Wigan announce signings for 2022

47 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Hot news. Rugby team recruits....rugby players. 😁

Actually, a serious and independent critique might be interesting...if we can get one.

A bang average Championship winger & 2 NSW Cup forwards with a handful of NRL appearances,hoping the replacements for Gildart & Hastings are of a higher quality.

I’m sure Mago and Ellis are decent enough players, but hardly the kind of signings to inspire. At least they’re young and not over the Hill.

Had they of gone for Paul Vaughan instead of Ellis, that would have been a much better signing.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

A bang average Championship winger & 2 NSW Cup forwards with a handful of NRL appearances,hoping the replacements for Gildart & Hastings are of a higher quality.

Looks like cost cutting off the back of big losses during Covid.

Isn't Iain Thornley the replacement for Gildart?

Imagine Jai Field will be expected to cover Hastings' spot in 2022.

8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Looks like cost cutting off the back of big losses during Covid.

Isn't Iain Thornley the replacement for Gildart?

Imagine Jai Field will be expected to cover Hastings' spot in 2022.

Hastings,Gildart,Manfredi,Clubb,Bullock,Tommy all going you maybe be correct.

I’m hoping the Thornley rumour is just someone having a laugh to be honest and if we are relying on Field as a starting halfback we really are in serious trouble.

1 hour ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

I vaguely remember Mago and had to Google Ellis. Not quite as big nobodies as King when he signed for Leeds, but distinctly underwhelming if I was a Wigan fan.   

"if I was a Wigan fan." 

Its not not too late for your salvation. 😀😀

12 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Had they of gone for Paul Vaughan instead of Ellis, that would have been a much better signing.

On 4 July, Vaughan was placed under investigation by the NRL after it was alleged he hosted a house party along with eleven of his teammates which went against the league's biosecurity protocols, as well as a breach of the NSW stay-at-home orders.The following day, Vaughan was suspended for eight matches and fined $50,000 over the incident. It was also alleged that Vaughan withheld information from the NRL and NSW Police.

On 6 July, the St. George Illawarra board approved the termination of Vaughan's contract effective immediately. The illegal house party was one of three behavioural strikes against Vaughan.

I’m sure had Wigan signed Vaughan it would have given everybody a bigger stick to hit them with.

8 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

On 4 July, Vaughan was placed under investigation by the NRL after it was alleged he hosted a house party along with eleven of his teammates which went against the league's biosecurity protocols, as well as a breach of the NSW stay-at-home orders.The following day, Vaughan was suspended for eight matches and fined $50,000 over the incident. It was also alleged that Vaughan withheld information from the NRL and NSW Police.

On 6 July, the St. George Illawarra board approved the termination of Vaughan's contract effective immediately. The illegal house party was one of three behavioural strikes against Vaughan.

I’m sure had Wigan signed Vaughan it would have given everybody a bigger stick to hit them with.

Well, Ellis was apparently one of the 12 players at his party.. so the stick is there if some want to use it.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

13 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Aye Dav surplus to NRL requirements, Wigan were the trailblazers in bringing over good seasoned player's from the ARL/NRL that fans knew of and could recognise, for a club like Wigan to be shopping in the "sell by" aisle just shows where our game is heading.

31 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aye Dav surplus to NRL requirements, Wigan were the trailblazers in bringing over good seasoned player's from the ARL/NRL that fans knew of and could recognise, for a club like Wigan to be shopping in the "sell by" aisle just shows where our game is heading.

Where are the good players,  the top flight players from Australia?  The only good ones are ones previously in dispute.

All the traffic is going the other way and as soon as a player, usually created by Wigan, gets an offer that our Salary Cap cannot cover, they go to NRL or RU. Wigan players barely out, if not actually out, of the Academy are being snapped up by Wigan.

Thereafter the trail from Wigan ends up in Warrington.

If I may turn to my near neighbour, St Helens, they lost Luke Thompson to NRL.   Was their replacement a top notch alternative?

People need to get real, not least some Wigan fans.

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Where are the good players,  the top flight players from Australia?  The only good ones are ones previously in dispute.

All the traffic is going the other way and as soon as a player, usually created by Wigan, gets an offer that our Salary Cap cannot cover, they go to NRL or RU. Wigan players barely out, if not actually out, of the Academy are being snapped up by Wigan.

If I may turn to my near neighbour, St Helens, they lost Luke Thompson to NRL.   Was their replacement a top notch alternative?

Saints have managed to bring in quality from the NRL over the last few seasons,as have other clubs,we’ve managed French who was great last year but has missed nearly all of this season and I won’t even mention Burgess & Field.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Saints have managed to bring in quality from the NRL over the last few seasons,as have other clubs,we’ve managed French who was great last year but has missed nearly all of this season and I won’t even mention Burgess & Field.

Field suffered a freak injury in his first game so not quite in the Burgess category.

51 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Well they got Graham for the remainder of the 2020 season and then Paasi as the long term replacement, a Tongan International with over 100 NRL games under his belt. While I would have loved Thompson to stay i'd say they've done pretty well with their replacement.

Cant say I know much about Miski, but Mago I do think will turn out to be a pretty decent signing. In the games i've seen him play for Souths he's looked pretty good. Ellis is a bit of a strange one. Remember seeing him a few years back with Penrith and he looked a really good prospect, but he then just seemed to completely disappear from the game and TBH I didn't even know he'd signed for the Dragons. 50:50 whether he turns out to be a decent signing or not. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

42 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

In answer to your direct question about St Helens, I would say we managed to recruit well mid season to replace Luke Thompson. James Graham may not have been the player he was but he was still better than most and perhaps more importantly knew the club so fitted back in, it worked well. Long term the jury may be out but Paasi has looked very good at times this year and offers real impact. I would say so far we’ve done alright, 1 Grand Final and 1 Challenge Cup since Thompson left, but longer term we will see.

The problem for Wigan, IMHO, is a mix of quality and quantity along with misfortune with injuries. Sheer bad luck with the excellent but unfortunate Manfredi, Burgess on the face of it a good signing (I assume they were happy with his fitness) and Field amongst others who have missed chunks of the year.

Wigan’s pack has much talented youth but I would question just how much Singleton and Clubb offer as the experienced props. Not sure Bateman is yet up to his high standards but he will be, Farrell is just incredibly consistent but had to cover at centre (outstandingly so at times), Isa just looks like a moaning penalty machine to outsiders.

I think it is fair enough to question the clubs recruitment policy but time will tell, plenty of big names have come over and flopped and some “lesser lights” have looked wonderful.

As a fan of a rival club, I want Wigan and Leeds at their best.

37 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Field suffered a freak injury in his first game so not quite in the Burgess category.

Field was an average NSW cup player and was typical of Radlinski’s flawed recruitment policy.

Archived