Replacement for Australia

50 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I don't disagree with the gist of your post but we know that beating Australia is the ultimate goal. That would mean 100 times more than any figures or anything else.

We can't play them if they won't accept the invitation.

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve got 7 RL virgins coming with me from Norfolk with me to see Australia v Fiji in Hull. Sold because they’ll get to see the world’s best rugby team of either code play in a World Cup. Not sure I’ll be able to explain why they should still want to go to Fiji v the Pitcairn Islands or whoever took Australia’s place. 

Just explain that Australia are hell bent on killing the game off in the  rest of the World so they can be just like fumbleball and claim they are the only ones that play it.

You can be confident that Fiji vs USA will be a far more entertaining game than any RaRa game they've ever seen. 

15 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Yes there is a lot of great teams in the Pacific and entertainment to be had but the general public want a clash of major sporting nations. 

Well they'll get all but one of the top ten nations.

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yes diehards know that Tonga are now a powerhouse but to a neutral it wouldn't automatically register.

Wait till they see them play.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve got 7 RL virgins coming with me from Norfolk with me to see Australia v Fiji in Hull. Sold because they’ll get to see the world’s best rugby team of either code play in a World Cup. Not sure I’ll be able to explain why they should still want to go to Fiji v the Pitcairn Islands or whoever took Australia’s place. 

Simple really. Tell them that the Australian clubs have no interest in building the sport outside of their own little NRL bubble, all they are interested in is making money and dont care about the players welfare, wants or needs. So because they are such ignorant morons we have had to invite another country who`s players and administrators are desperate to be there, they want to take part in a celebration of RL around the world and will enjoy every single moment of it for what it is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Wait till they see them play.

yes agree... and the thing is neutrals wouldnt think Fiji or samoa would be fantastic 7s teams but they are, or samoa in 1991 in the RU world cup (sorry) which made people stand up and take notice.. 

The neutral may not think Tonga are a world class outfit but let them watch 20 minutes of the game.. then its different. 

• Like 1

well if they don't come whomever wins the WC can then play a 3 game series against Australia... in Australia if necessary.  Could be a good sell...

a bit like boxing if you win one world title you then offer an invitation to unite the titles

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Most of the joy if the 2013 WC was watching the smaller nations play - some great matches and great entertainment and that's what its all about at the end of the day.

As an other poster said on her, Australia arnt a big RL draw as theu are clinical on the verge of boring so its not the biggest loss if they don't attend.

You need both though ideally. Plucky underdogs enjoying the adventure- I went to many games during the 2013 WC - but we also need the very best there too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

I think Australia should be concentrating on trying to beat Tonga as they can't seem to manage that can they.

Being facetious doesn’t help matters, the reality is Australia can tear everyone a new one on their day if they want. Which is why it would be a huge achievement to win it with them in .

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Depending on how World Cups are structured England could conceivably win the comp without playing Australia - would that be okay?

That would be just the luck of the draw but in a competition like ours, the chances of it happening are slim to none.

10 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Being facetious doesn’t help matters, the reality is Australia can tear everyone a new one on their day if they want. Which is why it would be a huge achievement to win it with them in .

Unless, it seems its Tonga🤣🤣

10 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

That would be just the luck of the draw but in a competition like ours, the chances of it happening are slim to none.

It’s quite feasible actually.  England beat New Zealand in one Semi, Tonga beat Australia in the other, both teams have beaten the others recently

• Like 1

Its alright saying watch them for 20 minutes and they'll think differently. You are thinking with a RL fan or enthusiastic sports fan mentality, the difficultly is getting the general Punters interested and excited about the Cook Islands or Tonga rather than the Australia's and United States of the world. 

27 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

That doesn’t alter the fact that it’s still them we want to beat most of all.

That doesn't alter the fact that we can't beat them if they don't turn up.

If they won't play us, our only options are to play someone else or not at all.

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 3

Does anyone remember the 1997 series against Australia and how they didn’t wear the traditional kangaroo kit? Because it wasn’t a bona fide Australia?

I would have taken a series win believe me but it was definitely, absolutely, tainted by them not being the ‘proper Australia’. I still wouldn’t have cared at the time if they’d won mind. But…

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

In 2013 I went to about 10 WC games.  The one I enjoyed the most was the cook islands v usa in Bristol.

I actually think your more likely to get converts in a 32 v 28 Fiji cook islands end to end game than a 68 v 4 one sided non contest

• Like 3

On 19/07/2021 at 17:32, Gerrumonside ref said:

Not much of a competition to declare the world champions without them I’m afraid.

Of course it is. 

America love to declare themselves world champions all the time,

You have to be in it to win it, if you pull out you cant moan when your not the champions anymore!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crashmon said:

In 2013 I went to about 10 WC games.  The one I enjoyed the most was the cook islands v usa in Bristol.

I actually think your more likely to get converts in a 32 v 28 Fiji cook islands end to end game than a 68 v 4 one sided non contest

While I understand your point and generally agree….I’ve seen games in the Pennine League that were fantastic. It doesn’t mean you can apply that logic to a WC, which is supposed to involve the best teams on the planet. Not having the best one involved is a sizeable hole in that.

NB arguments about Australia not being the best are akin to Scottish football fans arguing they were world champions because they beat England shortly after the 1966 WC win……ie desperate.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

While I understand your point and generally agree….I’ve seen games in the Pennine League that were fantastic. It doesn’t mean you can apply that logic to a WC, which is supposed to involve the best teams on the planet. Not having the best one involved is a sizeable hole in that.

NB arguments about Australia not being the best are akin to Scottish football fans arguing they were world champions because they beat England shortly after the 1966 WC win……ie desperate.

Haha so the last Olympics was tainted for no russian involvement?

Same for previous tournaments who had countrys sit out USA did once didnt they?

You beat the teams / people who are competing and the winner is declared national/world champion end of

12 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Haha so the last Olympics was tainted for no russian involvement?

Same for previous tournaments who had countrys sit out USA did once didnt they?

You beat the teams / people who are competing and the winner is declared national/world champion end of

Yes, of course it was - and that is the genuinely world wide Olympics. But yeah, RL can easily brush off the withdrawal of its major nation. 🤔
The reason the Olympics or the football WC can cope with withdrawals is that they are genuinely world wide. I appreciate RL fans have passion for the game but this craziness has got to be put into check.

Perhaps I’ve been on drugs for the last 25 years or so and been in a different universe, but I always noticed how Australia usually win everything when it matters and provide umpteen players for most of the other developing nations in RLWC’s. 

• Like 1