Sun 25 Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

The RFL should cover the cost of getting the Toulouse home games relocated to ensure the minimum needed, that would be a better compromise and show good will. All I'm looking at is the table and it looks mad as, 100% Toulouse and Fev and then the 2nd metric, they are 8 points behind!!! It's hideous looking.....

It is but Toulouse would probably have won all those games the RFL allowed to be postponed. Fev would have been a close contest of course but Toulouse would be favourites at home.

In the end, it is a race to SL is it not? If clubs in that race cannot hack one fixture causing minor disruption to their year, how the hell are they going to run a full-time squad and successfully compete in SL 4 months after winning the Championship?

As I said, Toulouse cannot be held to the 16 games rule and as Griff says, they are not because it is not their fault!

6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

If they don't need to, no one needs to. 

It's not a debate. If that's what you believe, that's fine.

But don't come back whining in September.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

The RFL planned for this exact situation and everyone could qualify within the rules.

Win percentage will decide league position and there is an exception to the 16 match requirement if you are in Toulouse's position and teams can't play you because of quarantine requirements.

It's not an ideal situation this season, but it's been planned for and seems to be working alright.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

It is but Toulouse would probably have won all those games the RFL allowed to be postponed. Fev would have been a close contest of course but Toulouse would be favourites at home.

In the end, it is a race to SL is it not? If clubs in that race cannot hack one fixture causing minor disruption to their year, how the hell are they going to run a full-time squad and successfully compete in SL 4 months after winning the Championship?

As I said, Toulouse cannot be held to the 16 games rule and as Griff says, they are not because it is not their fault!

No it's not Toulouse fault but looking beyond Toulouse it's not anyone's fault. 

But a fair compromise needs to be reached to achieve sporting integrity. 

I'm not that bothered, this isn't a Fev and Toulouse thing, it looks like they are both gonna get 1 and 2 and recieve the Playoff Bye, that is what matters.

Im looking at this from achieving sporting integrity for RL. At the moment we are not achieving that and so Toulouse and the RFL need to figure out a plan before the end of the regular season that is more satisfactory than letting anyone in the League just play whatever amount of games they feel like playing. 

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Cant believe after what NRL are doing to us we have people trying to damage a great opportunity for genuine expansion vía Toulouse. 

Hardly surprising after what they did to NA expansion.

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Cant believe after what NRL are doing to us we have people trying to damage a great opportunity for genuine expansion vía Toulouse. 

You think a few fans who chat on an Internet forum would cause damage? Is that how fragile this expansion is? Really.......if that's the case we seriously need to knock it on the head. 

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

As an aside, the Bulls' Twitter feed an absolute embarrasment for a semi-pro club once again...

Can’t see anything untoward on the official Bulls Twitter page. I’m intrigued now......

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

Yeah and we got all the 50/50 calls -apparently.

Nah. It was one of those refs where Bradford got the 50:50 calls in the first half, then Fev got them in the 2nd. 
The only big call I think he missed was the Ferres head butt on England. But the match review panel should sort that. 

42 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

To be fair it only seems to be Fev fans,I wonder why that is.

37 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Can’t see anything untoward on the official Bulls Twitter page. I’m intrigued now......

It's the blatantly one-eyed comments during the game, I know most clubs' accounts are a bit like this but they take it to extremes week after week. 

So today we had one of the Bradford players " booted in the head", another was the victim of a "disgusting" tackle, there was another incident where a Fev player was supposedly "throwing punches yet receives the penalty". Plus the usual "dubious forward pass" comments etc. It just comes across as a bit amateurish in my view, its the kind of thing you'd expect from a fan, not the club's official account 

20 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Usually because the expansion is at Fev’s expense. 
The thing which gets me is what you class as expansion getting more areas playing rugby league is expansion to me some people think you only achieve expansion if you are in SL.

13 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

No it's not Toulouse fault but looking beyond Toulouse it's not anyone's fault. 

But a fair compromise needs to be reached to achieve sporting integrity. 

I'm not that bothered, this isn't a Fev and Toulouse thing, it looks like they are both gonna get 1 and 2 and recieve the Playoff Bye, that is what matters.

Im looking at this from achieving sporting integrity for RL. At the moment we are not achieving that and so Toulouse and the RFL need to figure out a plan before the end of the regular season that is more satisfactory than letting anyone in the League just play whatever amount of games they feel like playing. 

"Whatever amount of games they feel like playing" big lol!

14 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

The RFL should cover the cost of getting the Toulouse home games relocated to ensure the minimum needed, that would be a better compromise and show good will. All I'm looking at is the table and it looks mad as, 100% Toulouse and Fev and then the 2nd metric, they are 8 points behind!!! It's hideous looking.....

What’s mad is Toulouse not being able to do play their biggest rivals at home and then having fans of that rival complaining about the number of games they’ll play.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

What’s mad is Toulouse not being able to do play their biggest rivals at home and then having fans of that rival complaining about the number of games they’ll play.

Quite.

Or complaining that they're not top even though they have a bigger points difference.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for Fev's position if they'd insisted on going to France to fulfil the fixture in Toulouse.

15 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

FEV fan's couldn't care less how many games TO have played we think us playing more and being battle hardened is an advantage the only thing were bothered about is  that we can watch FEV every week 

we can't wait for sunday

oh and smudger 06 who you quoted  isn't a FEV fan

14 minutes ago, Griff said:

Quite.

Or complaining that they're not top even though they have a bigger points difference.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for Fev's position if they'd insisted on going to France to fulfil the fixture in Toulouse.

You can't insist on breaking rfl and government policy and FEV had to cancel fllghts to La villa Rose that they had already booked

as for the league table all FEV fans are bothered  about is 

Played 13 Won 13 and hope at the end of the season it will say Played 21 Won 21 

15 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Except of course Toulouse entering SL isn't really expansion is it?  RL already exists in France.  The idea of letting Catalans into SL IIRC was to revive interest in the game in France, so that they could operate their own elite comp. and produce a competitive France international XIII.  This aim seems to have been lost. And TBH I can't see some of the lower level SL clubs being delighted at having to fund trips to France every season should Toulouse achieve SL status.  Which I'm pretty certain they will given all the tacit assistance they've received from the RFL.   I'd like to bet which way the 5r0/50's go on Sunday at POR.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Just now, Trojan said:

Except of course Toulouse entering SL isn't really expansion is it?  RL already exists in France.  The idea of letting Catalans into SL IIRC was to revive interest in the game in France, so that they could operate their own elite comp. and produce a competitive France international XIII.  This aim seems to have been lost. And TBH I can't see some of the lower level SL clubs being delighted at having to fund trips to France every season should Toulouse achieve SL status.  Which I'm pretty certain they will given all the tacit assistance they've received from the RFL.   I'd like to bet which way the 5r0/50's go on Sunday at POR.

I don't buy the TOXIII getting special treatment argument. They're victims of circumstance this season and I have no issue with the way the season and the table has panned out.

It's actually in the SL clubs' short term financial interest for Fev to go up and we know how SL can only see the ends of their noses. They'll much prefer a few hundred Rovers fans swelling the coffers than zero Toulouse fans and the cost of getting over there.

Hopefully on Sunday the table will correct itself and we'll have a massive crowd to celebrate our 1895 victory.

19 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah whats happened? I were stood with the Fax fans obviously. I draw the line at PC where signing about someones haircut is racism if thats what you are talking about? I were stood next to the stewards when they got the order to go and stand with our group of fans, they couldn't believe it either and I had a bit of a chat with one of them who didn't agree either. I thought they did a great job of handling a tricky situation to be fair to them and had a laugh and a joke with our fans.

I also talked to a lot of Fax fans on the way out and not a single one mentioned about been embarrassed by the fans behaviour.

It wasn't just his hair, though that was a bit crass. He was constantly on the end of abuse - and felt singled out for it too. I don't know where you were stood but a few different Fax fans near me told them to pack it in at various points, though not without some initial disagreement. I'm glad they did say something though and that they did eventually pack it in.

It felt uncomfortable to be honest and put a bit of a sour note on what was an entertaining game. Sadly it just felt a bit village idioty. I'm glad I didn't have mates who were newer fans to the game or were black or something with me because it would have been embarrassing and its not a feeling I like having at an RL game.

That a steward didn't know why he was being asked to do something is a poor reflection on him and his training really, not the chanting.

1 hour ago, POR said:

FEV fan's couldn't care less how many games TO have played we think us playing more and being battle hardened is an advantage the only thing were bothered about is  that we can watch FEV every week 

we can't wait for sunday

oh and smudger 06 who you quoted  isn't a FEV fan

You can't insist on breaking rfl and government policy and FEV had to cancel fllghts to La villa Rose that they had already booked

as for the league table all FEV fans are bothered  about is 

Played 13 Won 13 and hope at the end of the season it will say Played 21 Won 21 

But will there always be that asterisk against your record saying that you didn't fulfil the fixture in Toulouse ?

Archived