Relegation Off?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Catalans are a full member of SLE, not of the RFL though. 

Cheers Smudge.  So, given the RFL has the job of dishing out the brass, if they were to allow full status to Catalans would that end the TV deal ‘requirement’?

54 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Cheers Smudge.  So, given the RFL has the job of dishing out the brass, if they were to allow full status to Catalans would that end the TV deal ‘requirement’?

Don't get they would get full status at the RFL mate as they would be covered by the FFRXIII you'd think. 

24 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

With the PINGdemic getting worse and games getting called off left right and centre the league means nothing.

Who to?  It does to Leigh if they can get a few wins.  Tall order I know.  It also means a lot to the queue at the top of the Championship.  

But I will agree, to Wakey it means nothing. 😀

This will all settle down as soon as the contact isolation stops needing to happen. At the moment there are big businesses shutting down due to contact isolation, shops closing due to lack of staff, factories I know have decided to move their 2 week close down to stop them being affected (sure that was a popular move for anyone with holidays booked during the original close)... we are all in a "make do and mend" situation. 

The league is a challenge, but then so is everything at the moment, but it certainly doesnt mean nothing IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No not at all LD, it was an honest question.

It will be an interesting situation Harry.  

‘If’ TO get promoted and received the funding but Catalans would be without - a club that is developing young players, opening new training establishments, played Home games in the UK etc while other Clubs receiving funding spend the largest percentage it on players and little else.

19 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Steve, yes I saw that Bien Sports required more money from Catalans to further broadcast their games So by your judgement what does Mr Gausch do next, suffer financially or ask SL to fund it?

Harry, I don't think with the greatest of respect you are taking the situation seriously........

"Talks  about a new broadcasting deal is the sport’s biggest source of income and the lifeblood of its clubs.  Sky is considering cutting back investment in rugby league, with a figure of  potentially £28m to £30m a year. One club told i that if their funding is slashed by such a large figure that  “It would be the death of I’d say half the Championship and League 1 clubs in their current guise” . Another club confirmed that a reduction of broadcast money of that size would mean “the game will lose up to half of its clubs. The  RFL received a £16m emergency loan from the government......."

This was Davison reporting before the talks with SKY and we didn't even get the figure suggested. These were club chairman predicting half the league would go, so can you see Superleague paying well in excess of £15,000 a match to Mr Gausch? Didn't they fall out over Folau anyway? 

The situation is clubs have to pay the government £16 Million back when they have had very little business income this last two seasons. Huge debts Harry..........I read that even people like Mr. Pearson at Hull may not be able to go on......

4 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Harry, I don't think with the greatest of respect you are taking the situation seriously........

"Talks  about a new broadcasting deal is the sport’s biggest source of income and the lifeblood of its clubs.  Sky is considering cutting back investment in rugby league, with a figure of  potentially £28m to £30m a year. One club told i that if their funding is slashed by such a large figure that  “It would be the death of I’d say half the Championship and League 1 clubs in their current guise” . Another club confirmed that a reduction of broadcast money of that size would mean “the game will lose up to half of its clubs. The  RFL received a £16m emergency loan from the government......."

This was Davison reporting before the talks with SKY and we didn't even get the figure suggested. These were club chairman predicting half the league would go, so can you see Superleague paying well in excess of £15,000 a match to Mr Gausch? Didn't they fall out over Folau anyway? 

The situation is clubs have to pay the government £16 Million back when they have had very little business income this last two seasons. Huge debts Harry..........I read that even people like Mr. Pearson at Hull may not be able to go on......

Hi Steve, I was just responding to your statement that Mr Guasch considered the screening of Catalans as a nessacity to avoid suffering 'financial risk', now considering that Bien Sports want an increase from Catalan to carry on broadcasting and it is deemed unaffordable by Mr Guasch, what is the next course of action he should take, leave well alone and hope it does not impact as much as he is considering it will, or go cap in hand to SL for extra distribution monies.

I am well aware of the financial situation our clubs in SL find themselves, but I also have very grave concerns of what the consequences could be for clubs below SL.

Let me throw it back to you with another alternative, if push comes to shove who should the SL back with the funding available the French clubs or the Championship and League 1 clubs?

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Let me throw it back to you with another alternative, if push comes to shove who should the SL back with the funding available the French clubs or the Championship and League 1 clubs?

Neither - It's not "who the SL clubs should back" Harry.........

They have themselves to back don't they? They will want IMHO every penny from this new but small deal. If I was in charge I'd keep Catalans on the basis they are there to nurture French talent and keep the game alive in France. I am sure many SL bosses who don't like Mr. Gausch would tell me it's an English TV deal for English clubs.

I can only suggest people like Lenegan, McManus, Moran, Caddick and Davey have the money to ride the disaster. I think Beaumont is ready to join them again next year. He's very happily played a Championship team and lost all the games, so I think he has the money to stay in if not the results.

Wiill the Hull clubs merge? Hudgell stepped back and Pearson indicated very recently he could not afford Hull on his own? This disaster is a great way to force such a merger? That would give us seven starters for SL 2022. Would Cas and Wakey even merge? Wakey do their ground up and Cas move in "Calder" anyone?  Clearly Mr. Kurdie at Newcastle has ambition and money and so maybe does Mr. Hughes who is moving to a sizeable London stadium. A good clue......

I'm so sorry Harry....That sounds like one of the hundreds of fantasy posts people make from the heart hoping the game will take off across the globe. All I have done though is look where the money needed to stay a professional game potentially remains, to keep the game afloat......

1 hour ago, steve oates said:

The situation is the clubs who borrowed it must repay it, I know we didn’t take any at Leigh and still have a very good cash situation

Ive just read Beaumont's statement regarding Leigh and I have to say I really fear for them next season and the knock on effects of this season. He says he has money to spend but nobody will deal so in my eyes the best thing that can happen to them is to get relegated as soon as possible so they can start assembling a squad to try and win the Championship. As it is most championship teams have deals now in place for next season for their main players and with less money on offer players are wanting to take what they can get as quick as possible. An unfortunate affect is that Leigh will have to pay over the odds for bang average players that clubs don't want and this could set them back at least a couple of seasons as you simply can not see them competing with whichever of Toulouse and Fev that don't go up.

Thanks Craiq. you confirm Leigh are in good financial shape. Thank you also Spidey for confirming the RL said there are "no plans in place" to change P&R.....

But of course there are "no plans in place"  and I would add "no plans in place" to change the the league format either to 2x10. Both simply because it's July and the clubs do not meet until August to discuss plans for 2022......

Thanks to Ox for your views on Leigh, but I just don't buy it one bit that Beaumont filled in at 12th. place this year just to do SL a favour and he would take the consequences that could see him back in the championship for a couple of years.

Was it more double speak when Beaumont talked about signing players late season to try to get off the bottom of Superleague even though they don't have a point on the board?

We should remember Salford won't have a superleague ground 2022 if they are going to Moor Lane. That on it's own can see Leigh stay up and either TO or Fev get the promotion spot.

either only because again 2022 has not beib discussed 

the August meeting over the changes 

However the situation was that the clubs have not discussed next season 

An RFL spokesperson said: “There is no change – it’s still one up, one down.

“There has been acknowledgement from Super League, and an emphasis from us, that Championship clubs can’t be blamed (for the impact of COVID) and that promotion can’t be affected.”No change, still one up 

11 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Do we think they just rock up at meetings and discuss things that crop up outta the blue and make decisions on the spot or do we think stakeholders submit items to the agenda weeks prior to the meeting. 

I do apologise to everyone for leaving some "notes" at the bottom of my post and not deleting before posting. 

Superleague put 2x10 and the cutting adrift of small clubs on a previous agenda well before this meeting. IIRC the small clubs rallied behind Mark Sawyer and Kevin Nicholas.

On 20/07/2021 at 15:29, Lowdesert said:

I suspect that the constitution of the RFL doesn't provide for them getting full membership. In which case the question is moot.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, steve oates said:

I know this is a technicality but, strictly, the loan was made to the RFL with terms unknown. They ten granted loans to individual clubs on request, so there is a chain of payments when they eventually fall due.

If only one of them had got a PPE contract the problem would have been solved.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ive just read Beaumont's statement regarding Leigh and I have to say I really fear for them next season and the knock on effects of this season. He says he has money to spend but nobody will deal so in my eyes the best thing that can happen to them is to get relegated as soon as possible so they can start assembling a squad to try and win the Championship. As it is most championship teams have deals now in place for next season for their main players and with less money on offer players are wanting to take what they can get as quick as possible. An unfortunate affect is that Leigh will have to pay over the odds for bang average players that clubs don't want and this could set them back at least a couple of seasons as you simply can not see them competing with whichever of Toulouse and Fev that don't go up.

Some clubs, possibly, but not most clubs by a long chalk. Without any clear insight into what their budgets might be for 2022 many clubs are holding back in offering contracts to anybody.

Archived