Sun 25 Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

No the players represent the clubs. The clubs need to show they are a SL club in waiting. Logistics for one game is not that difficult. Toulouse have invested millions because they want to be a SL club. Why wouldn't Fev or Fax or Bradford or whoever invest in themselves too if they were serious and wanted to accept promotion and the central handout?

Or do they want all the rewards with non of the outlay/risk?

LTS has put it perfectly. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Because currently they are playing to the rules for Championship clubs, not SL clubs. Many (probably vast majority) of the PT players at the Champ clubs would still be PT Championship players next season even if their club wins promotion. Why should they have to risk the (real I'd guess in a few cases) possibility of losing their jobs outside rugby? 

The club could negotiate a paid release for time they miss work. Will Fev or Bradford accept promotion to SL and the money that follows if they win the Championship. It is an investment in that isn't it? Remember broken time payments?

Some people on here think it is quite normal to expect Toulouse to fulfil all their home fixtures they have had cancelled by flying privately to the doorstep of penniless Championship clubs. They are investing in a long term future. Other clubs are winging it.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

I think if we are at the business end of the season with clubs involved willing to accept a SL place in Feb 2022 if they win the Championship, they should be made to travel to France or forfeit the game 24-0. The clubs vying for promotion are either aspiring to be elite full time sports clubs or they aren't. You can't have your cake and eat it really.

I'd jump.at the chance to go to France. No problem. 🇫🇷 🇫🇷 🇫🇷 🇫🇷 🇫🇷

19 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

The problem for Toulouse is that there are not many people interested enough to pay money to watch them so they are totally dependent on their benefactor. 

Who is this benefactor that you're crediting with funding TO? As far as I know, there is no such person.

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

If only it were this easy. Maybe the clubs could sort out relief staff as well. 

It is 6+ weeks away from the play offs it's called logistical planning. Clubs are either serious organisations in a position to play SL in Feb or they aren't. Default position cry poverty and someone will bend the rules for them.

26 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is 6+ weeks away from the play offs it's called logistical planning. Clubs are either serious organisations in a position to play SL in Feb or they aren't. Default position cry poverty and someone will bend the rules for them.

No team in the championship is in a position to play in SL in Feb. The main component of that is having players of a standard that can play at that level. Any team getting promotoed is likely to change well over 50% of their squad and its their current squads that have the logistical problem of playing in France not the squad that would take the field in SL. 🤣

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

No team in the championship is in a position to play in SL in Feb. The main component of that is having players of a standard that can play at that level. Any team getting promotoed is likely to change well over 50% of their squad and its their current squads that have the logistical problem of playing in France not the squad that would take the field in SL. 🤣

You have got this sorted. Exactly.

7 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

I was under the impression that clubs were not travelling to Toulouse on the advice of the government and the RFL rather than the clubs and this would determine whether clubs travel there.

The Govt are allowing people to travel to France - non jabbed have to have PCRs but those who are double jabbed have no problem other than quarantine when they return to the UK.

HKR have just travelled without quarantine on their return afaik.

35 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

There´s a solution to this, you could just make Elite 1 and RFL Champ same level with one promotion spot for each. Part time UK clubs don´t need to travel to france. French clubs have a route to SL without needed to waste money on travel and makes Elite 1 a viable product. 

Elite 1, overall, is a weaker comp than the championship and most of the stadia wouldn’t satisfy SL requirements anyway.  To promote the winner of the Elite GF would be a crazy idea.

43 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The Govt are allowing people to travel to France - non jabbed have to have PCRs but those who are double jabbed have no problem other than quarantine when they return to the UK.

HKR have just travelled without quarantine on their return afaik.

From what I read, the French Amber+ status will be back to Amber next week, which means no quarantine on arrival in the UK.

Considering TO are paying for all the travel and testing anyway, no club should have an excuse to not travel from next week.

So just two "real" home games for TO this season, Halifax and York. 

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I don't think Scubby means the playing squad. It's the organisational and logistical elements of the business that need to be in place. 

44 minutes ago, kiggy said:

From what I read, the French Amber+ status will be back to Amber next week, which means no quarantine on arrival in the UK.

Considering TO are paying for all the travel and testing anyway, no club should have an excuse to not travel from next week.

So just two "real" home games for TO this season, Halifax and York. 

If you can give me a link to thatAmber status Kiggy it would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

I don't think Scubby means the playing squad. It's the organisational and logistical elements of the business that need to be in place. 

Oh I agree with that but it still does not change the fact that come the playoffs it will be this years part time players that are required to play.

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Elite 1, overall, is a weaker comp than the championship and most of the stadia wouldn’t satisfy SL requirements anyway.  To promote the winner of the Elite GF would be a crazy idea.

Lol SL stadia requirements 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Archived