Sun 25 Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

It wasn't just his hair, though that was a bit crass. He was constantly on the end of abuse - and felt singled out for it too. I don't know where you were stood but a few different Fax fans near me told them to pack it in at various points, though not without some initial disagreement. I'm glad they did say something though and that they did eventually pack it in.

It felt uncomfortable to be honest and put a bit of a sour note on what was an entertaining game. Sadly it just felt a bit village idioty. I'm glad I didn't have mates who were newer fans to the game or were black or something with me because it would have been embarrassing and its not a feeling I like having at an RL game.

That a steward didn't know why he was being asked to do something is a poor reflection on him and his training really, not the chanting.

Niggly player gets subjected to nasty chants shocker. There were no doubt he were signalled out though after a grapple tackle on Saltonstall and then when he lost his rag and reacted the fans he were always going to be subjected to chants. In no way were those chants a reflection on the color of his skin though for that to even be sugested I thought was bad form.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Niggly player gets subjected to nasty chants shocker. There were no doubt he were signalled out though after a grapple tackle on Saltonstall and then when he lost his rag and reacted the fans he were always going to be subjected to chants. In no way were those chants a reflection on the color of his skin though for that to even be sugested I thought was bad form.

A chap I know well, and know without question is NOT a racist in any way shouted "make his eyes watta" towards a Bradford player of mixed race yesterday. His ethnicity was irrelevant. Yet he was reported for racist abuse which as you rightly suggest is utter bad form when it's not the case. It draws attention from real acts of racism not to mention the hurt and impact on the individual being accused.

I find that so bloody annoying

7 hours ago, POR said:

oh and smudger 06 who you quoted  isn't a FEV fan

Why would I care about who smudger supports and why is FEV in capitals ?  Is it some sort of acronym ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

That makes no sense. If Toulouse in SL increases the amount of money in the sport in France via attendances and commercial income of course that is expansion. Plus it´s a brand new rivalry game for France and a third fixture you can take on the road on Magic weekend. Toulouse in SL is an absolute no brainer and would be a huge boost for the sport. 

All they have to do is win the Play Off Final.

23 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Will you be there on Sunday cheering Toulouse on along with all the other fans on here? 

I will be there I'm really looking forward to it, my first match this season. A proper test for both teams. 

The problem for Toulouse is that there are not many people interested enough to pay money to watch them so they are totally dependent on their benefactor. They seem to be more popular with English fans on this forum than locals who mostly are mad keen Rugby Union fans.

In any case I always support English teams against overseas teams.

So I'm hoping for a Featherstone win on Sunday and a Featherstone promotion.

3 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Will you be there on Sunday cheering Toulouse on along with all the other fans on here? 

No. I'll be supporting my own club.

I don't care who wins as long as everyone gets a fair shot.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

The problem for Toulouse is that there are not many people interested enough to pay money to watch them so they are totally dependent on their benefactor. They seem to be more popular with English fans on this forum than locals who mostly are mad keen Rugby Union fans.

In any case I always support English teams against overseas teams.

So I'm hoping for a Featherstone win on Sunday and a Featherstone promotion.

I stood on the terraces for years as a kid at Featherstone, without away fans the core was around 2500 fans max and that was in the first division with international players. Why are people obsessed with what Toulouse might or might not get if they are in SL. Why is 2500 Toulouse fans worse than 2500 Featherstone fans or is it entirely based on how many away fans will rock up 10 miles down the road for a derby?

They got over 6000 for a Championship game in 2019 in the stadium that is now their permanent home. They have had no home games in 2 years despite winning over 20 consecutive league matches. How might that have helped boost interest?

Wigan drew 5,500 for a SL game last week. There aren't thousands and thousands of northern RL fans queuing up to watch RL club games any more. The only way to expand is new markets. The game is dying on its ass.

1 minute ago, DimmestStar said:

Big city Toulouse missed out on the SL place behind small town Perpignan based Catalans 15 years ago.

The reason? Nobody much likes Rugby League in Union obsessed Toulouse.

Toulouse played a home Play Off Semi Final in 2019 and there was more away fans there than home fans. If they do win the Play Offs this season I can't wait to see this massive influence they are going to have on SL.

10 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

That makes no sense. If Toulouse in SL increases the amount of money in the sport in France via attendances and commercial income of course that is expansion. Plus it´s a brand new rivalry game for France and a third fixture you can take on the road on Magic weekend. Toulouse in SL is an absolute no brainer and would be a huge boost for the sport. 

The same argument has been made for various "expansions"  where have they got us?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The original XIII Catalans used to get a few hundred people watching them before they were in Super League.

Honestly, the argument against Toulouse seems to be solely based on not having big well supported clubs 5 miles down the road. If that is the benchmark then we are stuffed and the world will make the sport irrelevant within 5-10 years.

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The original XIII Catalans used to get a few hundred people watching them before they were in Super League.

Honestly, the argument against Toulouse seems to be solely based on not having big well supported clubs 5 miles down the road. If that is the benchmark then we are stuffed and the world will make the sport irrelevant within 5-10 years.

Clever strategists/club officials shouldn't be viewing Toulouse through the prism of they don't bring any away fans, they should be looking at how much commercial capital can they attract by having a French big city club in town. Corporate sales is something Leeds do very well. 

6 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Toulouse is the best away fixture on the calendar. Bar none.

Toronto was an absolute blast. They won the play off and rightfully took their place in SL.

Toulouse only have to win the final and its theirs to enjoy.

And if they don't Fev will not let SL down either. I really see nothing outside the central handout to differentiate Featherstone with Leigh, Salford, Huddersfield and Wakefield.

Taking pot shots at Toulouse and crowds they get for fixtures against p/t clubs is not the answer - it is a pre-war RL club with a lot of backing behind it. They have never had the opportunity to play in a high profile league. It is untapped potential.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

And if they don't Fev will not let SL down either. I really see nothing outside the central handout to differentiate Featherstone with Leigh, Salford, Huddersfield and Wakefield.

Taking pot shots at Toulouse and crowds they get for fixtures against p/t clubs is not the answer - it is a pre-war RL club with a lot of backing behind it. They have never had the opportunity to play in a high profile league. It is untapped potential.

I like toulouse. It's a cracking place that is rugby daft. I love watching rugby there. 

If they win the gf.... up they go. Absolutely no problem with that. Without wanting another 450 page gyratory about Toronto,  I wished they'd made a better fist of it too. More the merrier for me.

So we have a situation where NRL players and families and are currently being duck taped into their hotel rooms in Queensland. How does this sit against the highest safety standards for our players that is being banded about for the RLWC?

30 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Not quite a 2 horse race just yet..........🤣

In all seriousness though there is still the question about where Toulouse will play their at least 1 home play off game. As it stands unless they have to play London first then they will be at a disdvantage having to come over here to play their home games.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

Not quite a 2 horse race just yet..........🤣

In all seriousness though there is still the question about where Toulouse will play their at least 1 home play off game. As it stands unless they have to play London first then they will be at a disdvantage having to come over here to play their home games.

I think if we are at the business end of the season with clubs involved willing to accept a SL place in Feb 2022 if they win the Championship, they should be made to travel to France or forfeit the game 24-0. The clubs vying for promotion are either aspiring to be elite full time sports clubs or they aren't. You can't have your cake and eat it really.

18 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Toulouse are the new Toronto.

You don't have to say a bad word about them, it just needs to be deemed so. All means nowt though cos they ain't gonna be there supporting Toulouse, bag o wind. 

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think if we are at the business end of the season with clubs involved willing to accept a SL place in Feb 2022 if they win the Championship, they should be made to travel to France or forfeit the game 24-0. The clubs vying for promotion are either aspiring to be elite full time sports clubs or they aren't. You can't have your cake and eat it really.

Its not about the clubs its about the players. Most players for the part time clubs will still play in the Championship next season promotion or not.

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its not about the clubs its about the players. Most players for the part time clubs will still play in the Championship next season promotion or not.

No the players represent the clubs. The clubs need to show they are a SL club in waiting. Logistics for one game is not that difficult. Toulouse have invested millions because they want to be a SL club. Why wouldn't Fev or Fax or Bradford or whoever invest in themselves too if they were serious and wanted to accept promotion and the central handout?

Or do they want all the rewards with non of the outlay/risk?

15 minutes ago, Scubby said:

No the players represent the clubs. The clubs need to show they are a SL club in waiting. Logistics for one game is not that difficult. Toulouse have invested millions because they want to be a SL club. Why wouldn't Fev or Fax or Bradford or whoever invest in themselves too if they were serious and wanted to accept promotion and the central handout?

Or do they want all the rewards with non of the outlay/risk?

Because currently they are playing to the rules for Championship clubs, not SL clubs. Many (probably vast majority) of the PT players at the Champ clubs would still be PT Championship players next season even if their club wins promotion. Why should they have to risk the (real I'd guess in a few cases) possibility of losing their jobs outside rugby? 

Archived