promotion either, or will It be a 13 or 14 team SL in 2022?

How long before the RL/SL contradicts or retracts the Chapman statement?

It is only fair they should advise the public one way or the other.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

How long before the RL/SL contradicts or retracts the Chapman statement?

It is only fair they should advise the public one way or the other.

Why's that ?

The game has a reputation for making snap decisions.  Or as the Government likes to call it "being agile".

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

You can still plan Johnny.

Due to the split the RFLs strategy plan will be more cosmetic as they don’t have the control they had before it.  They are updating it though but don’t state what is updated.

I could be wrong but I don’t think SLE have a written plan on strategy.  Do they have one?

Of course, that is what leadership is about. However, a plan and a strategy are entirely different things and I still contend that any firm strategy can disappear like a wisp of smoke within the next year.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

17 minutes ago, Griff said:

Why's that ?

The game has a reputation for making snap decisions.  Or as the Government likes to call it "being agile".

If there is no relegation from Super League and the Championship grand final winners are not allowed into Super League that will drive even more people away from the sport.

22 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yes because it means we can leave our Northern towns for a holiday to watch the game we love. Fev are not competing against England or GB.

Actually, there are 10s of thousands of tickets sold in the south east, so the point stands even taking into account people coming to London from the North (though it seems to suggest that London is more of a draw than Northern cities?). My point was to illustrate that 1) London is a huge market for our game but that 2) the Broncos is largely irrelevant to that - though there are of course valuable development benefits from having a pro pipeline down here. I for one would have no concerns about Fev being in SL ahead of London. They are a fantastic club. 

Archived