Sun 25 Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred Championship games here.

SUNDAY 25th JULY
Batley Bulldogs v Newcastle Thunder KO 15:00
Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers KO 15:00
London Broncos v Widnes Vikings KO 15:00
Sheffield Eagles v Halifax Panthers KO 12:30 at The Mobile Rocket Stadium, Wakefield
Whitehaven v Oldham KO 15:00
York City Knights v Swinton Lions KO 15:00

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a weekend that could just about decide the top 6 and relegation.

Batley Bulldogs v Newcastle Thunder - I thuink Batley win this one by about 16 points.
Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers - Bulls won't have a better chance to beat Fev with the wembley hangover and playing on the stamp. On form should be a Fev win but I can see an upset, Bradford by 13.
London Broncos v Widnes Vikings - London at home should have enough for Widnes. London by 12.
Sheffield Eagles v Halifax Panthers - Fax by 18.
Whitehaven v Oldham - Haven to win this and probably secure their place in the Championship next season. Haven by 14.
York City Knights v Swinton Lions - York should have too much despite Wembley. York by 6.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

This season is going to hell with these covid cases. If people have been vaccinated twice we need to crack on I´m afraid. 

People with 2 vaccinations are still catching it sadly.

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

True but what is the alternative.  Do this forever? If the risk of serious illness or death is heavily reduced I am not sure what the alternative is here but to attempt to transition bk to normality. 

Dont want this to get moved to politics or aob forum.  

Batley  (though I would like Newcastle,) Fev,  delay might help Widnes , Fax,  Haven and York get a must win. 

Agree, seems like cases are rising because more people are being jabbed. 

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

True but what is the alternative.  Do this forever? If the risk of serious illness or death is heavily reduced I am not sure what the alternative is here but to attempt to transition bk to normality. 

Dont want this to get moved to politics or aob forum.  

Batley  (though I would like Newcastle,) Fev,  delay might help Widnes , Fax,  Haven and York get a must win. 

I honestly don't know what to think anymore 

SUNDAY 25th JULY
Batley Bulldogs v Newcastle Thunder KO 15:00
Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers KO 15:00
London Broncos v Widnes Vikings KO 15:00
Sheffield Eagles v Halifax Panthers KO 12:30 at The Mobile Rocket Stadium, Wakefield
Whitehaven v Oldham KO 15:00
York City Knights v Swinton Lions KO 15:00

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

On 20/07/2021 at 22:13, The Daddy said:

Agree, seems like cases are rising because more people are being jabbed. 

Really, is that the cause?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 20/07/2021 at 22:13, The Daddy said:

Agree, seems like cases are rising because more people are being jabbed

Did you mean because more people are being tested?
Because if you really mean what you wrote, I can make an equally strong case - based on correlation equalling causation - that cases went up this week because more people were eating ice cream.

56 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Because if you really mean what you wrote, I can make an equally strong case - based on correlation equalling causation - that cases went up this week because more people were eating ice cream.

I think what he’s getting at is ‘jabbed’ people becoming complacent and catching it.

A lot of people on the news claiming they aren’t bothering with the jab seem to be eating an ice cream though!  I have no strong views other than imo they are to$$ers.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Even that theory would be wrong.....

On 20/07/2021 at 17:36, The Blues Ox said:

Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers - Bulls won't have a better chance to beat Fev with the wembley hangover and playing on the stamp. On form should be a Fev win but I can see an upset, Bradford by 13.

There have been a few weeks where I've thought Fev might be vulnerable recently and we've kept getting the job done, but it's true that Bradford won't have many better chances to beat us than this. We like to play a really fast game for Connor Jones and Dean Parata to exploit, but both will still be missing which really restricts our normal game plan, and the spaces that Brown and Chisholm like to exploit are going to be hard to find on the postage stamp with defenders practically standing next to each other.

Still hopeful we'll have too much quality for them but just hope it's not a game too many a week after the gruelling contest at Wembley.

On 21/07/2021 at 09:39, The Blues Ox said:

I would imagine that Widnes are pretty happy about the cancelation. Is likely a game London win so this keeps them in touch.

Widnes would've been at pretty much full strength. Can't be too common with the injury rate these days to have pretty much 100% of the squad available for selection.

I'm guessing (as I haven't seen any news on here about it) that 40 000 people mingling at Wembley last weekend hasn't led to a huge surge in Covid cases in St. Helens, Cas, Fev or York. So maybe there is something in this double vax/ testing people business.  

29 minutes ago, JonM said:

Widnes would've been at pretty much full strength. Can't be too common with the injury rate these days to have pretty much 100% of the squad available for selection.

I'm guessing (as I haven't seen any news on here about it) that 40 000 people mingling at Wembley last weekend hasn't led to a huge surge in Covid cases in St. Helens, Cas, Fev or York. So maybe there is something in this double vax/ testing people business.  

As it happens, my wife came down to London with me but didn't come to Wembley, instead going to a show. She was pinged yesterday to isolate from a contact over the weekend, I haven't been (yet, at least). Given we were together other than Saturday, we can only assume it was either from the tube or the theatre. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived