Aidan Sezer to Leeds

Big loss for Huddersfield although I know that's stating the bleeding obvious.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

I think Sezer was on marquee money at Hudds, so you’d have to expect he’d be on even more at Leeds. Worth it? Who knows, but there is a distinct lack of quality half-backs available at the moment.

I do however find it a bit strange to pair Sezer and Gale. They seem very similar, and I thought Leeds would be looking for one of their halves to have more a running threat in the mould of an Austin or Dufty.

I think a good move for Leeds here and a huge loss to Hudds, who are already struggling. 

I wonder if George Williams ever came into the equation for Leeds, but personally I would have plumped for Sezer anyway, as much as I dislike choosing Aussies over British players. If anything it reinforces how far behind the Aussies we are in the half backs, given Williams is an international and Sezer wouldn't get near the Aussie team in a month of Sundays

7 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

I think a good move for Leeds here and a huge loss to Hudds, who are already struggling. 

I wonder if George Williams ever came into the equation for Leeds, but personally I would have plumped for Sezer anyway, as much as I dislike choosing Aussies over British players. If anything it reinforces how far behind the Aussies we are in the half backs, given Williams is an international and Sezer wouldn't get near the Aussie team in a month of Sundays

Wait, you do realise Sezer was let go by Canberra to make way for Williams, right? 

He's a great signing for Leeds and i'm not worried that he's too similar to Gale, but make no mistake about it if Leeds could've tied down Williams that would've been their preference. 

Next season will be the first i'd consider Leeds true contenders since around 2015 - and yes I know they won it in 17' but that was all just very odd to be honest. 

This has long been trailed and Leeds were always likely to get one of him, Williams or Austin.

He's a class player but as said we have to hope that he can make a partnership with Gale work.

The statement last week from Hetherington was interesting primarily in how he said Leeds management had decided to grow out of the pandemic rather than cutting key budgets to balance the books. Keeping the playing budget intact is part of that.

Assuming Sezer is marquee that still leaves open the future of the sole current marquee player Konrad Hurrell who is unlikely to be retained on the same salary as before, if the club still needs or wants him at all given they may have settled on a Newman/ L Sutcliffe first choice centre partnership.

3 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

How many halves do Leeds need? They already have Gale, Sutcliffe, Myler, Lui, McLelland and Leeming. I would presume they must be cutting a fair few of them

Lui is already leaving, Leeming is a 9, Sutcliffe and Myler are utility players. McLelland could well be on his way i'd think. 

12 minutes ago, M j M said:

This has long been trailed and Leeds were always likely to get one of him, Williams or Austin.

He's a class player but as said we have to hope that he can make a partnership with Gale work.

The statement last week from Hetherington was interesting primarily in how he said Leeds management had decided to grow out of the pandemic rather than cutting key budgets to balance the books. Keeping the playing budget intact is part of that.

Assuming Sezer is marquee that still leaves open the future of the sole current marquee player Konrad Hurrell who is unlikely to be retained on the same salary as before, if the club still needs or wants him at all given they may have settled on a Newman/ L Sutcliffe first choice centre partnership.

How is Matt Prior not on a marquee salary and Hurrell is? The latter is stealing a living at marquee pay levels

15 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Wait, you do realise Sezer was let go by Canberra to make way for Williams, right? 

He's a great signing for Leeds and i'm not worried that he's too similar to Gale, but make no mistake about it if Leeds could've tied down Williams that would've been their preference. 

Next season will be the first i'd consider Leeds true contenders since around 2015 - and yes I know they won it in 17' but that was all just very odd to be honest. 

I didn't know the exact reason for Canberra jettisoning Sezer was to make way for Williams, I just thought it was a natural crossover with one leaving and one joining. Still, I'd take Sezer right now, but only my opinion and Williams could easily tear it up when he starts 

17 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Lui is already leaving, Leeming is a 9, Sutcliffe and Myler are utility players. McLelland could well be on his way i'd think. 

All the more likely surely to let a utility player go ?  I'd have thought Hurrell too.

Too many cooks... possibly.

49 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not a great sign for McLelland really, how much longer is he willing to be a back up back up?

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

All the more likely surely to let a utility player go ?  I'd have thought Hurrell too.

Too many cooks... possibly.

Sutcliffe is contracted to 2024 so he'll not be leaving. You could be right about Myler, I doubt they'll renew him again after his latest contract ends next season. Hurrell is an interesting one - he's never been worth the Marquee money he signed for and won't get that money anywhere else, so i'd say it seems highly likely he will re-sign but on a much reduced sum.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

https://www.totalrl.com/leeds-rhinos-secure-zane-tetevano-as-marquee-man/

30 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah he's turned into the new Jordan Lilley it appears - a shame really because he seemed like a great prospect 2 years ago.

Mclelland has had chances but has not taken them. If he had been fit for this first half of the season then who knows, but he’s like Lilley championship std realistically.

37 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Sutcliffe is contracted to 2024 so he'll not be leaving. You could be right about Myler, I doubt they'll renew him again after his latest contract ends next season. Hurrell is an interesting one - he's never been worth the Marquee money he signed for and won't get that money anywhere else, so i'd say it seems highly likely he will re-sign but on a much reduced sum.

If Myler is playing  well still this tine next year and keeps the fullback shirt its likely he will renew. Walker has a lot of catching up to do to displace Myler at Fullback and is so biscuit boned likely he will be injured again in no time. 

I think that is an excellent signing for Leeds, he’s a far better scrum half than Fages. I don’t really know what Huddersfield are expecting from Theo, but he must be on a decent deal when he moves over to Fartown. I don’t think he’ll be a marquee signing though. 

28 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Mclelland has had chances but has not taken them. If he had been fit for this first half of the season then who knows, but he’s like Lilley championship std realistically.

He was one of the reason why Featherstone went on a strong run in 2019. 

I see him more of a bottom half of SL / top championship player.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

3 hours ago, M j M said:

The statement last week from Hetherington was interesting primarily in how he said Leeds management had decided to grow out of the pandemic rather than cutting key budgets to balance the books.

How do you explain them making the performance analyst redundant just a few weeks ago?

39 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

How do you explain them making the performance analyst redundant just a few weeks ago?

don't know but the comment said key budgets. Maybe he see's performance analyst key enough although exactly a performance analyst does I don't know. It its just collating the various data and presenting then that can be done on a contract with data analysis company.

If its analysing the data and helping to improve the player by coaching then that's different.

5 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I think Sezer was on marquee money at Hudds, so you’d have to expect he’d be on even more at Leeds. Worth it? Who knows, but there is a distinct lack of quality half-backs available at the moment.

I do however find it a bit strange to pair Sezer and Gale. They seem very similar, and I thought Leeds would be looking for one of their halves to have more a running threat in the mould of an Austin or Dufty.

Lui looks a like union tighthead prop never mind a league half. I assume they realise he is net going to get into any kind of decent shape and move him into out

Archived