3 hours ago, DavidM said:

It’s like the equivalent of that really really cold snap in winter with everything frozen .  Most of the time though it’s nice and goldilocks 

The thing with a winter snap is you can always wrap up. With the heat you can only take a certain amount of and then it becomes socially unacceptable. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Sorry mate 

And I work with my brother in law , who is a plasterer , so spend 65% of the job inside , but moans " it's too hot , it's too cold , everything's wet " , I just have to put up with whatever it throws at me 😉 , all at 60 yrs old as well 

10 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

The thing with a winter snap is you can always wrap up. With the heat you can only take a certain amount of and then it becomes socially unacceptable. 

Just stick your t shirt and hat under the tap , then off you go again , about 2 weeks back I was working in constant rain all day , soaked through to the ' undies ' , but it was warm , so it's manageable , wet and cold is something completely different 

46 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No , they're hot on the outside but cool on the inside , the opposite of an oven 

Ah, so you build really badly-designed big ovens? :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

after sitting on a leather sofa in my underpants for 2 hours i now know how that guy in the 70s solvite wallpaper paste ad must have felt!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The last time I was in Berlin there was a heatwave and temperatures were pushing 40.

I decided to visit the cathedral again and went up to the top of one of the towers where you can walk round it outside. Between the walkway and the fall to your death is a wall with copper sheeting on top of it.

I asked someone to take a picture of me with Alexanderplatz in the background.

I leant on the copper.

I have a picture of me screaming in pain at the top of Berlin Cathedral with the Fernsehturm and Alexanderplatz behind me and I'm pretty sure I still have the scars on my elbow to prove it!

How were the acoustics ?  😆

15 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Including coming on here?

Outside is a carpenter hand sawing plaster boards.

18 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Not really , I put steel tiles on conservatory roofs , basically yesterday everything I touched was burning my hands and knees , but it still has to be done 

13 hours ago, tim2 said:

I was transferring aircraft once at Abu Dhabi airport at about 2pm. Workers were outside in 40C building a new terminal building.

The worst 10 ( or so ) years of my working life were at a metal works. As well as the uncaring management, unsafe conditions, backstabbing supervisors and foremen that fiddled the books to keep a chunk of your shift bonus for themselves ( we eventually discovered ) we worked 2 foot away from molten metal at over 400c, in boiler suits. *

That CSE 2 in woodwork I left school with really came in useful :kolobok_locomotive:

* I know other blokes in other industries had it worse

23 hours ago, tim2 said:

I was transferring aircraft once at Abu Dhabi airport at about 2pm. Workers were outside in 40C building a new terminal building.

I'd hazard a guess that the workers were migrants and weren't exactly being well looked after.

18 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

And I work with my brother in law , who is a plasterer , so spend 65% of the job inside , but moans " it's too hot , it's too cold , everything's wet " , I just have to put up with whatever it throws at me 😉 , all at 60 yrs old as well 

Ah  retirement , Life of Bloody Riley. 😉

22 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The last time I was in Berlin there was a heatwave and temperatures were pushing 40.

I decided to visit the cathedral again and went up to the top of one of the towers where you can walk round it outside. Between the walkway and the fall to your death is a wall with copper sheeting on top of it.

I asked someone to take a picture of me with Alexanderplatz in the background.

I leant on the copper.

I have a picture of me screaming in pain at the top of Berlin Cathedral with the Fernsehturm and Alexanderplatz behind me and I'm pretty sure I still have the scars on my elbow to prove it!

But a tremendous view of Der Hauptstadt no doubt?

28 minutes ago, meast said:

But a tremendous view of Der Hauptstadt no doubt?

An amazing view of all the city, especially out to the west where you can see the lesser visit communications tower, the Funkturm and the American listening station at Teufelsburg. Then look the other way and just in front of you is the Soviet Fernsehturm. Fascinating to just stand smack in the middle of the Cold War. I've missed it since we've not been allowed to travel as much... Sigh...

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

An amazing view of all the city, especially out to the west where you can see the lesser visit communications tower, the Funkturm and the American listening station at Teufelsburg. Then look the other way and just in front of you is the Soviet Fernsehturm. Fascinating to just stand smack in the middle of the Cold War. I've missed it since we've not been allowed to travel as much... Sigh...

I can't wait to get back, It's my favourite place, I could spend days strolling around soaking in all the history on every street and building.

The walk down Unter den Linden from Alexanderplatz to Pariser Platz is just sensational, well apart from the gormless tourists lapping up all the bits of concrete, probably made in a factory in Rummelsburg no doubt 🙂

4 hours ago, meast said:

Good old British moaning about the weather.

Let's keep our stereotypes shall we 🙂

Absolutely! :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, meast said:

I can't wait to get back, It's my favourite place, I could spend days strolling around soaking in all the history on every street and building.

The walk down Unter den Linden from Alexanderplatz to Pariser Platz is just sensational, well apart from the gormless tourists lapping up all the bits of concrete, probably made in a factory in Rummelsburg no doubt 🙂

My favourite place in the world as well, I truly love Berlin. People ask me why and I say its because the air is thick with the history. The Holy Romans, the Prussians, Napoleon,  the German Empire, Hitler, the Cold War, every little corner of the city has a story to tell and every story is just fascinating.

Out of interest, what is your favourite area of the city? A tough question I know. Obviously other than Mitte which is the obvious choice, I do like Charlottenburg and the area around there and in terms of beauty I have to throw Zehlendorf and Dahlem in there, gorgeous tree lined streets and mansions as well as all the waterways and forests. For grittiness and a feeling of really getting in touch with the true city I think you have to head to somewhere like Alt-Treptow, Friedrichshain or Lichtenberg, the heart of East Berlin where it is just wide avenues and lines and lines of Soviet concrete tower blocks. 

Sorry, I'm getting very excited, I'll shut up, I could talk for years about Berlin! 😁

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

My favourite place in the world as well, I truly love Berlin. People ask me why and I say its because the air is thick with the history. The Holy Romans, the Prussians, Napoleon,  the German Empire, Hitler, the Cold War, every little corner of the city has a story to tell and every story is just fascinating.

Out of interest, what is your favourite area of the city? A tough question I know. Obviously other than Mitte which is the obvious choice, I do like Charlottenburg and the area around there and in terms of beauty I have to throw Zehlendorf and Dahlem in there, gorgeous tree lined streets and mansions as well as all the waterways and forests. For grittiness and a feeling of really getting in touch with the true city I think you have to head to somewhere like Alt-Treptow, Friedrichshain or Lichtenberg, the heart of East Berlin where it is just wide avenues and lines and lines of Soviet concrete tower blocks. 

Sorry, I'm getting very excited, I'll shut up, I could talk for years about Berlin! 😁

Mitte is lovely, but all districts have their own distinct charm, I like the little squares and tree lined streets around Charlottenburg, love the charm and nostalgia around Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichshain and Pankow, yeah the areas of the East are great in a macabre sort of way.

I've visited a few areas watching football, I liked it around Lichterfelde/Lankwitz, would love to explore a bit more, maybe Schönberg too, but you can't beat the atmosphere and buzz around Köpenick when Union are playing at home!

Just a fantastic place, by the way, if you haven't already, try and visit the Heyn mansion up in Pankow, it's brilliant

https://www.museumsportal-berlin.de/en/museums/museum-pankow-heynstrae-8/

7 hours ago, meast said:

Mitte is lovely, but all districts have their own distinct charm, I like the little squares and tree lined streets around Charlottenburg, love the charm and nostalgia around Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichshain and Pankow, yeah the areas of the East are great in a macabre sort of way.

I've visited a few areas watching football, I liked it around Lichterfelde/Lankwitz, would love to explore a bit more, maybe Schönberg too, but you can't beat the atmosphere and buzz around Köpenick when Union are playing at home!

Just a fantastic place, by the way, if you haven't already, try and visit the Heyn mansion up in Pankow, it's brilliant

https://www.museumsportal-berlin.de/en/museums/museum-pankow-heynstrae-8/

Köpenick is a very good call. I've only been once myself and not when Union were playing. Similar sort of feel to it as some other outlying areas in that you feel like you're just in a small country town, not in a suburb of one of the biggest cities in Europe. All those outlying suburbs have such a relaxed atmosphere, cobbled, tree-lined streets, little cafes with tables outside, gorgeous little chapels and, as you said the little squares usually with just a couple of market stalls. There's always a tiny museum to some local folk hero as well. I always feel Köpenick is very much forgotten by tourists which is maybe a good thing because it retains that more authentic atmosphere, it doesn't have gangs of marauding, fat Americans taking pictures of every cobble on the street and screaming, "holy ######!!" at everything over 50 years old. 

21 hours ago, Damien said:

I'd hazard a guess that the workers were migrants and weren't exactly being well looked after.

It's a strong possibility

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 20/07/2021 at 15:49, GUBRATS said:

Not really , I put steel tiles on conservatory roofs , basically yesterday everything I touched was burning my hands and knees , but it still has to be done 

I got to know up a family from Leeds who were heading to Adelaide at the same time as us in 2006.  The bloke worked for a roofing company and he managed to get a similar job in Oz.  I caught up with him in early 2007 and I asked him how work was going.  He told me he had jacked in the roofing job and was working for a company that erected gazebos because he just couldn’t cope with the intense heat coming off the corrugated roofing.  Apparantly it was so hot up there that when he sweated the sweat would hit the roof and start sizzling. 

4 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I got to know up a family from Leeds who were heading to Adelaide at the same time as us in 2006.  The bloke worked for a roofing company and he managed to get a similar job in Oz.  I caught up with him in early 2007 and I asked him how work was going.  He told me he had jacked in the roofing job and was working for a company that erected gazebos because he just couldn’t cope with the intense heat coming off the corrugated roofing.  Apparantly it was so hot up there that when he sweated the sweat would hit the roof and start sizzling. 

That happened to me today, it wasn't a corrugated roof but a ford transit dashboard 😌

I don't think I've seen my dad ever jump as high as he did when we came back to the car after a summer day in Salzburg and he didn't think before opening the door and sitting on the vinyl seat.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived