The Fantastic Five

marklaspalmas

Five kids with only a handful of professional rugby league matches between them did us proud at Wembley.

Last few minutes, a couple of strong drives from Joe Summers on his RL debut.

80 minutes in the middle at AHB and tackling between Jake sweeting (6th game ever) Harvey Spence (3rd match ever).

Two tries and a totally assured display from winger Jake Doyle (2nd match ever).

Hard graft over two spells in the middle from Loui McConnell (10th match ever).

Phenomenal achievement.

219538867_5846774645394450_7052203510982

At the start of the season I honestly didn't think any of those five lads would play a single minute for us. I thought most of them would spend the season on loan, probably in League 1.

When you look at the probable pecking order at the start of the season it might have been something like this
Hall, Gale, Hardcastle, Welham, Blackmore, Holmes, Brown/Chisholm, Kopczak, Jones, Harrison, Ferres, Day, Lockwood
subs Halton, Parata, Moors, Bussey

That means that possibly not even getting in the 17 would have been Brown/Chisholm, Davies, Minns, Cooper, Ferguson and Field, all of whom would be standout players in most Championship teams.

It's remarkable that all 5 of the youngsters played in a Wembley final.

11 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

At the start of the season I honestly didn't think any of those five lads would play a single minute for us. I thought most of them would spend the season on loan, probably in League 1.

When you look at the probable pecking order at the start of the season it might have been something like this
Hall, Gale, Hardcastle, Welham, Blackmore, Holmes, Brown/Chisholm, Kopczak, Jones, Harrison, Ferres, Day, Lockwood
subs Halton, Parata, Moors, Bussey

That means that possibly not even getting in the 17 would have been Brown/Chisholm, Davies, Minns, Cooper, Ferguson and Field, all of whom would be standout players in most Championship teams.

It's remarkable that all 5 of the youngsters played in a Wembley final.

Sadly we never saw anything like our full squad fit /available at the same time.  Seems a long time ago that we were discussing our best 17 and Websters selection headaches.  Anyway for what its worth I would have played Chizzy at prop rather than leave him out of the 17.

11 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Sadly we never saw anything like our full squad fit /available at the same time.  Seems a long time ago that we were discussing our best 17 and Websters selection headaches.  Anyway for what its worth I would have played Chizzy at prop rather than leave him out of the 17.

Indeed. FWIW I still think Webster was right to take him off/drop him after the Hull game. But his form since returning has been excellent and it's hard to imagine leaving him out of the 13 now. How you fit Dagger, Hall, Holmes, Brown and Chisholm all in the same team I'll leave to Webster!

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Indeed. FWIW I still think Webster was right to take him off/drop him after the Hull game. But his form since returning has been excellent and it's hard to imagine leaving him out of the 13 now. How you fit Dagger, Hall, Holmes, Brown and Chisholm all in the same team I'll leave to Webster!

That's a good problem to have but for me the solution is simple I would  pick our own lads first and leave dagger out

Archived