Match Thread: Championship Round 14, Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 25th July

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Allegation from who? And it's obvious from the footage Gale never came close to contacting Keyes' head - it seems fairly clear the concussion stemmed from when he hit the ground after the ankle tap. In my opinion trying to link it to Gale's tackle is really poor.

And the Bulls feed deserves all the scorn and derision it's getting. Yes most Twitter accounts are biased towards their own club, but not so persistently and amateurishly as the Bradford one, and not making blatantly untrue claims about opponents' foul play.

It's clear to me that Keyes struck the ground with his head after the ankle tap. Apart from the apparent strip and delaying of the play the ball (which Keyes wasn't able to do) Gale did nothing wrong regarding foul play. I was at the match and just assumed the yellow card was for the ball steal and delaying further play. The referee was poor with signals throughout the game.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

It's clear to me that Keyes struck the ground with his head after the ankle tap. Apart from the apparent strip and delaying of the play the ball (which Keyes wasn't able to do) Gale did nothing wrong regarding foul play. I was at the match and just assumed the yellow card was for the ball steal and delaying further play. The referee was poor with signals throughout the game.

Yep agree with all that.
I thought on Sunday, apart from a couple of decisions which went our way early in the second half, we didn't get the rub of the green in terms of the officials' decisions, there were quite a few that went against us that I thought were very questionable.

To balance that, there have been two or three games this season where I very much thought we were very much the beneficiaries of a lot of tight calls. It's just the way it goes sometimes.

One minor thing I will add, when the away fans not only have to stand at one end but also miles away from the playing surface it takes away any chance they have to try and help their team in terms of trying to "help out" the officials, if you watch the footage of the first half there were two absolutely blatant forward passes by Bradford that if our fans had any sort of view they would have been united in shouting for them, I definitely think it has an impact on the touch judges when that happens.

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep agree with all that.
I thought on Sunday, apart from a couple of decisions which went our way early in the second half, we didn't get the rub of the green in terms of the officials' decisions, there were quite a few that went against us that I thought were very questionable.

To balance that, there have been two or three games this season where I very much thought we were very much the beneficiaries of a lot of tight calls. It's just the way it goes sometimes.

One minor thing I will add, when the away fans not only have to stand at one end but also miles away from the playing surface it takes away any chance they have to try and help their team in terms of trying to "help out" the officials, if you watch the footage of the first half there were two absolutely blatant forward passes by Bradford that if our fans had any sort of view they would have been united in shouting for them, I definitely think it has an impact on the touch judges when that happens.

Also the grey area is can you be penalised or sent off for delaying a play the ball when that particular player is unable to do so. So a sin bin for actually ripping the ball is a bit harsh. Having said that I suppose the ref would have been unaware that Keyes wasn't capable of a quick play the ball.

19 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Also the grey area is can you be penalised or sent off for delaying a play the ball when that particular player is unable to do so. So a sin bin for actually ripping the ball is a bit harsh. Having said that I suppose the ref would have been unaware that Keyes wasn't capable of a quick play the ball.

My guess is the ref called held so i don't have any problem with the sin binning, it was a clear break so would classify as a professional foul.

What bothers me are the widespread claims, from the Bulls' Twitter feed, some implications from their assistant coach, and also the Telegraph & Argos report, that Gale was involved in some sort of thuggish foul play, given the video seems totally clear that he wasn't.

On 22/07/2021 at 12:43, POR said:

Remember it well PH March 85 and think it was swinton funny thing hobbsy told us all in junction  on friday night before going down ponte all sworn to secrecy he said FEV couldn't turn down the cash and it's a lot more than what people think

Interesting thing he made his oldham debut on my birthday 31st march 1985🎂 against wigan and andy goodway the player he replaced at oldham

Swinton were in division 2 in 1984/85 and we didn't play them. From my recognition it was the home game against Hunslet when news came that David had departed. Or the Hunslet game was his last one. I seem to have memory of the former. 

17 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

Swinton were in division 2 in 1984/85 and we didn't play them. From my recognition it was the home game against Hunslet when news came that David had departed. Or the Hunslet game was his last one. I seem to have memory of the former. 

I stand corrected AV

12 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Allegation from who? And it's obvious from the footage Gale never came close to contacting Keyes' head - it seems fairly clear the concussion stemmed from when he hit the ground after the ankle tap. In my opinion trying to link it to Gale's tackle is really poor.

And the Bulls feed deserves all the scorn and derision it's getting. Yes most Twitter accounts are biased towards their own club, but not so persistently and amateurishly as the Bradford one, and not making blatantly untrue claims about opponents' foul play.

Firstly great ankle tap. 

But, Keyes head clearly doesn’t hit the ground and he rolls and attempts to get back up before Gale completes the tackle. If he’s injured before Gale comes in he doesn’t attempt to get back up. 

I’m not saying Gale meant it or that it cost Bradford the game or anything of that sort by the way. It was a great game and much better than our previous games (from my POV). 

Onwards to Halifax and the shay for us. Likely without any half backs. Another tough task.  I’ll definitely keep an eye on your game v Toulouse 

50 minutes ago, LongStandingBull said:

But, Keyes head clearly doesn’t hit the ground and he rolls and attempts to get back up before Gale completes the tackle. If he’s injured before Gale comes in he doesn’t attempt to get back up. 

The evidence is absolutely clear from the video footage that Gale did nothing wrong. He tackles Keyes round the waist and no part of his body comes anywhere near his head.

The only major impact in the whole incident is when Keyes falls to the ground. In my opinion his head did seem to hit the ground, shortly after his shoulder, but it's worth pointing out that concussions can happen without a direct blow to the head.

But regardless, that doesn't excuse people making blatantly false allegations about Gale having casued the concussion through dirty play as has been the case.  People are simply seeing that Keyes got a concussion and are pointing the finger at the tackler even though video evidence exonerates him of any wrongdoing. 

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

But regardless, that doesn't excuse people making allegations 

That I agree with. Referee dealt with it at the time and it’s a moot point now. I was in the seats so didn’t get a good view at the time but looking at the highlights I don’t think it’s as clear cut. As I say Keyes was getting up to continue his run after the ankle tap and was only left on the ground after contact from Gale. Appreciate I’m putting 2 and 2 together there but it’s not hard to see it in the heat of the moment. 

And when you compare it to ferres headbutt and throwing his arms in the face of two Bradford defenders you can understand why some people think the ref missed a few calls (I’d say missed calls for both sides but there we are)

FWIW I would like the media man and the commentator that just shouts like an oaf to wind it in a bit. 

ive read this forum for a while and want to be a bit more active so expect lots of points  to discuss in the future. I try to think I’m pretty fair (compared to that bullmania anyway) ha

On 27/07/2021 at 07:17, The Phantom Horseman said:

Allegation from who? And it's obvious from the footage Gale never came close to contacting Keyes' head - it seems fairly clear the concussion stemmed from when he hit the ground

Not obvious at all. The only part of Gale that could hit Keye’s jaw would be his rt hand. And it’s not visible when it goes behind Keye’s body. So only someone with X-ray vision could categorically state there was no contact. That would result in Keyes being concussed/unconscious before he hit the ground. Which, looking at the way he went down, seems more likely. But the video doesn’t show either POV unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, TrueBull said:

Not obvious at all. The only part of Gale that could hit Keye’s jaw would be his rt hand. And it’s not visible when it goes behind Keye’s body. So only someone with X-ray vision could categorically state there was no contact. That would result in Keyes being concussed/unconscious before he hit the ground. Which, looking at the way he went down, seems more likely. But the video doesn’t show either POV unfortunately. 

Absolute nonsense. On replay, it's obvious what happened.

1 hour ago, TrueBull said:

Case Number:

ON/871/21

Gareth Gale #5, Featherstone

Competition:

Championship

Match:

Bradford vs Featherstone

Match Date:

2021-07-25

Incident:

72nd minute

Decision:

Lifetime ban

Charge Detail:

Player extends his right hand Inspector Gadget-style whilst tackling Keyes round the waist, produces a knockout blow to the head, then retracts his right hand back to the player's waist whilst using his special Invisibility Superpower.

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Case Number:

ON/871/21

Gareth Gale #5, 

Player extends his right hand Inspector Gadget-style whilst tackling Keyes round the waist, produces a knockout blow to the head, then retracts his right hand back to the player's waist whilst using his special Invisibility Superpower.

Like this?

2BDFED0C-3943-440F-AB9B-0ED89A29CE93.jpeg

Would you like to retract any of your “ absolute certainty “ 100% nonsense and accept that only death and taxation are certain and there is a possibility that over the next few frames, when his rt arm goes behind Keyes head, there is a small chance of contact?

Accidental, of course, as I’m fairly sure he’s trying to lock up the ball

4 minutes ago, TrueBull said:

Would you like to retract any of your “ absolute certainty “ 100% nonsense and accept that only death and taxation are certain and there is a possibility that over the next few frames, when his rt arm goes behind Keyes head, there is a small chance of contact?

Accidental, of course, as I’m fairly sure he’s trying to lock up the ball

It's done with. Over. Whatever case you are trying to make, the match review panel do not agree. 

The line is now drawn

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

It's done with. Over. Whatever case you are trying to make, the match review panel do not agree. 

The line is now drawn

I'm not entirely sure you are following. I agree with the match review panel, yellow card sufficient. 

The two things I'm not comfortable with are the Bradford partisan view - "Gale deliberately and viciously set out to knock him unconscious" - which is patently nonsense

And the Featherstone partisan view - " Gale gently tackled him with his left arm whilst he'd carefully detached his right arm (like Insp Gadget) so there was a greater chance of the earth being swallowed by the sun rather than the miniscule possibility of accidental contact with his head...

24 minutes ago, TrueBull said:

As someone else has said, all moot now. Yellow card - whether for ball steal/professional foul or accidental contact with the head, it's all the same result. 

Apart from the clip with the ref brandishing the card and clearly signaling ball steal.

So, next.

First man on the moon. Some say it was Neil Armstrong. I say it was Mal Dixon.

But, all moot now, we'll never know. It's the same result.

2 hours ago, TrueBull said:

Eight point try to Bradford. There....you win😯😯😯

37 minutes ago, TrueBull said:

I'm not entirely sure you are following. I agree with the match review panel, yellow card sufficient. 

The two things I'm not comfortable with are the Bradford partisan view - "Gale deliberately and viciously set out to knock him unconscious" - which is patently nonsense

And the Featherstone partisan view - " Gale gently tackled him with his left arm whilst he'd carefully detached his right arm (like Insp Gadget) so there was a greater chance of the earth being swallowed by the sun rather than the miniscule possibility of accidental contact with his head...

Wow, this has real "fine, fine people on both sides" vibes.

The only reason this very unfortunate injury to Keyes has become an issue is because of the reaction on the Bradford side.

The Bulls' official Twitter account called it a "disgusting tackle".

Mark Dunning, whilst hiding behind "not wanting to be fined", has made it clear that he thought there was foul play..."the men in black...(laughs)...we'll leave it there...I've got mine (opinions) but they wouldn't be very popular with the powers that be."

The Telegraph and Argus on the incident: "The winger was sin-binned for what looked a forearm flop, although there were claims afterwards that a closed fist was involved."

And of course after those triplicate claims from "official" sources, it's no wonder the Bulls fans are on the rampage.

It's interesting to note that you are now campaigning for us to recognise that there may have been "accidental contact" with the head. Even if that were true, the damage has been done. But any sign of apologies from the people who stirred up the matter?

Archived